Facebook Likes

• I keep watching the Facebook likes on the Blog pages and am happy to see the number growing nicely. As V matures I hope momentum of new users grows. At some point V will plateau and growth will remain stable or flat but before then I hope we see the trickle of new users turn into a flood. Personally I stumbled upon V. I think many of us did. Once V gets better and more stable it will get more press and hopefully that exposure will generate the new users needed to make it a commercially viable venture.

• I don't use Facebook, and haven't paid any attention to the Likes on the blog pages (in fact I'll probably try to write some content blocking or uBlock filters to block them as soon as I can get around to it). But that could provide another way to get a rough idea of the interest in Vivaldi. If you're interested enough, maybe you could start occasionally recording the numbers to help monitor the trends.

I have been vaguely disconcerted that it has seemed (purely subjective) like new visitors/posters in the forum have decreased over the past couple weeks. There seemed to be a lot of energy and new user activity beginning around the time of the TP2 (v1.0.118.19) release Mar 4, 2015, that I thought was probably fueled by several Vivaldi reviews and mentions in various online media outlets.

Maybe it was also subjectively fueled for me by the rapid weekly or twice-weekly Developer Snapshots, as the energy seemed to decrease, with less forum activity, during the last week or two before TP3 (v1.0.162.4) release Apr 27, 2015. The pace seems to have picked up slightly since then, but not as much as I anticipated. I wonder if more media attention will be forthcoming, and maybe needed to help fuel the growth.

As a way of trying to get some actual numbers, I started occasionally checking the number of registered Vivaldi Community users a while back. New user number 41898 posted Mar 29 2015 in the New to Vivaldi Introduce yourself! thread, so that number may (?) reflect how many users had registered at that point.

A couple of days later I discovered the All Users and Registered Users pages and posted that there were currently 41,817 registered users on Mar 31 2015. I presume the difference between the number of registered users on Mar 31 (41,817) and user number 41,898 on Mar 29 may reflect 81 registrations that had been deleted along the way since registrations began.

Today, May 2, 2015, as I am posting this, there are currently 47,293 Registered Users, a net gain of 5,476 registered users over the past 33 days, for an average net increase of 166 users per day (roughly equal to the 160 per day I estimated based on 40 new registrations over a 6-hour stretch on Mar 31, 2015). Based on that, perhaps the average number of new registrations has held approximately the same or perhaps increased slightly. (I didn't bother reducing those figures to an average percentage increase per day, but as the total number increases the new registrations per day would have to gradually increase for the percentage growth to stay the same.)

So perhaps my impression of less energy/interest in the forums is inaccurate (?), or maybe the feature improvements and debugging with each Developer snapshot are resulting in a decrease in the number of posts (?) (I haven't tried to figure out a way to get a count, but could probably be done pretty easily given the post numbering system). But even if the posts have decreased slightly, I'm glad to see that the registered user base appears to be growing steadily at approximately the same rate, rather than starting to level out. :)

Speaking for myself, my interest is just as keen, but the declining number of major changes per release has made less for me to comment on. Further, it would appear there are probably ten to twenty users per registered member of the community, when you stop to think that half a million copies were downloaded within about the first week.

Registered community member numbers continue to seem to grow by a thousand every week or ten days, so I think user growth is still on a good trend.

• @Ayespy:

Speaking for myself, my interest is just as keen, but the declining number of major changes per release has made less for me to comment on.

Good point: user questions down maybe a bit, so "helper" replies maybe down a bit, too.

Further, it would appear there are probably ten to twenty users per registered member of the community, when you stop to think that half a million copies were downloaded within about the first week.

Yeah, I don' know. To me it seems purely speculative to guess at how the number of downloads translates into users. For example, I usually download both the 32- bit and 64-bit Windows installers for each Vivaldi version, usually to each of my 2 machines "in case" one of them crashes and/or I get around to installing on both machines. But I've actually only installed one version (v1.0.142.32) on the second machine (in both 32-bit and 64-bit), and use those 2 installations only for occasional testing purposes. So I'm probably averaging 3.5-4 downloads per Vivaldi version, but really only using one of them. You're probably somewhat in the same boat with both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows (IIRC), plus Linux. How many other enthusiasts download multiple versions? How many newcomers download, try briefly, and move on (so shouldn't be counted)? Etc., etc.

Registered community member numbers continue to seem to grow by a thousand every week or ten days, so I think user growth is still on a good trend.

Yes, to me this seems to be the best available "metric" until Vivaldi gets big enough to begin to emerge from the "Other" category in some browser usage statistics (and last I checked it wasn't even yet included in the "Other" category for the one major survey I checked).

• @gdveggie:

fAs a way of trying to get some actual numbers, I started occasionally checking the number of registered Vivaldi Community users a while back.

Yes, we are doing the same. I started a thread a while back trying to use the community members number to determine V users. Somewhere I remember hearing that for every one letter written to a politician there are 9 other people who share similar sentiments. Finding out that number for community members/V users would be helpful. Facebook is just another window into seeing how popular V is becoming.

In the very short history of V new big features seem to have slowed a lot. I'm not sure why that is. If the devs were capable of that frantic pace before, why no longer? I suspect bigger things are brewing and energy is being expended on them. I admit to getting very spoiled early on. :blush:

• Don't forget that the development didn't start the day we got TP1 - the early rush of new features was just the release of stuff they'd actually been working on for weeks or months before…

I kind of looked at it as being that the easy stuff (regardless whether it was "easy" because it had already been worked on or because it was "easy" because it took fewer lines of code) showed up in a rush, and the stuff that is taking longer, is harder. I don't imagine for a moment that less work is being done per day.

• Something else should be taken in account.

A lot of forum activity means not just a lot of interest, means a lot of bug and things that needs improvement as well.

So is natural to see less forum messages when the main bugs are ironed out.

Now, Vivaldi is still in infancy and a lot of things are not yet implemented, but the most annoying bugs are gone.

Personally I'm waiting for paste &go and go button, for a customizable speeddial grid, for middle button working properly in SD, and (obviously) for the mail client, but the only thing that I can call "a bug" is the shortcut bug on quick-reply fields.

So, I'm sure that most of users are silently waiting for improvements, rather than asking endlessly for a bug fix like happened on the first days.

@The_Solutor:

Something else should be taken in account.

A lot of forum activity means not just a lot of interest, means a lot of bug and things that needs improvement as well.

So is natural to see less forum messages when the main bugs are ironed out.

Now, Vivaldi is still in infancy and a lot of things are not yet implemented, but the most annoying bugs are gone.

Personally I'm waiting for paste &go and go button, for a customizable speeddial grid, for middle button working properly in SD, and (obviously) for the mail client, but the only thing that I can call "a bug" is the shortcut bug on quick-reply fields.

So, I'm sure that most of users are silently waiting for improvements, rather than asking endlessly for a bug fix like happened on the first days.

All good points. I'm still breathlessly waiting for email and for full UI customizing, but it seems bad form to agitate for these continuously - so I wait (semi-)patiently. I want paste&go too, but I'm sure it's coming. When the browser and email are solid, with MAPI capability built-in, I will be telling EVERYONE about Vivaldi and twisting arms to get people to try it. But since I don't want any of my techno-clueless friends to have a bad experience, I wait patiently.

Even my wife, who in many ways "introduced" me to personal computing over 20 years ago, and who was a MS-DOS-typing fiend, has no patience any more for anything that doesn't "just work" and relies on me to "fix" her various SNAFUs with her desktop and her laptop. If someone who was a tech maven back in the day no longer can tolerate small glitches, I dare not expose a less-than-polished product to people who don't even understand terms like "browser," "client," "UI," and "bookmark."

All noobs know now is "the internet" and "favorites." God help us.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.