Strange frozen page when uploading to OneDrive

• Hi. When uploading a folder of photos there suddenly appeared a black page with an "Aladdin's Lamp" logo in the centre. Refreshed the page and only about 80MB of 113MB had been uploaded. After refresh, I checked what was missing and managed to re-upload it. Has happened 3 times now.
    I'd like to know what it means, why it happens and how to stop it.
    MS claim no knowledge of it so I rather think it's the browser.
    Seems more likely to happen with larger folder sizes so now I've finished all my photos (about 6GB total) I'm loathe to start my videos with their much larger folder sizes.
    Any ideas much appreciated.

• Hello guys - anyone there?
    Would really appreciate an idea on this - thanks.

• @rufford155 said in Strange frozen page when uploading to OneDrive:

with an "Aladdin's Lamp" logo in the centre

Do you mean a "dead bird"? see https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/26686/get-rid-of-the-dead-birds

If so, that means the tab has crashed.
    I don't use OneDrive so can't help with the problem, sorry.

But you could tell us the Vivaldi (and Windows) versions.
    Also, have you tested with a clean profile (to be sure extensions are not causing this)?
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/10388/refreshing-or-cleaning-your-profile For a good guide (written by @Ayespy )

• Have never had an issue with OneDrive (or its predecessor) but do not usually upload folders of that size. 42MB of photos has been my largest.
    Remember that MS will take responsibility for nothing.
    Perhaps "Hibernating" other Tabs may help (if you have others open).
    When uploading such large folders perhaps keep the Vivaldi Task Manger open to monitor what is going on. That will also allow a more complete report of what is going on to Vivaldi.

• Well now I know I've really gone senile, not recognising a dead bird !
    That's certainly a more appropriate crash indication than a lamp, although a text message would be infinitely better.
    It was obviously crashed anayway as everything was frozen, couldn't even take a screenshot, although the page would refresh.
    I might try a different browser and I'm going to try uploading directly with OneDrive but I have a different problem with that.
    Thanks for your help.

• Are you using onedrive personal or business? I uploaded 400Mb and can't replicate the issue.

@rufford155 said in Strange frozen page when uploading to OneDrive:

(...) appeared a black page with an "Aladdin's Lamp" logo in the centre

Lamp? That is not created by the browser itself. Must be a Onedrive online part.

• @kitsura said in Strange frozen page when uploading to OneDrive:

Are you using onedrive personal or business? I uploaded 400Mb and can't replicate the issue.

I am using personal OneDrive with the browser which occasionally hangs and gives me the dead bird logo.
    I want to use the desktop app to upload instead but it won't recognise my personal account (although signing in from the browser does!)
    It thinks I have a business account, which I don't, but won't accept my email address anyway.
    So I am in conversation with OneDrive help trying to fix this.

• @gwen-dragon said in Strange frozen page when uploading to OneDrive:

@rufford155 said in Strange frozen page when uploading to OneDrive:

(...) appeared a black page with an "Aladdin's Lamp" logo in the centre

Lamp? That is not created by the browser itself. Must be a Onedrive online part.

Yes it is from the browser, that's obvious now - see the earlier posts about it.
    The uploads must be overworking something but I'm not sure if it's the browser or onedrive or my laptop itself.

I know it might not be the best solution for you, but I actually use MS Edge to do most of the stuff connected to my Microsoft Account (including uploading files to OneDrive). It is mainly out of the sheer convenience because since I'm logged into my MS account on my PC, I'm automatically logged into all MS services when I use Edge. The additional benefit is that they're both MS products, so they usually work well together.

Sure, none of this changes the fact, that it should work well in Vivaldi too. Right now I don't have anything particular to upload to my OneDrive, but in a couple of weeks I'm going to have some decent amount of pictures that I need to upload there, so I'll keep this in mind to do it using Vivaldi this time and see how it behaves...

• @pafflick I don't have Edge as I'm still on 8.1 but I did try IE11 which did go a lot better, certainly no crashes, so thanks for that. I'd also tried Firefox which also didn't crash but everything else was really slowed down. Other things were slower with IE too, I think the upload process hogs the memory. So I am starting my big uploads before I go out or before bed. The minor irritation with IE is that, for some reason, there is no option to upload a folder, only files.

UPDATE. I just uploaded about 40 photos (it was only 20 MB of data though) to my OneDrive using Vivaldi and it went pretty smoothly. No problems at all. Later this month I shall have more photos (hi-res this time) to upload, so I'll try Vivaldi again, to see if I stumble upon any issues. Will let you know.

• @pafflick Many thanks for your efforts.
    I decided IE11 was the best browser route and have finished uploading all my photos & videos, just over 40GB in total.

ANOTHER UPDATE. As I said before, I was going to upload a bit more photos to my OneDrive account and so I did, just a few moments ago. I've uploaded 102 photos (251 MB total) using Vivaldi and I didn't have any issues. No hangs, crashes, errors, dead birds, no nothing. All went pretty smoothly here. (Vivaldi 2.1.1337.47 64-bit on Windows 10 ver. 1803, x64)

I suspect that there might be something in your browser that causes this error (like a browser extension) or perhaps there is a different factor that might play a role (like the number of opened tabs, type of content on other, opened websites, hardware performance etc.). But this is just a guess...

• @pafflick Thanks again for your interest and efforts.
    My laptop is not particulary high spec so might be the issue although other browsers didn't have the same problem.
    As you say it's mostly guesswork !
    I'll try Vivaldi again when I next have new stuff to upload.
    I've just noticed my version 2.1.1337.51 is 32-bit whilst the laptop is 64-bit so maybe an upgrade would help.
    Do I uninstall current version first? If so, will I then lose my bookmarks, settings, etc ?

@rufford155 Make a backup of your profile (just in case) and install the new version over the old one. That should do it.
    As for the issue, you might try uploading something to OneDrive using "vanilla" installation of Vivaldi. Read on how to refresh your profile and try Vivaldi again, with the refreshed profile. If the upload works there, it should at least help you exclude some of the possible sources of the issue...

• @pafflick Thanks, I'll try all this when I can find the time.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.