Google employees worldwide staging walkout to protest response to sexual misconduct claims

• Imgur

Hundreds of Google employees staged walkouts around the world Thursday to protest the company's response to allegations of sexual misconduct.

Using the hashtag #googlewalkout, images spread across social media of employees of the tech giant walking out at 11:10 local time in response to a report last month by The New York Times which said the company handed Android mobile software creator Andy Rubin a $90 million exit package, but failed to disclose it was because an employee accused him of sexual misconduct.

Images of the walkouts have posted globally, from Tokyo and Singapore to New York.

"All employees and contract workers across the company deserve to be safe," read a column from organizers published by The Cut. "Sadly, the executive team has demonstrated through their lack of meaningful action that our safety is not a priority."

In an email to employees Oct. 25 — the same day the Times story published — Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the company is "dead serious" about providing a safe workplace for all employees.

Full article

• Tech companies are the worst†. They outsource to factories that mistreat workers. They allow for harassment in their offices. They have ridiculous crunch periods. They dodge tax as much as is legally possible. They seem to operate out of the bounds of what is normally considered moral in the name of profit.

Actually, this is pretty much every large company tech or not, right?

What can you do.

† Present company excluded of course

• @lonm said in Google employees worldwide staging walkout to protest response to sexual misconduct claims:

Tech companies are the worst†. They outsource to factories that mistreat workers. They allow for harassment in their offices. They have ridiculous crunch periods. They dodge tax as much as is legally possible. They seem to operate out of the bounds of what is normally considered moral in the name of profit.

What can you do.

I'd like to, but it turns out that there are not many valid alternatives to many of Google's products.

• @lonm said in Google employees worldwide staging walkout to protest response to sexual misconduct claims:

Tech companies are the worst†. They outsource to factories that mistreat workers. They allow for harassment in their offices. They have ridiculous crunch periods. They dodge tax as much as is legally possible. They seem to operate out of the bounds of what is normally considered moral in the name of profit.

What can you do.

I go with it being true of every large company, tech or not. As they say in Britain, once you reach a certain amount of wealth and influence, be it corporate or personal, both laws and taxes become "voluntary".

Like others, unfortunately I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. I love Vivaldi on my desktop machine, but as my main laptop is a Chromebook and my phone is Android (albeit the Blackberry take on Android) it's hard to make a clean break without giving up a lot of simplicity and convenience.

• @krystal said in Google employees worldwide staging walkout to protest response to sexual misconduct claims:

@lonm said in Google employees worldwide staging walkout to protest response to sexual misconduct claims:

What can you do.

I go with it being true of every large company, tech or not. As they say in Britain, once you reach a certain amount of wealth and influence, be it corporate or personal, both laws and taxes become "voluntary".

Like others, unfortunately I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. I love Vivaldi on my desktop machine, but as my main laptop is a Chromebook and my phone is Android (albeit the Blackberry take on Android) it's hard to make a clean break without giving up a lot of simplicity and convenience.

It is always related to problems, when a multinational also has a monopoly position. This always sooner or later leads to abuse and Google is no exception.
    Nowadays it is not possible to do without any other Google product or directly related to this company, most of them without a valid alternative, without considerably worsening the functionality on the network.

• Unfortunately, that's so true 😞

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.