Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...

• When I install a new Vivaldi instance I copy my previous Default folder over to the new install at ~/.config/Default, and it overwrites the previous Default folder. This is a convenient way to retain all my keybindings and bookmarks. Now as I see newer versions released, I'm wondering if this is OK or if it's likely to break anything.

If you need your passwords, you have to copy the Desktop password databases like GNOME keyrings or KDE wallet (depend which you use)!

Kwallet:
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/*
    ~/.kde/share/config/kwallet*

GNOME keyring:
    ~/.local/share/keyrings/*

@nullsteph said in Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...:

When I install a new Vivaldi instance I copy my previous Default folder over to the new install

On Vivaldi Help Page (F1) there is a list of files you can backup

@lamarca Yes, but they forgot to mention the Desktop's password database.
    The Vivaldi password database Login Data does not work without the encryption keys from Desktop's password store (kwallet, GNOME keyring)

@gwen-dragon I noticed it. Couple of times ago I talked about the keyring information should be included .....

• @nullsteph said in Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...:

wondering if this is OK or if it's likely to break anything.

Surely, the main issue is using a profile from an older version?
    E.g. if you install Viavldi 1.16 then overwrite the complete user/default folder with the data from Vivaldi 1.15 (or 1.14 or .... ).
    I don't know for sure but this certainly "feels" like a very bad idea !?

• @tbgbe said in Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...:

Surely, the main issue is using a profile from an older version?

For the entire Default folder, i tend to agree. I do believe/suspect/guess though that these specific files should be safely transferable across versions:
    0_1525995597745_20180511_001.png

Possibly also safe across versions, but i'd be less sure [especially in major chromium engine jumps]:
    0_1525995613273_20180511_002.png

IMO, the truly safe method [when the Source pc V is older than the Destination pc V], albeit involving a bit of to'ing & fro'ing, is to install the identical older version of V on the destination pc, copy the entire Default folder across, then let that PC's V update to current version in the usual way.

• I always start afresh.
    It removes that element of doubt that an old config may be the cause of a problem.

Once you have configured Vivaldi the way you like it a few times, it doesn't take long.
    I export bookmarks and keep a screenshot of my theme colour settings with a note of what settings I change along with extension download links.

In regards to passwords in Gnome, you can't just copy over ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring because each Vivaldi install uses a unique number to identify.

0_1526002509618_131.jpg

I use a keepassx data base to save all my passwords which I transfer over as needed and save in Vivaldi.
    Some sites, like banking, I never save in Vivaldi and and just use keepassx.

• @cantankrus said in Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...:

I use a keepassx data base to save all my passwords which I transfer over as needed and save in Vivaldi.
    Some sites, like banking, I never save in Vivaldi and and just use keepassx.

Ditto [except mine is KeePassXC].

@cantankrus said in Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...:

In regards to passwords in Gnome, you can't just copy over ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring because each Vivaldi install uses a unique number to identify.

Oh, really?
    Last year someone told me to copy the complete folder ~/.local/share/keyrings/* and that worked in my Ubuntu distries with different Vivaldi installations, but i confess i did not test it in current versions.

• @steffie Yes, individual FILES could be safe.
    However, complete folders "really scare" me.

See also the discussion here about copying from new to old (the other direction)
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/27147/closing-saved-session-multiplies-pinned-tabs-in-regular-session

• @tbgbe said in Copying ~/.config/Default folder for new installs...:

complete folders

But per my pics the sole folder i nominated was Sessions, & its contents seem pretty innocuous. As for my "safe" method, how can that not be fine? Tis like to like.

• @steffie Sorry, I meant that as general info. My reply was NOT a comment on your statement.

• @tbgbe Ahhhhhh.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.