Select language in blog

• I am new to Vivaldi and was very exited when I found perfect language selections for Mail. I was able to change the UI Language to Norwegian Nynorsk. Often I find only Norwegian Bokmål supported. This was a huge plus for me :silly: Is there a way to select language for the blog as well? If I start a blog at Vivaldi, I would like my readers to see a Norwegian language for the blog-UI. (sorry if this was asked and answered)

• This seems not to be possible at the moment.

Furthermore, if you set the language of your blog post to something different than the visitor uses, it might be that (sh)he doesn't see the post at all. I don't know if that is system inherent or a bug in the software, but for the time being I would avoid setting the language of a blog post at all.

btw: I would prefer if the UI of the page would not switch to the language the blog owner sets but stick to the one I have chosen for myself - makes navigation easier for me ;)

• Vivaldi Team

@QuHno:

btw: I would prefer if the UI of the page would not switch to the language the blog owner sets but stick to the one I have chosen for myself - makes navigation easier for me ;)

I agree with you. I find that confusing and a bit annoying! B)

• I have been setting the language to All, assuming it permitted individual viewers to use the language they prefer. Have I misunderstood and inadvertently screened out some viewers?

• If my suggestion should have any point, the blog should be viewed through a separate adress like
    [ul]

Blogger.com has this per blog:

[attachment=99]blogger_language.png[/attachment]

The main reason for wanting this, is that in my language we have different ways of telling time and date. When I post language specific topics, it is quite embarrassing to have wrong date format, etc.
    Attachments:

• @hamilton.jerry:

Have I misunderstood and inadvertently screened out some viewers?

No.

That is default and was what I meant by "avoid setting (it) at all"

• Thanks, QuHno.

• What I find annoying on most websites (and actually in most software of any kind) is the assumption that you only want to write in one language. We have standards for markup telling which language each part of the text is in, but nobody has a user interface for it.

On Vivaldi, the biggest annoyance is that the "front page" has only the options of showing friends only or everything. It could have been OK if "everything" was filtered by the languages I can actually read, but usually most is in languages I never learned.

Getting this right should not be a big problem - any standard-compliant browser will send an```
    Accept-Language

• Here is what I hear you saying, bv: Vivaldi.net could become truly unique among its peers if it would improve the user interface to set the header you mentioned.

Not that I really understand much of this stuff, but if your idea is so easy, why aren't the smart people behind Vivaldi.net already doing this? My impression is that Vivaldi.net appeals to a worldwide audience where at least about 315 languages are used daily. So a program that solves the language barrier, at least at a rudimentary level (acknowledging Christian's comments about the genius behind rich, high quality translation), would be not only a useful service but potentially a game changer.

hamilton.jerry

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.