Speed Dial Needs Love Too

• Speed Dial was a definitive features that set Opera apart form the herd for a lot of its fans, acolytes and users (depending on your perspective :cheer: ) and with the exception of a new folder option Vivaldi now lags behind 'New Opera' and several other browser projects with limitations (and issues) like: · a locked down background image (one man's eye candy is another man's eye sore) · non realizable/configurable tiles · tiles that are wiped when the Vivaldi history is cleared (see long on-going thread [url=https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/2522-no-thumbnails-in-speed-dial]here[/url]) · non configurable tile art Granted Vivaldi has some cool new Speed Dial features as well, but it really could use some love from the Vivaldi team and an update and some configuration options...

In the meantime, you can use these tricks:
    Modifying number of columns in Speed Dial
    Lot of small edits for custom.css (Third hides the + dial)
    Adding custom thumbs in SD
    To edit the SD background you can replace the image in /$VivaldiInstallDir$/resources/vivaldi/resources/bg.jpg/

• Thank you An_dz for the tricks, tips and tweaks. Pretty straightforward really, just rather tedious – and considering that it's surprising the Vivaldi Team hasn't made even a rudimentary interface for these settings (and others), be about as much work as editing them once.

:)

@101459:

Thank you An_dz for the tricks, tips and tweaks. Pretty straightforward really, just rather tedious – and considering that it's surprising the Vivaldi Team hasn't made even a rudimentary interface for these settings (and others), be about as much work as editing them once.

:)

Once the power unit, drive train and controls are sound, we will see fancy paint jobs and chrome.

• @Ayespy:

Once the power unit, drive train and controls are sound, we will see fancy paint jobs and chrome.

Well, compared to early betas of Opera I'd say Vivaldi is quite sound. As well in your analogy the 'power unit and drive train' are already built, in fact all the Vivaldi team are building is 'controls and sound', and the Speed Dial, it's bugs and configuration options are not part and parcelof 'fancy paint jobs and chrome' they're definitive functional user-land features, not aesthetic candy.

Simple straightforward configuration options (and bug fixes) for the features that actually distinguish Vivaldi from other browsers is hardly 'fancy paint jobs and chrome', in fact they're definitive, and decisive for the vast majority of users as to whether they'll continuing to use a browser, or abandon it and likely never give it a second chance.

I don't mind editing CSS, and putting up with bugs and issues, but I know for what ever revenue model the Vivaldi team chooses, they'll want a lot of adopters – and the Vivaldi Speed Dial is one of the first things a new user will see and use, and be attracted to, or, annoyed by...

Vivaldi's Speed Dial has a lot of latent compelling features and potential that could make it definitively cool again, and the Speed Dial was one Opera feature that was consistently lauded in reviews, that was later copied by nearly everyone -- it's disappointing to see it back burnered like a half finished after-thought.

Not sure "back-burnered" is really appropriate. Though the browser engine is outsourced, marrying its capabilities up to a completely original, non-native interface is not. This is why we don't even have private browsing or extensions yet. Getting these very basic and fundamental expectations of most users up to speed seems more important to me than fine-tuning speed dial, no matter how important speed dial is.

I agree it's a pretty important feature, and I'm sure it's gonna get a lot of love. First, however, we really do have to be at square 1 - which we are not yet.

• @Ayespy:

….Though the browser engine is outsourced, marrying its capabilities up to a completely original, non-native interface is not. This is why we don't even have private browsing or extensions yet. Getting these very basic and fundamental expectations of most users up to speed seems more important to me than fine-tuning speed dial, no matter how important speed dial is....

~
    In terms of related purpose and importance (to speed dials, which I personally have not used in the past), I would have to say that lack of full-featured Bookmark access (including a Main Menu dropdown, Toolbar Buttons, and a Context Menu for nested Bookmark Bar Bookmarks) and Bookmark management (including being able to export them) are a large part of what is holding ME back from taking Vivaldi more seriously than I have so far (as good as Vivaldi is in many other respects).

And that is all pretty standard stuff.

Jon, you asked in your survey : "Who still uses Bookmarks ?"

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/browsers/144-who-uses-bookmarks-anyway

I am one of the many. ;)
    ~

• SD was one of the best opera innovations, and yes I believe it deserves not just some love, but a lot of love.

• In the mean time I managed to get an alternate SD working too.

Just download FVD Speed Dial from the chrome store, enable it and then just use the following link to access it.

chrome-extension://llaficoajjainaijghjlofdfmbjpebpa/newtab.html

You can add it to the stock speed dial, bookmark bar, whatever.

Good for those who like it. I tried FVD Speed Dial in Firefox. Kind of hated it.

• @Ayespy:

Good for those who like it. I tried FVD Speed Dial in Firefox. Kind of hated it.

FVD was just an example

Say, install "Speed Dial 3", and then access it with

chrome-extension://hfgjjcbbihjnpdommbepdkpfnkkapnbh/index.html

• While the latest cosmetic updates are nice, it would be really nice if some function was added to Speed Dial like allowing for re-sizing of tiles, and offering an option like the one described here to allow for thoroughly cleaning your browsing history without wiping all your saved tiles as well… While it seems likely this is part of the plan, it really hurts some of Vivaldi's immediate utility and convenience is hurt by this rather badly by this oversight.

• Looks like the Speed-Dial still could use some love… Or is there some check box or setting to prevent from wiping all the work in setting it up they way you like it every time you want to clear all your history?

Also there's a six columns option, but it looks like you have to re-scale the entire interface for this to be of any use, that's not very good.

Vivaldi is my main browser wouldn't care enough to gripe about this if I didn't like the browser so much in general, so yes, more Lurve for Speed-Dial 'pleex'…

:side:

• Considering this was an Opera first, and definitive feature it's gone from disappointing to frustrating see the Speed-Dial is still broken on Vivaldi; more so when there are so many clones of this design now that do it better then what we have here…

:(

Please fix:

· delete history so we can wipe everything but retain Speed Dial thumbnails
    · offer some different scheme for scaling pages and Speed Dial to fit more tiles
    · keep features working across builds

Me love Vivaldi, but Vivaldi is getting a little long in the tooth in the protracted development stage for a front end feature like this to be so broken...

:blink:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.