Make "NEW" flag more persistent in forum

• I would like to see the [b]NEW[/b] flag be more persistent in the forums, either a longer time parameter before each flag is "retired" (for lack or a better term) or a "permanent" flag that persists until I view (or mark as read) each thread with new posts. As it is now, if there are posts flagged as NEW and I step away from the keyboard too long or spend too much time drafting a post, all the NEW flags are erased the next time I refresh any forum index page. I'm not sure how long they persist now, but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 30 minutes (could be longer, but I don't think more than 60 minutes at the most). Personally, even if I am logged in, I would like them to persist for at least 24 hours. But unless it is too unwieldy for some reason I don't know about, I would probably rather have them just be permanent as they were in the Olde MyOpera forum. ...Or if there is enough interest in briefer persistency, maybe there could be a forum setting that allows users to choose their preferred level of persistence (e.g., 30 min, 60 min, 12 hrs, 24 hrs, 72 hrs, 1 wk, permanent). [color=#0000ff]Edit: I realize I wasn't quite clear enough above. My NEW flags persist [u]indefinitely[/u] as long as I stay active on the forum and occasionally refresh a forum page or open a new forum page. It is only when I go long enough (30+ min) without refreshing or opening a page that they "expire".[/color]

• My "new" flags persist for at least a matter of several hours.

• @Ayespy:

My "new" flags persist for at least a matter of several hours.

I realize I wasn't quite clear enough above. My NEW flags persist indefinitely as long as I stay active on the forum and refresh or open a new forum page occasionally. It is only when I go long enough without refreshing or opening a page that they "expire".

• I see.

• @Ayespy:

I see.

good job ayespy

• @gdveggie:

I would like to see the NEW flag be more persistent in the forums,

+1

In general the user experience and behavior of this forum is one of the worst of all fora I'm used to…...

• :pinch: Wow, I just have to say this is extremely frustrating!!!

I frequently have as many as 15-30 "New" topics flagged when I return to the forum after some time away… ...but if I step away from my machine or get preoccupied with drafting a post for as little as perhaps 30 minutes without refreshing some page in the forum, ALL my new topic flags disappear at the next forum page refresh! :angry:

I started out intending just to bump this thread as I thought surely this must just require a relatively simple setting change in Vivaldi's Kunena forums software. But unfortunately, from what I can tell, this may be an upstream issue with the Kunena forum software, with a fix supposedly contained in v3.1 which AFAICT has never been released. In addition, most of the reports on the Kunena sites seem to indicate "New" flags are/were disappearing after about 12 hours, not as little as 30-45 minutes as has been my consistent experience since I began here.

In hopes that my research to date might be helpful to other users or to forum maintenance developers, here's a listing of what I've found so far (in roughly chronological/logical order):

Kunena - Advanced Search for "new disappears" (numerous results, but many from the same few older forum threads)

Kunena - New indicator disappears (thread in forum section for reporting v3.0 defects only)

Kunena - Last topics New! sign stopped showing (seems to indicate problem fixed in Kunena v3.1 but not clear if v3.1 has been released yet)

Kunena - NEW indicator disappears from unread topics after after a day or so (nearly every other thread viewed pointed to this thread as the most relevant; last post in thread, dated Nov 20, 2013, indicates problem fixed in Kunena v3.1)

K 3.0.2 NEW indicator resets after 12 hours · Issue #1945 · Kunena Kunena-Forum · GitHub (GitHub developer thread Sep-Dec 2013 - indicates fix moved to v3.1 because of compatibility issues in v3.0 - topic closed Dec 14 2013)

New indication and server timezone issues between PHP and MySQL · Issue #2007 · Kunena Kunena-Forum · GitHub [GitHub developer thread Oct 2013-Feb 2014 –- this is a different issue but appears it could possibly be related to both this disappearing "New" indicator issue and/or the [url=https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/suggestion-box/2663-relative-dates-for-last-post-in-forum-topics-incorrect]relative dates for Last Post in forum topics incorrect Relative Date (Today/Yesterday reflects UTC rather than local time) issue I described in a different thread) –- in any case, the last post in thread, dated Feb 15 2014, indicates problem considered fixed in v3.1]

Kunena Kunena-Forum · GitHub (GitHub developer forum home page - appears to be 3.x/4.x repository and appears to indicate v4.0 is available)

Overview of branches · Kunena Kunena-Forum Wiki · GitHub [appears to indicate stable version is v3.0.x (i.e., pre-v3.1 IIUC)… ...so problem may not be fixed in stable Kunena releases ???]

Kunena - To Speak! Next Generation Forum Component for Joomla - Home (Kunena home page lists following recent releases):
    • v3.0.6 Jul 28, 2014
    • v3.0.7 Feb 1, 2015
    • v3.0.8 Apr 5, 2015
    • v4.0 Beta 1 Apr 12, 2015
    • v4.0 Beta 1 Apr 26, 2015

I'd like to know what version of the Kunena forum software Vivaldi is currently using. I didn't find it in a quick glance through the forum HTML source code, and I don't know how else to tell what it might be, but I presume at the latest it might be is v3.0.7 or v3.0.8 and it could easily be earlier.

[Note: nothing above actually seems to indicate v3.1 (with the disappearing "New" indicator problem fixed) was ever released]

• Indeed! I have been so frustrated when that happens. I have a very difficult time keeping track of new/unread messages. The solution is super simple and I'll start a new thread so as not to bury it. For me not being able to keep track of unread message has been an issue from day one with this blog software.

• @g_bartsch:

The solution is super simple and I'll start a new thread so as not to bury it.

If you have a solution, or a workaround, please post it here [attachment=1195]smiley-please360x75.gif[/attachment]

…(or post a link to your solution here if you think it's best to post the solution in a separate thread).

My only "solution" is to try to remember to refresh any one of the forum page tabs I have open about every 20 minutes or so. That's a PITA, but it works... ...except when I get so focused on something else that I forget to do it soon enough.
    Attachments:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.