Better Touchpad/Touchscreen Zoom Functionality

• A feature I miss from using Chrome is the ability to zoom quickly on the webpage at something that was hard to see and then after finished the zoom would pop back to the default level.

Alongside this, the zoom was seamless, and was not done in steps.

This was especially useful with touchpads and is the sort of convenience that makes the browser so much more enjoyable to use.

In Vivaldi when I zoom in I find afterwards I have to manually zoom out again but find it difficult to identify the default zoom level, and therefore have to check the menu to make sure.

What takes a couple seconds on Chrome takes at least ten on Vivaldi.

This seems like a feature when using a touchscreen, because here both browsers have the same zoom behaviour.

• @isaiahholman It is easy to reset the default zoom by using the button in the status bar. The zoom step is fixed at 10%.

It would be good to have Smaller Zoom Steps and commands for Zoom to Specific Zoom Level as in Opera 12.18.

Stardust also seems to have a problem with zooming and made the request to Improve Dynamic Zoom Performance.

Your feature request seems to be a duplicate of the one already made by Stardust.

• Vivaldi Translator

@isaiahholman said in Quick Zooming:

In Vivaldi when I zoom in I find afterwards I have to manually zoom out again but find it difficult to identify the default zoom level, and therefore have to check the menu to make sure.

Ctrl+0 - et voilà

• @An_dz this feature would be particularly useful with a touchscreen, but touchpad users like myself would also find use out of it. The zoom behaviors for both browser a pretty similar (ignoring Vivaldi's large zoom steps), but when using a touchpad the steps are seamless, and it does not allow the user to zoom out beyond the default zoom level.

@Pesala I apologize for the seemingly duplicate post. Our requests do touch on very similar issues. I am unable to use the reset button in the status bar as I have my status bar set as 'information overlay'. I guess it would be good to have an alternative for user like me.
    In response to what @pauloaguia suggested. The shortcut Ctrl+0 does not work in my case, as I am using the 'pinch' gestures on my touchpad to zoom and that seems to adjust the default zoom level as well. I have just discovered the Ctrl+Scroll combination as a work around though.

In fact, upon writing this reply I have discovered that Chrome has two zoom functionalities. One is the Ctrl+Scroll combination which provides a stepped zoom that allows the user to zoom from 25% to 500%. The other one is the one I was originally referring to - a step-less touchpad zoom that seemed to be useful for brief zooming, and did not allow the user to zoom out past the default zoom level, which made it easy to get back to that default level when finished zooming.

So I guess my feature request could be restated as 'Better Touchpad/Touchscreen Zoom Functionality'.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. 😛

P.S. Just to stress my issue a bit more, upon writing this (and playing with the zoom functionality) I am stuck at a zoom level (110%) that does not fit the whole page. I will have to go into the settings to bring it back to 100% or play with the touchpad until I get it right, as the Zoom Reset function believes this to be the correct zoom level.

0_1537785405388_Capture.PNG

Thanks!

• @isaiahholman said in Quick Zooming:

I guess it would be good to have an alternative for user like me.

There already is. Define a shortcut for Zoom Reset.

0_1537785646662_Zoom Reset.png

• @Pesala the point I make later in my reply is that the zoom reset does not work when I have used the touchpad to zoom.

I have the shortcut defined; I just assume that when zooming with the touchpad it adjusts the default zoom level that the 'zoom reset' goes to.

0_1537824483674_Capturezoom.PNG

As I travel a bit, it is not practical to bring a mouse with me, so I tend to use the trackpad a lot. It might seem like a nit pick, but these convenient little features add a lot to the general user experience of a browser - and I thought I would point out this odd behavior with the touchpad zoom.

• Vivaldi Translator

@isaiahholman said in Better Touchpad/Touchscreen Zoom Functionality:

@Pesala the point I make later in my reply is that the zoom reset does not work when I have used the touchpad to zoom.

I have the shortcut defined; I just assume that when zooming with the touchpad it adjusts the default zoom level that the 'zoom reset' goes to.

Whenever I zoom using the touchpad, Ctrl+0 still resets the zoom to its original level...
    Could it be that you have some extension which might be interfering with zoom?

• Vivaldi Translator

Or even that you have Ctrl+0 associated with some other function as well (not sure if that's even possible)

This zoom is different and I suspect it has something that requires driver support. Because my touchpad can't do that in any browser.

• I really like this feature request. Using newer/nicer touchpads, it's important to keep some expected behaviors. Both Chrome and Edge have a smooth zooming that hones in on where the mouse is as if you just got really close to the computer screen. Some touchpads don't do that, but newer ones do and I REALLY miss that feature.

• @IsaiahHolman Pinch zooming in Vivaldi is so clunky, I consider it broken. In Chrome and Edge it's butter smooth and follows your fingers precisely as they glide over the touch pad. This is super nice to have when using a laptop. I hope Vivaldi can improve this. Maybe as the "power user" browser, they are more focused on the full workstation setup, with mouse and 27-inch monitor, but to be more ultrabook friendly, the gesture support needs to get better.

• @IsaiahHolman On my Surface Book Win 10 touch screen, Vivaldi tab content zooms up smoothly via pinch out, and pinch in returns to 100%. Not sure which part of the system handles that - it works in most apps, but some zoom in obvious steps instead of smoothly.

I do want to stress that what works on a touch_pad_ must be kept separate from strategies for a touch_screen_! With (single point) touch or pen on the screen the goal is to be as close as reasonable to mouse/pointer action. Abstract touch "gestures" must be distinguished by requiring multiple fingers or some other obvious modifier.

• As someone with impaired vision I find it very helpful to be able to smoothly zoom in on a part of the page (for example, the box I'm typing this in right now) such that I can read it much more clearly without craning my head over the keyboard. I actually much prefer using a touchpad to a mouse for this reason.

The current implementation - i.e. your bulk-standard zoom - bumps up the font size, sure, but it's clunky and not the temporary "move face closer to page" simulation that I need.

Vivaldi not having this feature is a deal breaker for me. For now I'll be using Opera, but I'm loving the rest of Vivaldi. It's mad that the lack of touchpad support makes this an accessibility nightmare.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.