Vivaldi just quit working on Shopify?

• We are on Linux - would like to know if any other Vivaldi users on different platforms are seeing these issues all of a sudden? When logging into Shopify we see this...

Your browser needs to be updated
    You’re using version 1.96.1147.42 of Vivaldi, which is not supported by Shopify. You can continue using the current version, but some features may not work correctly.

If you are unsure of how to upgrade, we recommend using the Google Chrome browser, since it can update automatically.

Nevermind that they are showing the wrong version of Vivaldi - we are on 1.15.1147.42 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Mod Edit Version number corrected.

And - when we finally do get into Shopify, we can't edit any code - the tab just keeps reloading and we have to close the tab. No way to edit code.

It should be noted - this also happens on Chromium (latest version). When I reviewed it with Shopify support, their answer was: "Shopify, in it's current state, doesn't support Chromium or Vivaldi" and to just use Chrome or Firefox. Hmm...was working fine for years, just quit this week.

And...that response is what I'd expect for an outdated app on an MS code base, not from a web-based app like Shopify.

Anyhoo - anyone else seeing this? Thanks.

• @mdgoll You surely aren't on 1.5 – 1.15 is the latest stable release. Your user agent string is indeed showing 1.96, but that's another story altogether and you can safely ignore it. And yeah, they want you to use Chrome, but you can circumvent this by spoofing the user agent. Do this from the developer tools console or by installing a corresponding extension.

• Vivaldi 1.15.1147.42 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision e6c78ca75e5f4970771b2c6e6727bb07c4a76464-
    OS Linux

• I would suggest

• telling them (shopify) that they should support vivaldi (and honestly, chromium too).
    • If they keep saying it's not possible, ask them to specifically state the components that won't work
    • If they are able to state a component that doesnt work, report it to the vivaldi devs as a bug
    • If they can't state a specific component that doesn't work, they are fools that don't know what they're doing (don't tell them that, of course, that would be rude) - you could try to repeat these steps, but ask to be transferred to someone who knows how the site is programmed

That might sound like a lot of work, and it's more than what anyone should have to do, but this kind of education about improper user agent sniffing has to happen that way we can prevent it occurring more in the future.

• Yeh - definitely an issue with Shopify, tried changing user-agent to everything... nada.

I have a ticket open with Shopify, but zoinks man...nonsense. This just started last week, some wild hair got pushed into a nightly update I think.

• I can confirm the same issue. Not only does Shopify come up with the non-support error, most pages do not finish loading and end up in a continuous cycle of loading. I have to use Chrome to work on Shopify admin.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• So...finally heard back from Shopify and this was the response...note: I had the original ticket escalated, so the response is from the developer team.

Shopify is constantly evolving and our platform is becoming more and more robust. As a result not all browsers can continue to keep up with the demands of our platform/admin.

Those browsers are not supported.

All I can say is that Shopify isn't trying to do this on purpose. If you would like to continue using Vivaldi and Chromium, I would recommend reaching out to them and ask them if there are any bugs that they are aware of. Otherwise, switch to one of the browsers that are able to support Shopify.

Wonder if anyone from the Vivaldi team has any input on this issue - I am at an impasse with Shopify it seems. Again, this is a sudden change that just started in the last week. Thanks!

• If they can't specifically state what it is about chrome that doesn't work in chromium, I too am at a loss for words.

If they support chrome, and they support firefox, then they must by definition (of web standards) support vivaldi.

If they don't I guess you could ping the vivaldi devs via bug report and ask them to mask as chrome for this site. That's a terrible (and untenable in the long run) solution, but I guess for now it'll work.

Considering they could lose customers over this, it seems like silly behaviour.

• @lonm said in Vivaldi just quit working on Shopify?:

Considering they could lose customers over this, it seems like silly behavior.

It's actually the other way around. Vivaldi has lost me (temporarily I hope) as a user since I have to work on Shopify on a daily basis. The switch back to Chrome was made easier due to the fact that the runaway scrollbar bug is still not fixed which makes navigating a site with Vivaldi very frustrating.

• @rhk Fair point. Someone who is already a customer will switch browsers.

But I'd be reluctant to start using a service if it randomly blocked me based on my browser.

• Sucks...had to go back to Chrome, as we manage multiple Shopify sites daily. Much prefer Vivaldi, but expect we'll never hear anything about this issue. Sucks!!

• Vivaldi Team

There really isn't much for us to go on with this reponse from them

All I can say is that Shopify isn't trying to do this on purpose. If you would like to continue using Vivaldi and Chromium, I would recommend reaching out to them and ask them if there are any bugs that they are aware of. Otherwise, switch to one of the browsers that are able to support Shopify.

I have no admin account to test all this on. They do and they have access to Vivaldi and Chromium, which are both free. They would need to tell you or us what exactly is wrong as we can't fix an issue (if there is one) blind.

I find it particularly odd that Chromium would not work. The differences between Chrome/Chromium are bacially nothing other than branding a bundled flash (and I seriously doubt flash is being used).

That said, Chrome stable is currently version 67. When you test this with Chromium, what is the Chromium version? Often Chromium provided by Linux distros is a little old and currently Vivaldi is also running behind.

Perhaps this is simply an issue with older the older Chromium engine. Either a bug or shopify are they are using a feature only found in the newer rending engine. If so this problem would resolve itself next time we upgrade our Chromium backend (which will likely be soon).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.