SeaMonkey Web Browser 2.24

• [attachment=86]seamonkeyy.png[/attachment] The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite. Such a software suite was previously made popular by Netscape and Mozilla, and the SeaMonkey project continues to develop and deliver high-quality updates to this concept. Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users. [b][size=6][url=http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]Seamonkey[/url][/size][/b] Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/2827/seamonkeyy.png[/img]

• @booBot:

Is it on Gecko?

Yes.

About Seamonkey

• Downside is that Seamonkey does not support all the add-ons that Firefox does. This may, or may not, be a problem to you.

• The problem for me is - the GUI looks like something right out of the mid-90's. This browser suite is hopelessly old-looking and clunky. I guess if you're content to be browsing with a Netscape wannabe suite, it's okay. I prefer something a little more forward-looking. We're all different, eh?! :-)

• Admittedly it doesn't look that good (you can change that with a theme), but it runs quite well. Mind you, even though I have it installed, admittedly I hardly use it. :whistle:

• I can see its usefulness to those who need an integrated email client. In that regard it operates somewhat like Opera Presto. I know the tool bars can be toggled off and on but still… the look of the thing is pretty bad.

• @JamesD:

I can see its usefulness to those who need an integrated email client. In that regard it operates somewhat like Opera Presto. I know the tool bars can be toggled off and on but still… the look of the thing is pretty bad.

I agree, the default look (and the other one supplied) is a bit bad. But, you can choose a third-party theme to change that look.

• It has become my second browser (to O12) on my only Windows box. I have been able to modify a workflow so it can actually be a replacement for O12 when need be.
    It is not pretty but it works and I am actually beginning to enjoy using it.

• Not so ugly after all, mine looks quite modern with the default theme, a (formerly named) Personas and an add-on. Ported from XP to Linux Mint Xfce.

My second browser that will replace Opera if my fears are confirmed.
    Attachments:

• Not too bad, although there's a lot of real estate at the top of that page. But if it's working for you, that's all that matters.

• @JamesD:

The problem for me is - the GUI looks like something right out of the mid-90's.

That's actually a good thing: it still has a real menu bar and not that fake thing, that Opera 12 now has. Developers modernizing the browser engine while keeping the GUI unchanged is exactly what the SeaMonkey community wants.

So while SeaMonkey looks like it is from the 90s, it's a modern state of art browser with a current Gecko engine, while Opera 12 tries to look like Chrome, but Presto sadly is years behind.

My main issue with SeaMonkey is that it's way slower than Opera Presto on my low-end PCs…

• @JamesD:

The problem for me is - the GUI looks like something right out of the mid-90's.

Default SeaMonkey interface is ugly, but you can customise it. https://vivaldi.net/media/com_easysocial/photos/1310/25305/6628d20b9b3fb18d68c2596788aefe9c_original.png

• I agree the browser does look bit outdated but for the record it runs perfectly fine. :)

• Firefox (originally Phoenix, meanwhile Firebird) was created as the lightweight version of Mozilla Internet Suite. Internet Suite contains the Browser, HTML Editor, Emailer-Newsreader, and more, while Firefox was just the browser.

Seamonkey suite is a straightforward continuation of Mozilla Internet Suite. These days it's the lightweight version of the current Firefox. It's been this way for quite a while already.

• Can you give me a link on how SeaMonkey themes work? If it’s possible to customize it to look like Prestopera, this could be a real replacement. I want to finally stop using Opera 11.64 as the standard webbrowser and Chrome for everything that’s incompatible with 11.64 (twitch.tv chat, Youtube smooth video playing, some forums that have bugged layouts in Opera). So far, SeaMonkey has great compatibility for me,

• @Kadano:

Can you give me a link on how SeaMonkey themes work? If it’s possible to customize it to look like Prestopera, this could be a real replacement. I want to finally stop using Opera 11.64 as the standard webbrowser and Chrome for everything that’s incompatible with 11.64 (twitch.tv chat, Youtube smooth video playing, some forums that have bugged layouts in Opera). So far, SeaMonkey has great compatibility for me,

I can't understand but I found this >>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Creating_a_Skin_for_SeaMonkey_2.x/Getting_Started

• It seems theme support no more but can be customizable…

• themes:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/complete-themes/?sort=created

"containing a Web browser, a mail and newsgroups client, an HTML editor, Web development tools, and an IRC chat client in a single software package."

and all this in under 25 mb. good stuff.

• As a means to get to know this browser a bit more, I've been using this as my main browser for about two weeks (2.24 and now 2.25). I have five extensions installed, replicating the extensions that I have in my Firefox installation (one had to be edited to make it install in Seamonkey).

I have to say that I find it less intensive with memory and a little faster than Firefox. It's also ironic that for a "bloated" suite, its extracted size on Linux is smaller than both Firefox 28 and Firefox 30 (Aurora build that has Australis). Sure, the look, as I said before, is a bit clunky and old fashioned, but I'm more interested in what my browser does and how efficiently it does it than how pretty it is.

So, for the unforeseen future, I think I'll stick with it as my main browser. It has Firefox under its hood, so nothing is lost there.

• ya, my first impression was similar… looks wise. i couldn't find where to shutdown a tab or open another lol (look to the far right of tab bar for a little `X' or far left to open new tab). but that was only because i was unfamiliar with it. now i'm used to it and like it. it runs smooth and is great on resources. not as many addons as firefox, but sometimes more is just overwhelming. which extension did you edit and how (i'd like to get wot on it).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.