Vivaldi keeps freezing

• I have been experiencing this for some time now. Vivaldi (currently v1.0.162.9) keeps freezing up when I visit a content-heavy website, such as Mediaite (http://www.mediaite.com/). I am not savvy in these matters, but I suspect it has to do with all the embedded flash. Sometimes, the page will become responsive again after 15-20 secs. Most of the time, however, I have to restart the browser. I don't see this kind of behavior on FF or Chrome. Is there a solution? I'm on Win 7 64-bit.

I think it's not just content-heavy per se, but more likely ad-heavy and flash-heavy.

There are several of these awful sites that want you to click through a "slide show" while they display ad after ad, all of which they are getting money for, but I have yet to find a browser that can earn them their advertising money smoothly and quickly. Even with an 8MB connection and a pretty muscular computer, these sites always bog me down and frustrate me, usually resulting in my closing the tab after a few efforts to progress to the next slide. ATM, the worst browser for handling these is Vivaldi - BUT perhaps that is a blessing in disguise, because none of us, if we had any sense at all, would ever fall for these damnable time-wasting, misrepresented, least-common-denominator websites. They are evil.

So for the time being, I commend Vivaldi for saving me from my own without-merit impulses. If all browsers were like Vivaldi, these time-sucking, money-sucking websites would be forced to reform.

• Thank you for responding. Is there a Disable Flash plugin, as they do for FF? I use that extensiveness on FF and it does make a big difference.

Yes, you can do it through the flags, but I don't recall how. Hopefully one of the more tech-nerd types will respond here and bring you up to speed.

• I installed AdBlock following the instructions from this thread:

https://vivaldi.net/forum/vivaldi-browser/964-adblock-in-vivaldi

It all but eliminated the freezing problem.

vivaldi://chrome/settings/content

Here you can set plugins as Click to Play or block all of them.

That's true. I have mine set to "click to play." It can be a bit of a PIA sometimes, but it's preferable to crap playing randomly every damn time you open a new tab or go to a new page. There should be a law against auto-starting media plugin content with zero user input.

• Going to the OP - jhkumar - Is the freeze happening on every site or is it just one? I thought that the program Vivaldi was freezing and I was exiting and reloading. Then one day I checked on the freeze was on just one site - the other sites on different tabs were working fine. Next time you experience a freeze, check some other open tabs and see if they are functioning.

Since then I copy the url for the locked site into a new blank tab and the site visit works correctly. Then I close the offending tab and continue using Vivaldi with no problems.

I am currently using Vivaldi 1.0.167.2, but this has been happening for the past three or four snapshots.

I have Vivaldi on a Win 7 x32 home built machine with 16 gb of ram and an ATI video card with 2gb of ram.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.