[Bug and Suggestion] Download pop-up window

• So, when you click a link to download something it appears a pop-up window with the file info, asking if you want to Save/Open/Cancel the file. Bug: the size of the file is always 0 bytes After clicking Save, the download panel (in the side bar) automatically shows up. Suggestion: I would like an option to disable the automatic opening of the side bar in this situation.

• @Wrakor:

Suggestion: I would like an option to disable the automatic opening of the side bar in this situation.

+1 - I also would like the same option to disable the auto-opening of the downloads sidebar.

I would also like an option to disable saved webpages and images saved from a webpage (via right-click context menu "Save image as…") from appearing in the Download Manager and reserve it for "true" downloads.

And eventually I would like an option to have a fully functional Download Manager pop open in the background in a separate window (with size and screen placement to be selected by user and remembered by Vivaldi so Download Manager re-opens with same size and placement in future). I always set up Opera 12.x this way and find it very useful when needing to manage multiple downloads.

• +1 to the downloads panel not popping up, and +1 to the images etc. not showing in the downloads.

Also would be great to be able to select where to download every time I download something, but I assume that is coming even without asking. Always, always always hated the very idea of a single "download to" folder.

• @jubuttib:

Also would be great to be able to select where to download every time I download something, but I assume that is coming even without asking. Always, always always hated the very idea of a single "download to" folder.

I'm curious, have you seen that in some other browser(s)? If so, how does it work? (I don't recall ever seeing such an option and I'm trying to visualize a way it could work as an enhancement, rather than a nuisance that slowed me down.)

You probably already know this, but as a "workaround" in Windows (not sure about Linux or Mac) you can browse to a different location for each download you right-click and "Save link as…" or "Save image as..." This works, but is rather cumbersome. For the most part I find it faster to just download to a single folder and move anything I want elsewhere later.

• @gdveggie:

I'm curious, have you seen that in some other browser(s)? If so, how does it work? (I don't recall ever seeing such an option and I'm trying to visualize a way it could work as an enhancement, rather than a nuisance that slowed me down.)

In many browsers, at the same location where the default download folder can be set there is an option "Ask where to save each file" or similar. So instead of downloading to a single default download folder automatically the user can choose a (different) location for each download.

This may be an interruption of the workflow for some or an advantage for others but having yet another option would definitely be very Vivaldi-like. :)

• @tardigrada:

This may be an interruption of the workflow for some or an advantage for others but having yet another option would definitely be very Vivaldi-like. :)

I agree with that completely.

But I'm trying to visualize an efficient way to quickly navigate to a different destination folder each time and all I'm familiar with are various UIs that allow one to browse to the destination, which would really slow me down.

I guess I could imagine it being much quicker if there was a UI that allowed the user to specify maybe 3-10 user-selected destinations, so all you had to do was click on the preferred destination for each download. (Like WinXP had icons for My Recent Documents, Desktop, My Documents, My Computer, and My Network on the left side of the Save As dialog… ...and I just discovered there is a way to customize those in WinXP that I never knew about.)

• @gdveggie:

But I'm trying to visualize an efficient way to quickly navigate to a different destination folder each time…

I've got a program for sorting files. It sits in the context menu and allows the copying or moving of files to predefined locations. It started with an empty list. Each time I used it, I had to select the destination first. After each operation I was asked whether I wanted to keep this location in my destination list. After a while I had a list of frequently used locations and now I can simply click on one of them instead of selecting the location for every file operation.

In a browser something similar could look like this:

• Click on a download link.

• Download pop-up appears with four (instead of the current three of Vivaldi) options:

• Save, Save to, Open, Cancel

• The "Save to" button could have a drop-down menu with predefined destinations to choose from.

• Clicking on "Save to" would trigger the common "Browse to" action.

• The predefined destinations could be set either under "Settings" or after each "Save to" (with "Browse to") operation the user could be asked whether he wanted to keep the chosen location as one of the predefined locations.

OR

• in the context menu “Save as” with a submenu including “Browse to” and the predefined locations.

Would that be efficient?

• Yes, I think initially I was too locked into the existing Win7 "Save As" dialog without realizing I was locked in. My recollection of the WinXP "Save As" dialog, and of my wish back then to be able to customize the icons/destinations on the left side helped break me loose.

And your description reminds me of similar cumulative destination/search/etc lists, so I can see how a "frequently used" list could easily grow automatically as it is used… ...and would be quite efficient, much more efficient than what I was imagining. ;)

I would have already voted for it (for others) but I would probably opt for it myself now, especially if it always defaulted to "Last Used" if I didn't select anything else.

Edit: BTW, what's that program you used for sorting files?

• @tardigrada:

@gdveggie:

But I'm trying to visualize an efficient way to quickly navigate to a different destination folder each time…

I've got a program for sorting files. It sits in the context menu and allows the copying or moving of files to predefined locations. It started with an empty list. Each time I used it, I had to select the destination first. After each operation I was asked whether I wanted to keep this location in my destination list. After a while I had a list of frequently used locations and now I can simply click on one of them instead of selecting the location for every file operation.

In a browser something similar could look like this:

• Click on a download link.

• Download pop-up appears with four (instead of the current three of Vivaldi) options:

• Save, Save to, Open, Cancel

• The "Save to" button could have a drop-down menu with predefined destinations to choose from.

• Clicking on "Save to" would trigger the common "Browse to" action.

• The predefined destinations could be set either under "Settings" or after each "Save to" (with "Browse to") operation the user could be asked whether he wanted to keep the chosen location as one of the predefined locations.

OR

• in the context menu “Save as” with a submenu including “Browse to” and the predefined locations.

Would that be efficient?

Maxthon has a pretty simple and fairly efficient solution. In the download pop-up there's a text field that shows the path where the file is set to be downloaded to at the moment. You can either click the Browse button next to it and open up the normal save to dialog, starting from the folder that was shown in the path in the text field (which is pretty standard), or you can write a new path there directly (nice addition), or you can also hit the dropdown list button in the text field to show a list of the last folders you've saved to (which is super nice).

It's not perfect though, since it lists all of the folders you've used and in the exact order you used them in. Either having a way to select the folders in that list manually (frankly a simple text file with a list of folders I could edit with notepad would suffice for me), or sorting them alphabetically, or ranking them by how commonly they're used would improve it quite a bit.

I also really like the context menu approach. Click on a link and it shows a "Save to…" option, which then expands to a list of folders you could manually modify. This is essentially how the FireFox extension "Save Image in Folder" works, and I love it. Icing on the cake in that extension is that it also allows you to save an image to the previously used folder (only folders on that list) by simply double clicking on an image. Super useful when trying to save all images by a certain artist for example, or in a certain theme, etc.

• @gdveggie:

Edit: BTW, what's that program you used for sorting files?

It's called "MyFolders".

• @jubuttib:

It's not perfect though, since it lists all of the folders you've used and in the exact order you used them in. Either having a way to select the folders in that list manually (frankly a simple text file with a list of folders I could edit with notepad would suffice for me), or sorting them alphabetically, or ranking them by how commonly they're used would improve it quite a bit.

I think my brain-block is mostly dissolved now. Two utilities I use regularly have similar drop-down menus for different purposes, but essentially the same functionality:

Notepad2 has a cumulative drop-down menus in the text fields for Find and Find and Replace. The Find field defaults to text currently highlighted in the editor (if any), and otherwise defaults to the last used text. In either case the text is already highlighted in the text box, so you can also just begin typing and the highlighted text will disappear and be replaced by your typing (like Vivaldi's Find in page does). The cumulative list always in last used order, which I generally prefer. I don't recall for sure but I think the list may be limited to the last 20 items, but that may also be adjustable in the settings.

Everything Search Engine keeps a running list of last searched items, but keeps a number count for each which sorts the list automatically with most used at top. I'm sure some prefer this, but I would rather have it be most recently used at top, and would even prefer alphabetized over most used. (I've been meaning to suggest those options to the developer, but haven't yet gotten around to it.) I think the list used to be limited to 20 items, but IIRC it is now limited by a user-specified length of time to keep each item on the list since it was last used (e.g., 90 days).

Both lists are contained in editable files, so you could set them up in the order you want (with Everything you would also have to reset the number count to 1), but the lists are dynamic and will then continue to be modified during use to place the most recent at top in Notepad2 and most searched (highest count) at top in Everything.

• good suggestion to implement imo

• @craft37:

good suggestion to implement imo

It has already been implemented :) You can see this option in the Settings menu, under Downloads.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.