Settings files location

• Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I was trying to locate where and in which files vivaldi keeps the saved passwords, settings, bookmarks etc. I have been trying to find them so I can use a sync program to keep them the same across computers. I suspect it is in C:\Users\robertwn\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default but I can't sync the whole folder as it contains the cache etc as well which I fear would slow the sync down to much. Is it better to install vivaldi as standalone to do this sort of thing?

• Your first post, so welcome! :)

If your sync utility can sync selected individual files, the ones you want are in the Default folder you mentioned (e.g., Bookmarks, Preferences, etc.). I haven't used any passwords yet, so I'm not certain, but I think they will be in Login Data; if so, you will also need Login Data-journal to go with it.

I don't know that it would necessarily be easier if installed as standalone, as it will be the same files that need to be sync'd but from a different path: e.g., YourInstallationFolder\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.

It might get a little more complicated, but if you want them you could probably also sync Current Session, Last Session, Current Tabs, and Last Tabs.

• Thanks I will give it a go. The lack of syncing is the only thing holding me back from using the browser as my main. A true replacement for opera has finally arrived :) Maxthon was ok but it wasn't the same. Getting a mobile browser one day would be cool too but since I'm winphone I don't expect that any time soon :)

• @Daemon-Byte:

The lack of syncing is the only thing holding me back from using the browser as my main. A true replacement for opera has finally arrived :) …. Getting a mobile browser one day would be cool too but since I'm winphone I don't expect that any time soon :)

True syncing from within Vivaldi has been much requested and will no doubt be available at some point, but my guess is that's a long way off, after the browser is much more complete. Let us know how your "experiments" turn out. ;)

IMO, Vivaldi is nowhere near being a replacement for Olde Opera (12.x) yet. But it is working pretty well now for casual browsing and the development goals are clearly to become what all of us wanted Opera 12.x to keep becoming. So far, everything is looking very promising. B)

Mobile versions are also in the plans.

• I know syncing is on the coming soon list and I agree it's not quite up to opera 12 yet but it's closer and more promising than any of the other browsers. I understand why opera went to bink over presto but I never understood why they became a skinned chrome with less features. Vivaldi is showing them what they should have done.

And I got the syncing to work. I used mklink to symlink the files into my onedrive and it seems to be happy with that. Will find out properly when I get home and see if my home vivaldi can open the way I left my work one.

• @Daemon-Byte:

I agree it's not quite up to opera 12 yet but it's closer and more promising than any of the other browsers. … Vivaldi is showing them what they should have done.

And I got the syncing to work. I used mklink to symlink the files into my onedrive and it seems to be happy with that. Will find out properly when I get home and see if my home vivaldi can open the way I left my work one.

Yeah, what Vivaldi has undertaken seems much more ambitious, but already well on its way! It will be terrific if they can achieve what they are shooting for.

Glad the sync looks like it will work. ;)

• alas windows has screwed me. I had to put the whole folder in onedrive. It seems that if I use symlinks then the changes don't get saved to the file from vivaldi and if I use hard links then of course the changes don't go to the same place. Nevermind I will have to use this way until it comes out proper

• @Daemon-Byte:

alas windows has screwed me. I had to put the whole folder in onedrive. It seems that if I use symlinks then the changes don't get saved to the file from vivaldi and if I use hard links then of course the changes don't go to the same place. Nevermind I will have to use this way until it comes out proper

I'm not sure this will be of any help, as I haven't experimented with customizing symbolic links, but info in some of these posts by The_Solutor, possibly combined with the stp.viv file relative path mod info in the discussion around this post could be combined to get it working.

(I'm not sure why the changes weren't being saved to the file via the symlink, but if you're saying you put the whole User Data or User Data\Default folder in onedirve, I'm thinking that maybe the relative path might have to be properly set in the stp.viv file. If it isn't your installation may have been re-creating the original folder path and saving the files there instead of on onedrive. ???)

BTW, I was thinking more of a manual or auto-syncing of just the few necessary files from the User Data\Default folder on onne machine to the same folder on another machine while Vivaldi is not running at least on the destination machine (even if it went via onedrive and then was manually or auto-synced later to the destination machine before starting Vivaldi on the destination machine). I don't know if that would work, but thought I'd mention it in case it's a possible different route from the one you've been trying.

Maybe there is something I'm overlooking (or not understanding about what you're trying to do), but it seems like that should work, as it is essentially what I do with each new standalone installation to a new folder on my machine when a new developer snapshot is released: I just copy the needed files from the User Data\Default folder of the previous installation to the User Data\Default folder of the new installation (after exiting the new Vivaldi version first run session) and my next browsing session in the new version opens with my previous tabs, bookmarks, etc. from the previous version.

• You're right that my original plan had been to just sync those specific files. And to avoid issues with location I was symlinking them to avoid problems. But it seems unless I use a hard link the soft links only worked for reading. Vivaldi did open just fine with the settings as they were in onedrive but it couldn't seem to save changes that way. As such I was forced to copy the entire Default folder onto one drive and symlink that. I assumed it was a quick somewhere with windows, onedrive and symlinks. I will experiment a bit more at some point but for now this isn't to bad a solution as long as I wait for onedrive to sync everything down. Hopefully proper syncing will come soon :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.