SOLVED ! - TABs Open WHERE ? (Please Let Us Open New Tabs Next to the Active Tab)

• ~ [b]THIS JUST IN :[/b] Yesturday, someone began yet another thread like this one and its many predecessors, someone else proposed a solution, involving an extension, I tried it, and whattayaknow, it WORKED ! I posted the details in that thread, at : https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/3535-suggestions-for-the-tabs#27570 So it looks like the old saying applies here : "All's well...." :cheer: B) ~ ~ [b]ORIGINAL OPENING POST :[/b] Original Thread Title : [b]TABs Open WHERE ? - You Got to be Kidding ![/b] I am very impressed with Vivaldi in many ways, and have said so in numerous other posts. However.... Please could we have a confirmation that the basic crucial functionality of letting us choose (in the settings) [color=red]the position of all newly opened tabs[/color] (no matter how they are requested, including from a bookmark as well as from a link) to be an option of either [u]Next to Parent Tab[/u] [needed option], or [u]at the Far Right of All Tabs[/u] [current default] is receiving attention from Vivaldi coders ? Nearly all other browsers currently let us make a choice about this. Thanks :) ~

• You don't get the concept of feature requests do you?

Everyone has their own favourite features, and some have their pet hates too. As with all program development, features get added over time if they are a high priority for most/many users, not because some immature users post insulting comments about how this must be done at once.

• ~
    I do get the concept, and am for the most part polite - but also I am insistent, and repetitive, as in maybe the ol' squeaky wheel getting oiled. ;)

The underlying problem for me is that Vivaldi has NEVER to my knowledge published a list of items which are already ON their TO-DO list - Not even when they did their survey - So it made it hard to prioritize what we wanted when replying to the survey, because we did not know which features/functions they had excluded from that survey because they were already on the TO-DO list.

And I'm not asking for an ETA - just for a reply that my request is already on the list - or not on it.

• That's because Vivaldi is still a Technical Preview. That means there is a gazillion things in their to-do list that are more important than the features we are asking for.

• @GrandGamer:

That's because Vivaldi is still a Technical Preview. That means there is a gazillion things in their to-do list that are more important than the features we are asking for.

~
    Your comment does not speak to anything which I have said.

I and others simply need to know whether or not something (such as this item) is on their list, and nobody has published the list, so it's much like a game of 'Battleship', in that we are forced to ask about each and every item which matters to us.

As I said before, I am not asking for an ETA, just communication and basic info.
    ~

• As usual, the ETA is ‘When it's ready.’

As with any program development, feature requests get assigned a priority, and if/when they reach the top of the list they get implemented. Nobody is going to give you a date for this, or any other fix. The best you will ever get is “We're working on it.”

It's not like it's something really wacky that nobody needs, but then neither is it an essential feature for a browser.

The underlying problem that you have is that you don't understand how program development works. It was always thus with the old Opera too. There were wish-list forum threads of twenty pages, with people demanding HTML email, or mail encryption, or a hundred other (for them) must-have features. None of them were fixed immediately. My pet feature requestion (a one-click backup solution for email and preferences) was never implemented.

That's the way it is. Users don't get to decide what is most important to fix or implement. That's the decision that developers have to make.

So just quit nagging. It may happen one day, and if not, life will continue.

• @Pesala:

As usual, the ETA is ‘When it's ready.’….

....So just quit nagging. It may happen one day, and if not, life will continue.

~
    How many times do I have to say that I am NOT asking for an ETA ?! (This is 3 now, in the current thread.)

All I want is for someone from Vivaldi's end to post those four little words : "We're working on it", or four others : "We will not be".

I do not deserve the tirade which you just gave me.

We're on the same side here, aren't we ?
    ~

• I think there's an issue of "indefiniteness" involved here that's being overlooked. When a design group of a couple of dozen designers undertakes a major effort that comprises literally many hundreds of potential features, while they need to know what features matter most to their users, nevertheless those features don't all end up on prioritized detailed task lists neatly divided among the handful of designers. Designers work on specific and overlapping areas of the overall task, and they tend to incorporate whatever relevant features they can at any given time, hopefully having minimal negative impact on other areas which other designers are working on… relevant features which support the overall evolution of the end item as it stands at that point in time.

Any particular feature, such as Tab Opening Position may or may not fall easily into somebody's work flow at a given point in time. If it does, issues arising with other efforts may negate its easy implementation 'tomorrow'; if it does not, a breakthrough or emphasis change for other reasons 'tomorrow' may cause it to become easy-as-pie to implement. In other words, it's indefinite whether certain specific features can be included or when. And indefinite doesn't mean the feature will never be included - it simply means there may be no way to tell at this point in time as to when or how - or if.

I believe the stated intent of the designers is to incorporate as much user flexibility into Vivaldi as they possibly can... but how much can be included, in what timeframe, and the code-bulk and performance impacts that result from many specific features simply can't be determined until the design has further evolved. Whether that includes Tab Opening Position (or any other of a mass of requested features), it all has to await the further unfolding of the design.

I use a lot of out-of-the-box software, into whose designs I've had zero input. I welcome the rare opportunity we have here to contribute feature requests to a design and give our underlying reasoning behind them. But I have no reasonable expectation that each request will initiate a dialogue or response from the developers. They have their work to do; I have made my inputs (and will continue to do so); now I'm content to sit back and see how it all comes together.

Your outlook on this and mine, blackbird, are essentially identical. I'm not a developer, and no longer do any programming, but my work does involve some very technical stuff, input from multiple professionals simultaneously, and structural or environmental factors that surprise everyone.

The people I work with are some of the most effective and successful in their industries, and yet, no plan ever survives contact with the multiple factors of the real world. Knowing this, we make no promises, predict no results, but merely soldier on, adjusting strategies sometimes daily, until the final outcome arrives, sometimes years after the initial problem presents itself.

Add that to the fact that my older brother IS a programmer who "speaks compiler," one of the brightest around (who has single-handedly written proprietary data warehouses, logical "games" and cross-platform communication protocols for some staggeringly huge companies going back to the 1970's, complete with seeming insurmountable obstacles) and I think I have enough context to understand what developers are up against. I can be patient, yet confident that good things will arrive.

• I agree with Pesala, Blackbird and Ayespy about how development of software takes place and how developers work to achieve the established goals, including changing priorities and directions when necessary.

However I certainly can agree with davesnothere – Is anyone out there actually looking at the Vivaldi Features Request? The opening statement for that topic is "We cannot promise everything you ask for will be implemented but we are very interested in hearing your suggestion!" This was on 27 January 2015.

At this moment, there are 863 replies to the request. Many of the requests posted there contain more than one request, so the are probably way more than 1000 requests. Added to that confusion we do not know how many are duplicates or triplicates or beyond, but I would think out of 863, there are many, many.

• @litehorse3:

….However I certainly can agree with davesnothere -- Is anyone out there actually looking at the Vivaldi Features Request? The opening statement for that topic is "We cannot promise everything you ask for will be implemented but we are very interested in hearing your suggestion!" This was on 27 January 2015.

At this moment, there are 863 replies to the request. Many of the requests posted there contain more than one request, so the are probably way more than 1000 requests. Added to that confusion we do not know how many are duplicates or triplicates or beyond, but I would think out of 863, there are many, many.

~
    So are you saying that it would be worthwhile for Vivaldi to publish a TO-DO list ?

Again, not asking for any ETA's, in fact something sorted alphabetically would be best, if it might contain THAT many entries ! ;)
    ~

• davesnothere - I as I tried to point out with 863 replies to the Feature Request thread and multiple requests in probably most of the replies and many duplicates, it would be a lifetime ordeal to try to straighten all of the requests.

The only solution that comes to mind right now is to do a search of in the Feature Request if I want to see if a request has already been posted.

Maybe squeaking wheels will get the grease, but I am just going to wait and enjoy Vivaldi as it matures. I am accepting what I consider its shortcomings at this time and trying work arounds. So tips and tricks that others have shared have made my experience better. I have hopes that each new snapshot will give me another one or two features that I want, but I also accept that the developers have priorities that differ from mine.

• @davesnothere:

You deserved everything you got and more. No we're not on the same side.

I am doing what little I can to help the developers by reporting issues, suggesting improvements, and helping other users by offering them tips or workarounds. I don't disagree with your request to open tabs next to the active tab, but the developers obviously already know about this, and it will no doubt get fixed in due course. Your thread title is insulting, and the thread is a waste of forum space.

The developers should spend their time working on the issues that they regard as the highest priority, not compiling ToDo lists and answering everyone on the forum who posts a feature request. Numerous ideas about polls and wish-lists were mooted before. They never come to anything because they don't work. Even if there was a neatly sorted list, users would post elsehwhere, and it would be out-of-date within days.

it would be a lifetime ordeal to try to straighten all of the requests.

People who only care about their own pet bugs and features, and nag until they get it .. are neither helping the developers nor other users. They are just a pain in the butt because they don't understand how development works.

• @litehorse3:

….The only solution that comes to mind right now is to do a search of in the Feature Request, if I want to see if a request has already been posted.

Maybe squeaking wheels will get the grease, but I am just going to wait and enjoy Vivaldi as it matures. I am accepting what I consider its shortcomings at this time and trying workarounds. So tips and tricks that others have shared have made my experience better…..

~
    I agree and am doing those things too.

But it doesn't mean that I should not speak up when I have something to say, does it ?

I also agree about searching the long thread.

But even if a particular request is already in it, that is no guarantee that it is also on that unpublished list which I keep mentioning. ;)
    ~

• @Pesala:

@davesnothere:

You deserved everything you got and more. No we're not on the same side.

Well, I'm glad that we got THAT straightened out ! ;)
    ~

@Pesala:

I am doing what little I can to help the developers by reporting issues, suggesting improvements, and helping other users by offering them tips or workarounds.

I don't disagree with your request to open tabs next to the active tab, but the developers obviously already know about this, and it will no doubt get fixed in due course. Your thread title is insulting, and the thread is a waste of forum space….

~
    As I said in my reply (just above) to litehorse3, I am helping in those other ways too.

But there is no certainty that our overworked devs know about EVERYthing which gets said around here.

So on some of these points, I guess that we will have to agree to disagree.
    ~

There's another user here who's hobby-horsing a particular request as well. He always says a current feature is wrong and needs to be improved, but never (except once long ago) explains what better would be, and the spamming of the request gets really tiring.

Other comments he posts can be productive, but this one fingernails-on-chalkboard bit of spam makes me dread seeing his comments.

There's a thing in psychology called "reality-testing," whereby a person uses feedback cues to determine what types of communication are acceptable/effective with a particular conversation partner, and adjusts his speech and mannerisms to adapt to the setting. This is, unfortunately, sadly lacking on the internet.

• ~
    THIS JUST IN :

Yesturday, someone began yet another thread like this one and its many predecessors, someone else proposed a solution, involving an extension, I tried it, and whattayaknow, it WORKED !

I posted the details in that thread, at : https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/3535-suggestions-for-the-tabs#27570

So it looks like the old saying applies here : "All's well…."

:cheer: B)
    ~

Hmmmmmm… Now where have I seen that phrase before? :whistle:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.