Easiest Way to Search Google

• Since Opera first offered it, I had the google search box attached to the end of my address bar. When I would be in the middle of reading an article and I wanted to check something out in google, I would simply put the search terms in that google box, hit enter and the search would open in a new tab. When I do that in Vivaldi, the google search REPLACES my current tab with the google search page. Currently, to keep my current tab open, I go into Speed Dial, type in my search term and then chase the results. I get my search, and I still have the original tab open. What am I missing, or is this the only way to do it?

• As far as I know, that's working as intended. I can't imagine there won't eventually be options for users to customize how the search field / address bar behave. But for now, I'll have to agree with you in that it's presently inefficient. To work around this, I've been pressing F2 to open the quick commands menu, and then typing my query into that field - which does open the results in a new tab.

• Thanks for the response. I have remapped the Quick Command for Ctrl + Z to open a new tab (Speed Dial) and I type my search in either the address field or in the google box.

I am trying to undo a habit of a lot of years.

• @litehorse3:

Thanks for the response. I have remapped the Quick Command for Ctrl + Z to open a new tab (Speed Dial) and I type my search in either the address field or in the google box.

I am trying to undo a habit of a lot of years.

Actually, new tab = CTRL+T

CTRL+Z is reopen the last closed tab.

• I found that the Ctrl + T was a big stretch for my fingers, so I went into the Settings for the Quick Commands and remapped Ctrl Z for the new tab and then Ctrl + T to reopen last closed tab.

In old Presto Opera you could hit Shift+Enter on the address field or the search box and it would perform the action on a new tab. While only Enter would do in the same tab.

Unfortunately this behaviour is not on Vivaldi, but we can request it. I vote for this.

• An_dz - That Shift + Enter was a trick I had never used before. I just jumped into my Opera 12.17 and tried - great shortcut.

I just tried it three times in Vivaldi 1.0.157.7 x32 and the search opens in a google page in a tab next to the tab I searched from. I searched from three different tabs and each worked as it does in Opera 12.xx. I am using this on a Win 7 x64 machine.

To keep the address straight in the tab I searched from, I had to reload the page, but it reverted to the original address. I went back to Opera and I had to do a reload there to keep my original address. So this shortcut is working here as in Opera.

Great shortcut. Thanks. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.