Desktop Notifications

• Most modern browsers have a desktop notification feature. This is certainly true of Firefox and Chrome Perhaps it's even part of blink, and so already there in Vivaldi, but whether it is or not, I've been unable to get them to work. Can anyone else here confirm if they work for them or not, and if they are in Vivaldi or not?

Desktop notification of what?

• I can honestly say I have no idea what you're talking about :)

• [attachment=1237]desktopnotification.png[/attachment]

That is an example of a desktop notification (produced by gmail)

In chrome, any site can call one, and you have a choice in the settings between asking if a site is allowed to show deskto notifications or automatically denying all sites.
    The notification appears above all other windows, and hovers for a few seconds before disappearing, not dissimilar from the apple notifications or Growl notifications
    Attachments:

• @sleumas2000 are you sure that this topic belongs to the 'All platforms' section? Which OS are you on?

• HTML5 notifications are working as far as I remember, but the permission request dialog is still missing. You can enable them for sites though by pressing the globe / pad lock at the left end of address bar.

• thanks, it works now

• @sleumas2000:

thanks, it works now

I miss this feature as well, and have not been able to get this to work in Vivaldi.

A demo can be found here:
    http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/notifications/quick/

• At the top of that html5rocks page it claims that particular API is deprecated.
    Browsing to the demo on www.paulund.co.uk does not result in success on any browser:

This demo DOES work on Firefox(v. 41) and Google Chrome(v. 42)
    http://alxgbsn.co.uk/notify.js/

It does not work on Vivaldi(v. 1.0.219.50 (Developer Build) (32-bit))

• @dsysko:

At the top of that html5rocks page it claims that particular API is deprecated.
    Browsing to the demo on www.paulund.co.uk does not result in success on any browser:

This demo DOES work on Firefox(v. 41) and Google Chrome(v. 42)
    http://alxgbsn.co.uk/notify.js/

It does not work on Vivaldi(v. 1.0.219.50 (Developer Build) (32-bit))

That's strange since if I recall correctly Vivaldi is based off Chromium 45.

• I believe this stopped working in one of the beta candidates. I hope it returns soon.

• Notifications are still completely broken. Websites keep reporting the browser has disabled them.

The settings in "Content Settings" (accessed via clicking on the Padlock and clicking "Site Settings") are not configurable. None of the settings seem to do anything. And opening up the "Manage Exceptions" dialog does not even give you the option to add a new website.

This is particularly annoying when I'm using Slack at work, I keep missing important messages. Countless other websites also use this notification system.

(I'm currently using 1.0.303.52 (Beta) beta (64-bit) on Linux)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.