Open link in new tab on background

• Please ad an option "Open link in new tab on background" to right-click menu. On laptop without mouse is impossoble to do this now. Thanks.

• @xxsml:

Please ad an option "Open link in new tab on background" to right-click menu.
    On laptop without mouse is impossible to do this now.
    Thanks.

Don't touchpads have an option to emulate middle-click? A Google search suggests that it's possible.

I am not in favour of cluttering menus. A better solution is Ctrl + Click or Shift + Click on the Open in new tab item, or a mouse gesture over a link to do the same. In Opera 12.17 gesture down over a link does this — it's so much more efficient than using the right-click menu. On a desktop PC, of course, I have the middle-click option, but GestureDown is another convenient method.

I don't like menu clutter either, but "open in background tab" is pretty necessary.

• I assigned the upper left corner of the touchpad on my laptop as a middle-click and I'm using it for years… What's interesting, in Opera 12 it opens a new tab in foreground (which is perfect for me), but in Vivaldi it does the opposite - a new tab in background.

• In Opera 12 and earlier, the Middle-click Options are assignable. Shift middle-click opens the middle-click options dialogue for me. That's what we like so much about Opera 12 — it is so customisable.

[attachment=1246]Middle-clickOptions.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

Those were the days, my friend.

• @brook:

….What's interesting, in Opera 12 it opens a new tab in foreground (which is perfect for me), but in Vivaldi it does the opposite - a new tab in background.

~
    I find that behaviour completely foreign.

Vivaldi URGENTLY needs to allow us the choice of configuring settings to have all new tabs (regardless of how they are opened, including from Bookmarks as well as from Links) to open in the foreground if we wish, and I DO wish !
    ~

• @Pesala:

In Opera 12 and earlier, the Middle-click Options are assignable. Shift middle-click opens the middle-click options dialogue for me. That's what we like so much about Opera 12 — it is so customisable.

[attachment=1246]Middle-clickOptions.png[/attachment]

~
    THAT's what I mean !

BTW, Mozilla browsers can do some of that natively, and the rest thru an extension.
    ~

• @Pesala:

In Opera 12 and earlier, the Middle-click Options are assignable. Shift middle-click opens the middle-click options dialogue for me. That's what we like so much about Opera 12 — it is so customisable.

I didn't open the middle-click options dialogue for so long, I even forgot ir was MY choice to open the clicked link in a new (foreground) tab. :)

davesnothere wrote

Vivaldi URGENTLY needs to allow us the choice of configuring settings to have all new tabs (regardless of how they are opened, including from Bookmarks as well as from Links) to open in the foreground if we wish, and I DO wish !

This is exactly my wish too

• @brook:

@Pesala:

I didn't open the middle-click options dialogue for so long, I even forgot ir was MY choice to open the clicked link in a new (foreground) tab. :)

davesnothere wrote

This is exactly my wish too.

~
    While it seems to be a secondary side-effect of this extension which some of us recently added for a completely different reason, it appears that Simple Tab Order also makes all new tabs open in the FOREGROUND.

That may not suit everyone, but here is the thread with the deets :

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/3535-suggestions-for-the-tabs#27570
    ~

• davesnothere wrote:
    _While it seems to be a secondary side-effect of this extension which some of us recently added for a completely different reason, it appears that Simple Tab Order also makes all new tabs open in the FOREGROUND.

That may not suit everyone, but here is the thread with the deets :_

vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/…s-for-the-tabs#27570
    ~
    I already posted a link from that thread to this one ;)

• ~
    Yes, I have been so pleased with STO that I have been reviewing any previously bookmarked V-forum threads where posters might benefit from it, and posting the link directing them to the 'discovery' thread.

I have also posted updates with the link into the last couple of snapshot threads at strategic points.

• Agreed

Love Vivaldi browser … But …. Design change request ( one of many )

I really hate when it .. I open a link in a new tab and it switch to it immediately.

Steps to duplicate

1. Web search or a news site (https://news.google.com/news/ ) and you want to review more info but not that second
    2. Right mouse click open in new tab (but you want to stay on the current page).

I have not been able to find anything in the options to make this happen,

@techgreen2020:

Agreed

Love Vivaldi browser … But …. Design change request ( one of many )

I really hate when it .. I open a link in a new tab and it switch to it immediately.

Steps to duplicate

1. Web search or a news site (https://news.google.com/news/ ) and you want to review more info but not that second
    2. Right mouse click open in new tab (but you want to stay on the current page).

I have not been able to find anything in the options to make this happen,

For now you can middle-click or ctrl+click to open new tab in the background. The option to do so by other means (certainly by context menu, and possibly by default) will come when the developers have the chance to implement it.

• @techgreen2020:

….I really hate when it .. I open a link in a new tab and it switch to it immediately....

....I have not been able to find anything in the options to make this happen.

~
    True, Vivaldi will not let you adjust this yet, but the link which I offered above (in post #27654) leads to a thread where not just one, but TWO extensions are described and discussed, and at least one of them (maybe either one) can adjust Vivaldi's behaviour to get you what you want.

I have only used Simple Tab Order (STO) so far, and although I do not want the same thing as YOU do, I noticed that the 2nd setting inside of it could let you force all new tabs to open in the background.

Please review that thread and you should be pleased with some part of what is there. :) B)
    ~

• With the Chrome Simple Tab Order extension, you can set it so that when you open a new tab, it comes out in the foreground. The way that seems to work is that if you Middle Click on a link in Vivaldi, you get the new tab to open in the foreground. The shortcoming there is that you generally seem to have to middle click on the link to open that new tab. Depending on your mouse, sometimes the middle click is more difficult than a right or left click.

That's why I like also (in addition to STO which I use for setting the placement of tabs when they open), the Chrome Extension, called RIght Click Opens Link in New Tab, because you can set your mouse to open a link in a new foreground tab with a right click (while preserving your context menu option, for a long right click or a control right click). https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/right-click-opens-link-in/afalkcagoidkdjdlfoaicbanbfgoamoo

Now the two extensions together make me generally happy, because I don't do background tabs that often. Still, I do use them. So I would like the right click option (via the context menu) to override the extensions, and open the link in a new background tab or a keyboard ability to do it (making use of maybe the shift , alt key, etc). Then almost everything would be covered and make the browsing a breeze..

A nit left (haha, for those of us who like things perfect). :P One ought to be able to open a search in a new foreground tab. Right now the search (from the address bar or the search bar) opens in the same tab. I haven't found an extension to solve this – to get the search open as an option in a new foreground tab. I hope VIvaldi developers can give us a keyboard shortcut (or some other easy means) to get there if we want. Opera 29 uses, I believe, the alt key before pressing enter on a search to open a new foreground tab. That would help.

• @LemB:

….A nit left (haha, for those of us who like things perfect). :P One ought to be able to open a search in a new foreground tab. Right now the search (from the address bar or the search bar) opens in the same tab. I haven't found an extension to solve this -- to get the search open as an option in a new foreground tab. I hope VIvaldi developers can give us a keyboard shortcut (or some other easy means) to get there if we want. Opera 29 uses, I believe, the alt key before pressing enter on a search to open a new foreground tab. That would help.

~
    In Mozilla-Land, we can add an extension to allow that.

I have a movable toolbar button which will open a new tab in foreground, call my default search engine, load into it whatever I have pre-copied into the clipboard, and invoke the search, all from one left-click on the button ! :woohoo:

Of course, that is no help HERE. :silly:

But it shows what might be achieved down the line….
    ~

• @davesnothere:

[ … In Mozilla-Land, we can add an extension to allow that. I have a movable toolbar button which will open a new tab in foreground, call my default search engine, load into it whatever I have pre-copied into the clipboard, and invoke the search, all from one left-click on the button ! :woohoo: Of course, that is no help HERE. :silly: But it shows what might be achieved down the line.... [/quote]But first we need a button-able toolbar (or anywhere else, for that matter) to put the buttons on. I'm exercising patience… but this is one item that is moving up fast on my "want" list.

• @Blackbird:

But first we need a button-able toolbar (or anywhere else, for that matter) to put the buttons on. I'm exercising patience… but this is one item that is moving up fast on my "want" list.

~
    I have been able to create extra buttons thru editing of the bundle.js file, but have had limited success in linking them to commands, because Vivaldi seems to have split up their internal commands into categories or groups, and commands from some groups cannot be mated to buttons which are in a different part of the UI, such as being unable to adapt a Main Menu command to one of my extra buttons.

There ARE some commands which I have been able to successfully assign to a button, but not many which really matter to me.
    ~

• it seems im blind,
    can someone point me to the setting to open a tab in the foreground, when i middle click on a link?
    thx

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.