Suggestion: SMS activation

• While I realize that this could be somewhat at odds with a focus on privacy, I would suggest requiring SMS activation, at least to use some features (like creating a blog). The reason I'm not really sad about My Opera (as a web site) is going away is that it's become heavily spam-infested. I personally banned several hundred thousand spam accounts last year, for example. New blogs typically seem to be spam as well. I'm not sure what the goal of this site is when it comes to user adoption. If it's to grow its membership as fast as possible I suppose SMS activation is out of the question. If it's more about an actual community of people (quality over quantity) SMS activation could help. At the very least I hope the spam problem is being considered at "Vivaldi HQ". I'm fairly sure Jon knew about the spam problem at My Opera before he sadly left Opera.

• @haavard:

I would suggest requiring SMS activation, at least to use some features (like creating a blog).

I don't have a cell, so requiring sms would be a nuisance as I'd have to use someone else's cell to activate.

• @haavard:

requiring SMS activation

I'll get out of vivaldi.net at the speed of light if that happens :dry:

• I can see your way of thinking haavard but not everyone has or even wants a mobile phone. If that was a requirement I would never have joined here or at My Opera come to that. :(

• @Luxor:

I can see your way of thinking haavard but not everyone has or even wants a mobile phone.

Or wants to give their number to some website.

• It seems then that a question arises: what other privacy-respecting methods exist and can be employed (that don't exhaust the mods through continual "policing") to avoid the onslaught of spam that will eventually come? And, make no mistake, it WILL come.

• @burnout426:

@haavard:

I would suggest requiring SMS activation, at least to use some features (like creating a blog).

I don't have a cell, so requiring sms would be a nuisance as I'd have to use someone else's cell to activate.

Actually, due to some of the spam issues here, I wouldn't mind something like the following:

• Require email activation to activate the account for starters.

• Require something in the sign-up form to make it slightly harder for bots to create accounts (captcha for example or something creative).

• Also require SMS activation to fully activate your account. But, have a fallback. The fallback would be that to fully activate your account, you have to post in the "account activation" forum (you wouldn't be able to post anywhere else but there until you're fully activated) introducing yourself.

Introducing yourself would be just saying hi and your name or some where you're asking for account activation approval. Then, members and mods would post a comment in the thread asking you something. Then, if your response was intelligible and it sounds like you're human, a mod could approve you. There could be an upvote/downvote next to the response you give so that members (that aren't modes) can show their opinion on whether you sound legit or not. The mod can use that info when deciding whether to approve or not.

That should cut down on quite a bit of spam. It would allow spammers to spam the account activation forum. But, at least it could be dealt with there instead of all over the place.

The frequency of posts/comments you make could be restricted a tad at first too.

And, of course, members should be able to report posts like they can now. But, there should be something where uses can mark a post/comment as spam where if enough users do, the post/comments gets removed for further review. That way, the post can be removed from the public faster.

Also, activating via land-line (copper or voip number) might be another fallback for sms activation. But, that might get expensive for Vivaldi. Don't know though as there might be some way to keep that super cheap.

• @burnout426:

There could be an upvote/downvote next to the response you give so that members (that aren't modes) can show their opinion on whether you sound legit or not.

That's a terrible idea. :ohmy:

• I assume you feel that people would abuse it? Or, you just hate the idea in general?

• @burnout426:

I assume you feel that people would abuse it? Or, you just hate the idea in general?

Right first time, some people would abuse it.
    That sort of decision should be left to the site owners and/or moderators.

• @Luxor:

@burnout426:

I assume you feel that people would abuse it? Or, you just hate the idea in general?

Right first time, some people would abuse it.
    That sort of decision should be left to the site owners and/or moderators.

O.K. Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.