Vivaldi crashes on launch (sync issues)

• I dualboot between Windows and Linux (Solus). I have x64 Snapshot installed on Windows and the Snapshot from Solus repository installed on Linux.
    Yesterday i had problems with Windows installation, so i had to reinstall Vivaldi there. I forgot to log out from that browser before uninstalling it... Then i got a situation where in Synced Tabs i would see tabs from previous installation. Then i tried, clearing sync on new windows installation and reestablishing it again.

After loggin in Linux, Vivaldi crashes immediately. I logged back to Windows and cleared the sync. Going back to Linux - Vivaldi still crashes. I had to disable internet and log out forcefully. I know i probably messed up, but was i supposed to experience the crashes in this situation?

Re: Vivaldi crashing everytime on boot because of sync.

@gwen-dragon said in Various problems with Vivaldi (Sync crash and extension data):

The crash on Linux can be solved by deleting the folder 'Sync Data' in Vivaldi browser config and re-login to Sync.

• @gwen-dragon
    So i deleted 'Sync Data' folder on my Linux installation. But when i log in again and start a new sync, put in new encryption password, as i press 'Start Syncing' it still crashes...

@dni_r I never had such issue with my 1.16 Snapshot on Mint, Debian and Ubuntu.
    But i do not know why your Vivaldi crashes on Solus.

• @gwen-dragon
    That's the thing, that when i just installed it in Solus, everything worked fine, i successfully started sync and it worked. But only after scenario i described in the first post it began crashing. So maybe my sync data is not fully cleaned from servers or something? Is there a log that could help me identify the problem? I could also try creating another account and see if that doesn't crash the browser.

@dni_r Any hints for crash if you start it from shell?

• @gwen-dragon
    What should i do to launch Vivaldi from shell?
    And i tried creating another account, it still crashes when creating the sync for a new user, so something got messed up in the browser.

@dni_r Start shell
    Type vivaldi-snapshot
    Copy the messages you see until crash
    Paste here

• @gwen-dragon
    It seems i managed to solve the problem by deleting not only 'Sync Data' but also 'Sync Extension Settings' folder. Now everything seems to work fine: no crashes, and sync goes through without any problems.

P.S. launching through shell does give a number of lines of text, font errors and so on. Should i be worried about that, or is that normal behaviour?

@dni_r Oh, i thought deletion of 'Sync Data' would be enough. That was always the solution for a fix of many sync problems over months, and you should know i tested sync very much as internal Vivaldi tester.

For the messages in shell: if Vivaldi is running now, please ignore the warnings.

• @gwen-dragon
    The problem repeated. Yesterday Vivaldi stopped syncing. And this time it crashes on Linux even if i delete both 'Sync Data' and 'Sync Extension Settings' folders, when setuping a new sync.
    I identified that unchecking 'Autofill' when setuping a new sync, helps to avoid crashing Linux browser, so i will not sync this feature for now (i don't think i've ever needed it)

I tried opening Vivaldi through terminal only and setup a new sync with only 'Autofill' option checked, and it crashes while in terminal a new line "Illegal instruction" appears.

The whole text on terminal in that situation looked like:
    *vivaldi-snapshot

No suitable library for HTML5 MP4 (H.264/AAC) video and MP3 audio was
    found, therefore only open codecs will play.

For assistance on how to enable proprietary media, visit:

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/html5-mp4-h-264aac-video-and-mp3-audio-support-under-linux/

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 7: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 7: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 9: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf", line 34: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf", line 35: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf", line 35: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf", line 35: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf", line 36: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf", line 36: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
    Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    [4662:4699:0603/084309.542420:ERROR:nss_util.cc(724)] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
    [4708:4708:0603/084309.630216:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(375)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
    [4662:4686:0603/084309.670053:ERROR:in_progress_cache_impl.cc(93)] Could not read download entries from file because there was a read failure.
    Illegal instruction*

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.