Snapshot 1.0.167.2\. Better keyboard-shortcut editing and user statistics.

• Vivaldi Team

Hi, Last week was busy with TP3 launch. We are happy to see we have gotten one step closer to Beta :) We are starting a new week with another snapshot. This week, we have polished keyboard shortcut settings. It’s now easier to change shortcuts and you can have more than one shortcuts per action. To be able to serve you, our users and friends, in the best possible way, we need to know a little about you. We need to know how many you are, what HW/OS you have and where in the world and which language you use. This helps us make the right priorities on our resources. Starting with this build, Vivaldi will connect with our servers for this purpose only once per day. We do not collect any usage data. This is only for us to have a general feel about our overall user base. So, on first run Vivaldi generates a unique ID for your installation. Then, every 24 hours, your browser, if running, will send via https, the following info: The unique user ID Browser user agent CPU architecture Screen Resolution Accept Language https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/teamblog/item/28-snapshot-1-0-167-2-better-keyboard-shortcut-editing-and-user-statistics //Christian - Vivaldi Technologies.

Christian - what's the deal with that 167.2 numbering? Isn't the latest snapshot 162.9?

Oops. Never mind. Two updates in one day.

• Vivaldi Translator

1. Problem with "hanging tabs" in Win x64 build still exists

Sometimes random tab stops responding and content processing hangs
    Scrollbars doesn't work / I'm unable to click anything / entering new URL and pressing "Enter" does nothing…

In last builds it's enough to just click backward / forward buttons to "unhang" tab

Example of website in which it has happened to me:
    trnsifex main site

1. Random problem with closing search bar in Win x64 build still exists
      Sometimes I'm unable to close search bar by clicking "X" button

PS. It would be very nice if "Clone tab" function could clone tab session too… :)

• I installed this one today on my main desktop.

Unfortunately, I need to report two problems. The first one is significant, the second one is more like an annoyance.

Trying to close a tab almost always results in Vivaldi freezing, and I have to shut down through the taskbar or Task Manager. (Windows 8.1, 8 gig RAM.) Don't know if this is the same "hanging tabs" problem that ROTFL described. I have the 32-bit build,, though this is a 64-bit PC and OS. I have not had this problem with any builds before this one. (I started with TP2.) It happened a couple of times tonight on Reddit, which doesn't use any Flash or other visual effects.

Also, a search box pops down at random intervals out of the address bar and covers the top of the page I'm viewing. To get rid of it, I have to click in the URL and then hit the Escape key. (EN-US keyboard.)

Overall, Vivaldi was good with TP2 and has improved a lot since then. I made it my default browser. But this release has a few "steps sideways".

I hope this helps.

• @eggdog:

Also, a search box pops down at random intervals out of the address bar and covers the top of the page I'm viewing. To get rid of it, I have to click in the URL and then hit the Escape key. (EN-US keyboard.)

I'll second this bug. It is occurring in Windows 7 64 bit with the 64 bit version of Vivaldi. I have not seen it occur yet on my MacBook Pro. Both are running the latest snapshot, 1.0.167.2.

• Could you provide a screenshot please?

• Apropos of screenshots..

Has anyone experienced this ?

I'm on win 10 x64 (build 10074) right now.

I see this behavior on PM's replies field of Vivaldi.net, not on forum or blog, and happens just using Vivaldi.

It remembers me the good old times when I was used to use Firefox only when I had to post something on Opera blogs :lol:

• what is the "accept language" item you're collecting, exactly?

• Here's an example of the "phantom search box". That section which says

Search
    …..undefined

and extends down from the address bar is one of the things I was talking about yesterday.

I hope this helps.
    Attachments:

• Here's another one. I opened a link from Reddit in a new tab. I note again that the link's address bar says "undefined", and there's that extra drop-down search field again.

The tab for the Guardian (with "undefined" in the address bar) froze when I tried to close it, and I had to shut down Vivaldi from the Windows taskbar icon.
    Attachments:

Nothing even remotely similar to the things you are experiencing ever happens here on any of my systems (Windows or Linux). Are you using any extensions?

• Thanks for asking. No, I haven't installed any extensions.

• This browser is getting better and better, one of these days I am making a definitive switch!
    Here are a few problems I found, I am on Windows 7 64bits with Snapshot 1.0.167.2

[ol]

• Editing or adding a new bookmark from the sidebar while visiting any of the built in system pages like vivaldi://about or vivaldi://chrome/extensions or vivaldi://settingspage/all/ makes the whole UI offset up, expanding the status bar beyond recognition, and completely hiding the tab bar and the address bar. Opening the quick menu reverts it back to original position, check images bellow:

[attachment=1214]Vivaldi_UIOffset00.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1212]Vivaldi_UIOffset01.png[/attachment]

• Visiting vivaldi://settingspage/all/ from the address bar, the settings page doesn't show a scroll bar or allow scrolling.

• Can't add Ctrl+Alt+P as a shortcut for "Settings", either Ctrl+Alt only is added, or it is added before actually adding Ctrl+Alt+P. Some other key combinations won't register, other take into account 'key repetition' and are added multiple times if one is presses keys continuously
      [/ol]
      Attachments:

• @voodoo123:

@eggdog:

I'll second this bug. It is occurring in Windows 7 64 bit with the 64 bit version of Vivaldi. I have not seen it occur yet on my MacBook Pro. Both are running the latest snapshot, 1.0.167.2.

And I will third this bug.

About details:

!

Vivaldi	1.0.167.2 (Developer Build) 
    Revision	3ae0f271f8c25ea3d2ff8ef0879b24f1ec8a9130
    OS	Windows 
    Blink	537.36 (@c4fc1926ad569ca9bd622e77402c6afb91ac4ce4)
    JavaScript	V8 4.1.0.21
    Flash	17,0,0,169
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.105 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.0.167.2
    Command Line	"E:\mpc\apps\vivaldibrowser\Application\vivaldi.exe" --always-authorize-plugins --flag-switches-begin --disable-text-input-focus-manager --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path	E:\mpc\apps\vivaldibrowser\Application\vivaldi.exe
    Profile Path	E:\mpc\apps\vivaldibrowser\User Data\Default
    Variations	ed1d377-e1cc0f14
    >! ```

• Thanks for what you've done. Today I'll make a definite switch. Goodbye Chrome, IE, Opera 12. That said, regarding the collection of data: I have no issues with that, but if it ever gets revealed that any other data is collected I'll switch to another browser again.

Thanks and cheers!

• @eggdog:

Also, a search box pops down at random intervals out of the address bar and covers the top of the page I'm viewing. To get rid of it, I have to click in the URL and then hit the Escape key.

Same here. Win7-64, German keyboard

• I'm also having the random search box drop down as well.

The keyboard shortcuts seem to be misbehaving again, number keys change tabs and z/x are going forward and back while typing in a message box when quoting a post on a Vbulletin or Xenforo forum.

John

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.