Vivaldi timeliness adopting chromium security updates?

• While chromium doesn't have official releases and is always under development, does Vivaldi have a policy or schedule of when it adopts the chromium security releases? For example will there always be a monthly release that incorporates the latest CVE security updates available? Or is Vivaldi's policy to always release only when major CVE issue updates are added? Or is there no policy and updates are based on user feedback? If there is an article on this my DDG searches have failed me, or I'm a real dolt. duh... Cheers

As i know (personal, may be incorrect knowledge): Vivaldi devs backported newer Chromium security updates to current Snapshot and if related to Stable they may patch it.
    Security issues will be fixed as fast as they can implement it in Vivaldi.

• I also notice that the User-Agent string is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.183 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.97.1177.5. If the chromium update is being backported, I'd expect two confirmations, 1) that the snapshot release notes would indicate the chromium release adoption and 2) that the User-Agent string would reflect the chromium number (since some bad character sites are still probing the user-agent to check the security for the user.

@bvamundsen I said the that security updates from Chromium 66 are backported. I did not say the Chromium version string is backported.
    If you need to check which Chromium is backported in Snapshot please study the changelogs!

• @gwen-dragon said in Vivaldi timeliness adopting chromium security updates?:

As i know (personal, may be incorrect knowledge):

I read your reply a personal knowledge, not a policy statement from Vivaldi. I was hoping that a dev might know the policy or be able to link it.

Security issues will be fixed as fast as they can implement it in Vivaldi.

This too I understand as personal knowledge. But my second post was again to a question of policy about the user-agent string.

I always read the change-log before adopting a snapshot. The same is true about stable, read the change-log before you install on any system to avoid breakage.

FYI I run Slackware64-14.2 and install the available RPM using Slackware's rpm2tgz utility, which works perfectly to repackage the RPM as a valid Slackware package for installation.

Gwen-dragon, I know you've been around Vivaldi for a long time. I've been only using it for about six months. I do appreciate your feedback and knowledge. Please don't read into my questions anything more than someone seeking answers. At this point, reading the change-logs, it appears that Vivaldi stable and snapshot are still based on Chromium 65.0.3325.183 version. Is that wrong?

@bvamundsen That's correct. There is no hard and firm policy as to when Vivaldi will intake any Chromium version. There is no written policy in this regard at all. It is a known imperative, though not always possible, that Vivaldi will try to keep pace with the Chromium release schedule, ususally always a few days to a couple of weeks behind. However, the Chromium version in use is always included in the UA string. If, as now, there are reasons why Vivaldi has to stay on one Chromium version after another has been released, relevant security fixes are backported.

It has happened, and may happen again, that Vivaldi skips a Chromium version so as to catch back up with the Chromium release schedule. For instance, since Chromium 65 caused so many bugs and regressions, that took so long to fix, it's possible Vivaldi will never release a version on 66, but rather skip to 67 instead. However, the security fixes from 66 will not be overlooked.

Again, none of this is in writing. You may or may not get a developer answer here. They don't have time to read over the whole forum every day. They are a bit more likely to answer on the Team Blog - but no guarantee there, either. gwen-dragon and I, and other testers and moderators, are in conversation with the developers on a daily basis, and they tell us a good deal of how they are thinking, and how they are working. So we're not actually guessing when we say how these things work.

• @bvamundsen The latest snapshot release note does refer to "security backports", is that the information you are looking for?

Snapshot release

@bvamundsen said in Vivaldi timeliness adopting chromium security updates?:

still based on Chromium 65.0.3325.183 version. Is that wrong?

Correct the code core is 65.0.3325.183.
    But the Chrmium 66(!) security patches are backported into 1.15 Stable and 1.16 Snapshots as stated in the changelogs in the Team/Snapshot blog.

• @gwen-dragon @TbGbe @Ayespy Thank you all for the information. Please notice that both the 1.15 and the 1.16.1170.3 release notes do NOT list any mention of back porting. Back porting is only mentioned in in the comments. However finally in 1.16.1177.5 the change-log does say Chromium 66 security issues were back-ported.

Would it be difficult to change the user-agent string with each snapshot or stable release? Or better yet pleae ask the developers to add to the "About" page the Chromium version used with (back-ported) bracketed, if back-porting happened to an older version. It would make it convenient for users to know which version so they have some sense of what Chromium they are using. Or could a moderator, with help from development, pin an article in this forum that listed the Vivaldi release number and Chromium base? Maybe a forum page already exists that addresses the CVE's of Chromium and if they are or aren't applied? For a business user who is required to use a Chromium version with latest CVE's applied this would be really helpful. Thanks again. Cheers

• @bvamundsen You are contradicting yourself here. People wouldn't know which chromium version they are using if Vivaldi upped the string just because something has been backported. It would be misleading.

Anyway, if always up to date Chromium is your absolute priority, you should really use Chrome.

Changing the Chromium version in Vivaldi User Agent string will mislead!

The correct internal Chromium used core version is important for comparing issues to existent Chrome and Chromium versions.

• @luetage Let's break it down to three suggestions to be clear

1. The user string with the chromium used to build, but bracket with back-ported, if brackets are allow by the UserString standards.
    2. On Vivaldi "About" page start a string with the base chromium built upon, plus the added brackett (back-ported) to indicate that back-ports have been applied.
    3. A pinned page here in the Security Forum, which would show the Vivaldi Release numbers and the Chromium base used and then if any CVE's were back-ported to the Vivaldi release the CVE's applied. This page would be a best effort by someone working with the developers, so they aren't pulled away from their important work.

Actually Chrome is a terrible choice for most corporations, because it has many privacy issues and too much data gathering inherent. Chromium development is always ahead of the Chrome package. Google is the only one who really knows what is in Chrome. Kind of breaks the whole idea of open source software.

Cheers.

@bvamundsen said in Vivaldi timeliness adopting chromium security updates?:

The user string with the chromium used to build, but bracket with back-ported, if brackets are allow by the UserString standards.

That may break webpages which rely on version numbers.

On Vivaldi "About" page start a string with the base chromium built upon, plus the added brackett (back-ported) to indicate that back-ports have been applied.
    A pinned page here in the Security Forum, which would show the Vivaldi Release numbers and the Chromium base used and then if any CVE's were back-ported to the Vivaldi release the CVE's applied. This page would be a best effort by someone working with the developers, so they aren't pulled away from their important work.

If you think such pageis useful and missing in Vivaldi, please make a request.

How to make a feature request for Vivaldi
    If you think your problem can be solved by a missing feature, please add a request at https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/113/feature-requests in the corresponding thread for your browser version.

and send a report if your issue is so urgent.
    Please read How to Report a bug for Vivaldi carefully and then report the bug to Vivaldi bugtracker.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.