Reasons for using "Chromopera" (Opera-New) instead of SRware's Iron, Qupzilla or Chrome itself?f?

• Hi All! :) To make things clear: I'm still a diehard user of Opera_old, i.e. 12.16 at the moment and started using Opera as my main but to be honest not sole browser on several operating systems back in '95/'96 with the first ever released public version 2.x. But could anyone please give me any plausible reasons why i should even consider to voluntarily use this cr... (sorry for having to be that rude!) of Opera-New with so many missing functions being used to as a real long-term user of Opera instead of for example the full-fledged Iron of SRWare (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php) based on open source Chromium-code as well, perhaps even Chrome itself or Comodo's Dragon internet browser (http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php) too based on Chromium code? Except for some irrational nostalgia i for one really cannot find any reason using this new [u]not_fully_functioning[/u] Opera. As not that many people seem to know Qupzilla (http://www.qupzilla.com/) i would like to suggest to at least try out this open-source browser. At least on my machines it is much more responsive than all Mozilla products, it is available for nearly any operating system and it is open source software. And finally it offers at least some of the features i've been used to with Opera (12.16). I for one think that this project deserves much more interest and could easily be a better possible successor to Opera-old than the otter browser. Thanks a lot already in advance for sheding some light on this mystery and giving me any feedback! And pls. do have a nice day! :cheer: J. L.

• @JayL:

Hi All! :)

But could anyone please give me any plausible reasons why i should even consider to voluntarily use this

J. L.

Nope! Absolutely no reason at all for using it in it's present state.
    It's abhorrent is probably the best thing I could say about it.

• Speed dial in Chromopera is better IMHO, because it's more like in original Opera. Beside that, I don't really see any other reason to use Chromopera.

• Speed dial in Chromopera is better IMHO, because it's more like in original Opera. Beside that, I don't really see any other reason to use Chromopera.

Did You ever try Qupzilla which i had mentioned at the end of my original post? Especially their SpeedDial resembles that of Opera probably as close as possible.

I'm still not quite as comfortable with it like i am with Opera but at the moment to me it seems to be the most probable successor to my Opera. Especially as it seems to be much sleekier and "speedier" than all Mozilla products on all the platforms i use.

But to be honest it still offers some unpleasant quirks from time to time; but on the other hand every other browser i've ever used or tested so far has crashed from time to time. So that's no special "feature" of Qupzilla! ;-)

• The speed of the rendering engine equals Google's Chrome. Whereas it currently lacks the extensive configurability of Chrome, it is not the product of Google whose cavalier attitude towards privacy turns me off. It will never be what Opera Presto once was but it still remains to be seen what it might become. Really, it's anyone's guess at this point. I'm of a "wait and see" attitude.

• The speed of the rendering engine equals Google's Chrome. Whereas it currently lacks the extensive configurability of Chrome, it is not the product of Google whose cavalier attitude towards privacy turns me

Not really sure if i got You right. But if so i once again would perhaps like to direct Your interest towards Iron of SRWare (https://www.srware.net/software_srware_iron.php), based on the same open source code of Chromium but with a very strong emphasis on privacy and security. And it already is (and not perhaps might be at some time in a very distant future) a full-fledged browser with among a lot of other things bookmark management and so on. And it has already come quite a long way ever since 2008 so You can assume quite a lot of stability …

Just my 2 cents ... ;-)

• My issue is rather simple. If I cannot develop a practical workflow in a browser I can't use it.
    Opera(Dev) is loaded on my only Windows box just to see if it will ever come near the functionality of Opera(Presto).
    I have tried others and the only solution is a modified workflow with SeaMonkey (or possibly FireFox). It seems to have the best bookmark support for my thousands of bookmarks and for the way I like to do things. Definitely not perfect but workable.
    I will stick with Opera(Presto) until it is no longer usable or something comes along…

• As to the original question … in principle, Opera is faster than Chrome. They also have some of the familiar shortcuts and gestures (I said "some"), and speed dial with folders (for those people requesting multiple speed dial pages). Whether all that makes up for the lack of actual customization and the whole bookmark fiasco ... come to think of it, the question was Chrome/Iron (I haven't looked at Qupzilla) so the customization thing doesn't really apply there. Compare to 12.16? That's a different topic with a different answer. The only reason I can see to choose Chrome or Iron over Opera 19/20 is bookmarks - or to spite Opera Software.

Chopera is faster than original Chrome, it doesn't have the site problems that has in Opera 12, and I think Chopera stiil not ready yet. The idea of using SD as Speed Dial is practical but you have a thing as "speed dial extensions" and this doesn't have all the functions of the old O12 bookmark manager, this shows a fail.

I prefer give a chance for Chopera because I know the Opera devs quality to do a godd browser.

• @JayL:

Except for some irrational nostalgia i for one really cannot find any reason using this new not_fully_functioning Opera.

To make it short: That's the point. (with emphasis on irrational)

(Except Chrome. Chrome I would never use because it is Google. That´s enough as reason.)

• @JayL:

Reasons for using "Chromopera" (Opera-New) instead of SRware's Iron, Qupzilla or Chrome itself?f?

I could rather give you some reasons for not to use it ;)

However after testing all the above candidates I've landed with Firefox.
    While Presto is still my main browser, Firefox ESR is the main candidate I would consider as a replacement.

• Advantages of Chromopera:

• compared to Opera12: Compatibility reasons from the rendering engine.

• compared to Chromium: Closing last tab doesn't quit the browser, Mouse gestures.

• compared to Firefox: really none.

There are more disadvantages of Chromopera than advantages.

• @JayL:

Did You ever try Qupzilla which i had mentioned at the end of my original post? Especially their SpeedDial resembles that of Opera probably as close as possible.

No, I didn't try it. I was referring to speed dial in Chrome and other "major" browsers, which add pages to speed dial without me asking for it. I will check Qupzilla out.

Edit: Indeed, it's more similar to Opera's SD compared to most browsers, but I still think Chromopera SD is more polished (not as good as original Opera, but close).

• I'm using new Opera Blink because of off-road feature.
    i'm on mobile net, and off-road is helping a lot with data compression (cut in the half).
    In old Opera presto turbo mode is still active, but old Opera is loosing breath with new pages, plus off-road have better compression ratio (around 20% better than turbo, probably because of Opera Mini servers).
    If we put compression out of the picture, Maxthon would be my choice.

• What makes Chromium, SRware, Qupzilla and even Otter preferable to Opera Blink?

Open Source!

Opera was my last browser without source code and I will never ever use a closed-source browser again. Especially if it is a closed-source fork of an open source project. "Freetards" ;) predicted, that a proprietary software vendor will screw their users one day, and they were right in the end. I was burned by Opera and I learned my lesson.

Opera, if you want me to use Opera Blink, please provide the complete source code along with build instructions, thank you!

• @jtsn:

Opera, if you want me to use Opera Blink, please provide the complete source code along with build instructions, thank you!

Makes me wonder if you would have been able to put all missing features back in if it were open source …

• I would think the only reason would be that it is as fast if not faster than Chrome without all the google tracking. So, good for very casual browsing?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.