Vivaldi is opening new tabs on top of the old tab in Facebook

• When clicking a link on Facebook, regardless of whether I simply click or if I select "open in a new tab," Vivalde will open the new tab on top of the original Facebook tab. If I tell it to open in a new window, however, it will do so. At least, killing the new tab does not kill the Facebook tab. But in order to go back and forth, such as, for instance, to copy some text into a quote, I have to manually open a new tab, then direct that new tab to the URL I want it to go to.

There must be a setting somewhere that will fix this. It had been months and months since I'd even looked at Vivaldi's settings when this started, so I don't think that it was anything I did.

Whether the link opens in the current tab (most common) or in a new tab is a website setting not controlled by Vivaldi. AFAIK you can always override the current ab default by using Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click or mouse gestures to open links in a new tab.

@parrotslave said in Vivaldi is opening new tabs on top of the old tab in Facebook:

But in order to go back and forth, such as, for instance, to copy some text into a quote, I have to manually open a new tab, then direct that new tab to the URL I want it to go to.

If you setup simple mouse gestures or shortcuts for Forward and Back, it is easier to copy a URL or some text to the current post, e.g.

1. GestureRight
    2. Copy text
    3. GestureLeft
    4. Paste text
    5. GestureRight
    6. Copy URL
    7. GestureLeft
    8. Paste URL

This takes fewer clicks or keystrokes than opening a separate tab. The only case where it is less convenient is if a tab reloads automatically and you lose your post. I don't use Facebook, but here on the Vivaldi forums, I often use this method to find Feature Requests with a search reusing the current tab, copy the URL, then return to the current tab to paste the results e.g.

Option to Open Links in New Tab by Default

• @pesala I cannot stand mouse gestures. After two decades of a normal mouse (I can't remember what the mouse on my Amiga was like), I'm used to the "old-fashioned" way of doing things. With gestures, "things happen"--unexpected things. I did try various forms of clicking, and, on this Win8.1, it turns out that clicking on the Windows button at the same time will open up a new tab from the link on FB. Of course, I have to click the Windows button again to close Microsoft's abominable modern gui.

After trying various other click combinations, I discovered that I had created a number of other overlying tabs that showed up by hovering the cursor over the original tab. It was a hassle to "disappear" them. See the screenshot.

0_1525267541204_Unk tabs on top of FB tab Vivaldi.png

• @parrotslave thanks for sharing a screenshot, it makes your initial problem traceable:

You openend a new tab from within a tab group.
    The new tab is then created in the same group in the foreground (moving the existing tab aside).

It's not dependent which site you are on, but if the originating tab is in a group or standalone.

Possible solutions:

• do not use tab grouping (can also be disabled altogether)
    • use shortcuts or mouse to switch between current and previous|next tab (in group).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.