First Impressions, and Bookmark Problem

• I've only been using Vivaldi for a few days, but am mostly really enjoying. Especially like: (1) progress bar that shows a page loading, (2) the old Opera notes feature -- voilá -- reborn here, (3) tab stacking, (4) color changes in the browser, (5) ability to create folders in speed dial, even if it's harder to do than with Opera (cannot drag a link/thumbnail of page on top of another to do it) (and the folders don't have adequate art backgrounds, (6) the trash basket (though the ability to easily empty trash needs to be added, and (7) the use right now chrome extensions -- I'm already enjoying with Vivaldi: Adblock, Clearly (for easy reading of web pages), Gmelius, Right Click Opens link in new tab. :P I'm generally quite impressed with this browser. My biggest complaint is with creating folders in bookmarks. I have a number of folders of equal position to the left in my bookmarks panel. eg.,: Speed Dial, News, Games, Vivaldi, Shopping, Sports, Weather etc. When I click on the icon for creating a new folder, the newly created folder comes up inside one of the existing ones. But I didn't want a folder within a folder'. That's easy enough to do. I want a new folder of equal position to the left in my bookmarks panel as the existing ones, but independent of them -- not a folder within one of the existing ones. Now I try to drag this folder I just created (which is inside one of the existing ones, outside, to stand on it's own, and to be a new folder, independent of the other ones). But it's not easy. It's a nuisance. Does anyone know an easy way to create that new folder (that's not a folder within a folder)? I would be less concerned about the native bookmarking ability in Vivaldi, if I could use a Chrome bookmarks manager extension (that I like), but one needs there the icon on an icon bar, and that's not currently possible.

• @LemB:

I've only been using Vivaldi for a few days, but am mostly really enjoying. Especially like: (1) progress bar that shows a page loading, (2) the old Opera notes feature – voilá -- reborn here, (3) tab stacking, (4) color changes in the browser, (5) ability to create folders in speed dial, even if it's harder to do than with Opera (cannot drag a link/thumbnail of page on top of another to do it) (and the folders don't have adequate art backgrounds, (6) the trash basket (though the ability to easily empty trash needs to be added, and (7) the use right now chrome extensions -- I'm already enjoying with Vivaldi: Adblock, Clearly (for easy reading of web pages), Gmelius, Right Click Opens link in new tab. :P I'm generally quite impressed with this browser.

My biggest complaint is with creating folders in bookmarks. I have a number of folders of equal position to the left in my bookmarks panel. eg.,: Speed Dial, News, Games, Vivaldi, Shopping, Sports, Weather etc. When I click on the icon for creating a new folder, the newly created folder comes up inside one of the existing ones. But I didn't want a folder within a folder'. That's easy enough to do. I want a new folder of equal position to the left in my bookmarks panel as the existing ones, but independent of them -- not a folder within one of the existing ones.

Now I try to drag this folder I just created (which is inside one of the existing ones, outside, to stand on it's own, and to be a new folder, independent of the other ones). But it's not easy. It's a nuisance. Does anyone know an easy way to create that new folder (that's not a folder within a folder)?

I would be less concerned about the native bookmarking ability in Vivaldi, if I could use a Chrome bookmarks manager extension (that I like), but one needs there the icon on an icon bar, and that's not currently possible.

Unfortunately, bookmarks management is anything but mature, and is kind of a dog's breakfast at this point. You can figure out how to get everything done, but hardly any of it is smooth and easy. We anticipate many improvements and enhancements of bookmark management in the future, but the partially functional mess we have right now is what it is. Watch this space.

• I'm sorry for bumping this topic, but I've just switched from Opera 29 to Vivaldi for Windows, and the bookmark management seems to be buggy still. I just couldn't import my bookmarks from Opera automatically, nor from Chrome. When I tried to do that, it seemed to never end, kinda like for this guy. Besides, it seemed to expect that my bookmarks from Opera would be in some kind of .adr file, when the Opera bookmarks are actually stored in the Bookmarks json file, just like Vivaldi's. I tried simply replacing the file, as the formats are very similar, but it seems that Vivaldi just drops the entries under "root" when they don't match the expected values, so I ended up copying by hand the JSON data form one Bookmarks file into another. I don't want to do this by hand ever again, so please fix that importing. Do it for me :cheer:

• I had also problems to import bookmarks from Opera. Import from Chrome worked better. In both cases Vivaldi crashed after quite a while, task was still running all the time. I had to import about 10'000 bookmarks in about 700 folders.
    My wishes for the future would be the posibility to sort the bookmarks in different ways.
    Anyway Vivaldi works good and fast and I like it :-)

• @Phillux:

I had to import about 10'000 bookmarks in about 700 folders.

Wow, that are some numbers! I have quite a few bookmarks myself, but nowhere near this amount ;)

• I have not been able to find out how to import bookmarks from Chrome.
    Would you be so kind as to enlighten a noob.:-)
    Thanks.

• @Eckblad:

I have not been able to find out how to import bookmarks from Chrome.
    Would you be so kind as to enlighten a noob.:-)
    Thanks.

You can simply copy the bookmark file from chrome's profile to Vivaldi's one

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.