Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?

• Vivaldi Ambassador

Just trying to start a fan war because apparently I can.

Jodie Whittaker... the first female Who... Yay or Nay?

The first episode of this series, thumbup or thumbdown?

Any other thoughts?

(Purposely withholding my opinion until I see where this goes; I will side with the victor)

• @joelyoung
    Jodie, Mandip Gill, Tosin Cole - Yay
    But what do you think about the relocation from Cardiff to Sheffield?
    Not sure I can forgive "... with added Sheffield Steel" :lol

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@tbgbe said in Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?:

But what do you think about the relocation from Cardiff to Sheffield?
    Not sure I can forgive "... with added Sheffield Steel" :lol

Yeah we'll just have to tolerate that, lol.

1. Love Jodie; great actress, great Doctor.
    2. Three companions is a surfeit of two.
    3. Mr Toothy was a really crap alien / baddie. Hope they get much better than that. I'm a dedicated Whovian who [snicker] is jaded by the over-abundance of transparently anthropomorphic aliens [last few series, & Ep1 of this]. Either better costuming is needed, or better blending with CGI, but basically aliens with 2 legs, 2 arms, thorax, neck, head structure & proportions of a human actor in a suit look exactly like a human actor in a suit. I wanna be awed & scared, not driven to distraction by a human actor in a suit.
    4. Jodie rulz!
    5. Misogynistic naysayers need to find a dark room & evolve.
    6. Peter Capaldi was lovely in Local Hero, wonderful in Skins, irrepressible in Thick of It & spins, but a boring underwhelming Doctor. His only good line was when he mocked his eyebrows in his Ep1.
    7. Yay Jodie!!!

@steffie said in Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?:

Either better costuming is needed, or better blending with CGI, but basically aliens with 2 legs, 2 arms, thorax, neck, head structure & proportions of a human actor in a suit look exactly like a human actor in a suit. I wanna be awed & scared, not driven to distraction by a human actor in a suit.

You DO realize we are talking about a show produced by British TV studios, right?

• @steffie said in Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?:

Mr Toothy was a really crap alien / baddie. Hope they get much better than that. I'm a dedicated Whovian who [snicker] is jaded by the over-abundance of transparently anthropomorphic aliens [last few series, & Ep1 of this]. Either better costuming is needed, or better blending with CGI, but basically aliens with 2 legs, 2 arms, thorax, neck, head structure & proportions of a human actor in a suit look exactly like a human actor in a suit. I wanna be awed & scared, not driven to distraction by a human actor in a suit.

Do you really want more Dalek episodes/series?
    They've already been eradicated 2 or 3 times :lol

• @ayespy said in Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?:

You DO realize we are talking about a show produced by British TV studios, right?

Yes, isn't it great !!

@tbgbe Well, it is, at least, British. I LOVE their character-driven stuff. I tolerate their science fiction, just to get my senses on the characters and the dialog.

show produced by British TV studios

I tolerate their science fiction

Just a teensy weensy intsy bitsie patronising, perchance? 😋

• @tbgbe said in Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?:

Do you really want more Dalek episodes/series?

Erm, nooooo... nor Cybermen [don't need yet more patriarchal oppression, mechanised or not]. Time for something new, reimagined. Hoping Eps2+ will do that, to match our wonderful reimagined new Doctor.

@steffie No, really, it's my reaction. I am always shocked that they don't do better. It's not like the Brits are stupid, or something, but I feel they must be hamstrung for cash as to production values when it comes to the technical stuff. I LOVE me some Midsommer Murders, but there was a period of a year, there, during which the audio had this insufferable reverb as though it were being recorded in a soup can. For a year, they didn't fix it.

Then there's stuff like Downton Abbey, that was essentially flawless. But it had, and needed, precisely zero in the way of effects.

And then there's the 1997 Dalek, a can on castors, and the 2017 Dalek, a can on castors. Come on.

And then there's Monty Python, whose effects were absolute rubbish, and you absolutely didn't care, (in fact it was part of the charm of the show) because the content was GOLD.

So those are my feelings. Sorry if they're not popular.

Monty Python, whose effects were absolute rubbish

To this day, decades later, the Aliens - Spaceship - Brian encounter in Life of Brian remains one of the most wonderful scenes i've ever experienced.

@steffie "You lucky bastard!"

State of the art '50s effects in a '79 movie - and of course that was absolutely part of the charm. But keep in mind, that's a movie (not TV) and part of one of the most fabulous franchises of all time. So in that case, you know they had the cash; and chose to parody themselves. Sort of like the coconut hoofbeats and imaginary horses in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Priceless, precisely because they are transparent and low-rent. A joke laughing at itself.

But enough of Python. You were waxing poetic about Whovian things...

You were waxing poetic about Whovian things...

I was, i was, but you played dirty. How could i possibubbly resist the temptation to also go on about MP, given half a chance. Next you'll tangentialise me with a prurient HHGTTG reference!

It might have slipped my mind before, so i should mention now... yay Jodie!!!

Re Companions, i know the season is young, & i might [hopefully will] yet be pleasantly surprised, but IMO Chibnall missed a trick by killing off Grandma in Ep1. She was sensational, & would have been a stellar C.

@steffie Agreed. Nan should have survived. She sparkled. But that bicycle-falling scene went on too long. It should have ended with a successful go.

• I really liked it. It seemed less over the top alien nonsense and more like a normal BBC drama but with some added sci fi stuff. That's a decent change from what we had previously, and change is good. It keeps things fresh.

As for Jodie and the new actors, I'll reserve my opinion until I see a few more episodes, but I'm liking them so far. I honestly don't see them choosing bad actors, what can really let them down though is the writing.

I did find one particular review which I thought was hilarious, so I'll share it: http://newsthump.com/2018/10/09/new-doctor-who-slammed-as-unrealistic-after-showing-working-train-between-sheffield-and-manchester/

• Love it!

• Vivaldi Ambassador

I managed to catch the Sunday afternoon premiere, with much trepidation, but actually enjoyed it!
    You can tell they've got new writers... Will have to see more episodes to really see if I like it but so far a Thumbs Up!
    Have been following The Doctor on and off for ages as the series is not always carried here (Now on a premium specialty channel.)

• Vivaldi Ambassador

So I will chime in with my thoughts now.... (others are of course welcome to keep adding their two pence)

Originally, I was not happy with the decision to have a female Doctor. I'm by no means anti-women, but like so many others, I felt that the Doctor is a male role. But I did see the writing on the wall when The Master turned into a woman, and one of the Time Lords did the same later on. So what can ya do?

I have an open mind, though, and watched the new series opener accordingly.

To my surprise I was impressed and taken right from the start. There wasn't one second that I thought "but he's a she!" Jodie played the part so Doctor-like, that I didn't see gender at all.
    That being said, Jodie is an excellent actress, so it's no surprise that she gave the role a good start.

Being her first time out, and first time for the new writers, I didn't watch with a very critical eye. I simply basked in the fact that we finally had some new Who! It's been an extra long break between series.
    I saw a few weak parts in the script, and a couple moments where a couple of the actors didn't shine well, but for the most part it was an entertaining hour in good ol' Who fashion. The next few episodes will speak more about the quality of the show and where it's heading.

And one more thing...

OMG they killed Grandma! Those bastards!!

• @joelyoung said in Doctor Who fans, what say you about the new one?:

I saw a few weak parts in the script

Not just a new Doctor (and cast), but also new writers!!
    That's a lot of changes to get used to!?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.