One suggestion: disabling HTML5 video playback

• An updated version of the old "enable plugins" option from Opera that could be added to a toolbar. It was great because 99% of the time I don't need Flash enabled while browsing, and then I could quickly enable it for those few sites (setting an exception in the site preferences was also a good solution) But right now we don't have any control over the embedded HTML5 players. No user override to prevent autoplay settings, nothing to prevent them from loading in the first place. You could place a button next to the "show images" one.

• The Plugins on Demand feature was useful in Opera for users for whom bandwidth is an issue. That needs an update for HTML5.

Opera Turbo mode has also been requested a few times. I think there may be a significant cost associated with this, as they would need to maintain servers, so don't expect to see that any time soon.

• @dib_:

… But right now we don't have any control over the embedded HTML5 players. No user override to prevent autoplay settings, nothing to prevent them from loading in the first place. You could place a button next to the "show images" one.

+1. A growing major annoyance for me is the number of news sites now inserting into a headlined story multiple videos that both auto-play and "auto-scroll" at the end of the related video (on to the next unrelated news story the site wants to push). I wish, as you suggest, there was a video (both Flash and HTML5) enable/disable button on a toolbar. Much of the time, I don't want to view any video, but instead simply want to read the text of the article.

• Turbo does have a cost to run those servers, because they're basically running a major proxy service. Something to consider at a later time. I'm just interested in taking control over what sites can do.

Someone posted a setting here in the forum, that enables you to activate Blink's "click to play" feature. I thought it was in the flags, but I can't find it there. I took advantage of it when I saw it, to optimize my resource usage and shut up the damn auto-play video ads, etc., and that's how I'm set right now, but if I had to revert the setting, I'm not sure how I'd do it (fresh profile and reinstall probably).

But there IS a Blink/Chromium setting for this. One just has to know how to find it.

Edit: Found it. the shortcut to the setting is “chrome://settings/content”

This brings up a window for content and content handler settings.

• A prime example of this weird behavior is on the www.bloomberg.com website. Once you are in the articles videos start auto-playing as you scroll down. I get different behavior at my home vs work computer but it's still wonky.

The chrome setting to only run plug-ins as "click to play" affects all plug-ins and not just video, so a bit overboard.

@wiltocking:

A prime example of this weird behavior is on the www.bloomberg.com website. Once you are in the articles videos start auto-playing as you scroll down. I get different behavior at my home vs work computer but it's still wonky.

The chrome setting to only run plug-ins as "click to play" affects all plug-ins and not just video, so a bit overboard.

On the same page, I think there's a setting to "detect important media" or some such, so that things don't always play.

• @Ayespy:

@wiltocking:

… The chrome setting to only run plug-ins as "click to play" affects all plug-ins and not just video, so a bit overboard.

On the same page, I think there's a setting to "detect important media" or some such, so that things don't always play.

Unfortunately, most of us as users are in the dark as to what "important media" actually constitutes in Vivaldi's estimation. Moreover, if it's in any way left to the websites themselves to define, then rest assured that eventually all media will come to be labeled/coded/ID'd as "important" by the sites. My biggest concern is that, both because of intrusiveness and bandwidth consumption, video and/or audio playback needs to be broken out into its own sub-category of plug-in (or whatever) control, as @wiltocking noted… there are a variety of "media"-related plug-ins in the world that one might want to leave enabled whilst disabling Flash or HTML5 or whatever.

This has nothing to do with Vivaldi, really. It's just a chromium functionality built in to Blink. Vivaldi's solution has not been built/implemented yet, obviously.

I'm gonna say that since I changed my setting from "click to play" to "detect important media," that now Vivaldi is performing the way I would like. No ads are automatically played, all videos are presented ready-to-play, and my pages that are BASED on an app (like flash or Siverlight) start with the app.

This is OK for me for now.

• I agree, "click to play" works well enough on most sites (corporate intranet being the exception, even then just have to click a few times to get them working). Thanks for the help.

Vivaldi even as a TP3 is good enough to finally pull me away from Opera 12 for daily use. I've been using Opera since I purchased a student licence for myself years ago. Nothing will ever beat it's cache capabilities to quickly browse forward/back in multiple tabs but it was beginning to show compatibility issues. So I'm happy with what the dev team has done with Vivaldi, keep it going! This is indeed the true successor to Opera.

• I'm not sure what the "detect important media" setting is actually called, but when I searched that exact phrase on Google, the only close to relevant result was this very thread.

@lewisje:

I'm not sure what the "detect important media" setting is actually called, but when I searched that exact phrase on Google, the only close to relevant result was this very thread.

At the page chrome://settings/content it's "detect and run important plugin content." That's the exact wording.

• Just so you know. After spending some time fixing other page issues with Java Runtime, I've refined the solution to the playback issue to the following:

Leave "Run all plugin content (recommended)" selected. Then under "Manage Exceptions" add the offending website with the behavior set to Ask .

This has created the best experience.

• Leave "Run all plugin content (recommended)" selected. Then under "Manage Exceptions" add the offending website with the behavior set to Ask .

No, this is not a solution. Vivaldi devs should definitely add click to play for html5 "embeds".

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.