Tab Stack scrolling bug

• New with version 1.15.1147.36 (Mac)

When I create a tab stack, and then view the stack tiled side by side, the page in the left pane scrolls past where it should (both above the page content and below). Refreshing the page keep same buggy behavior. Removing problem tab from tab stack keeps same buggy behavior. Opening the same url in a brand new tab has no problems.

Steps to Reproduce

1. open two tabs with whatever web pages in each.
    2. create a tab stack with them.
    3. Use the "page tiling" button in the status bar to create two side by side panes.
    4. vertically scroll the page in the left window forever in either direction.

• @jakepaint I can confirm this.

@jakepaint That's strange. I can't reproduce this, but it might be because I'm still running El Capitan. Did you file a bug report at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/ ?

• @xyzzy I have now.

@jakepaint Thanks very much! We'll look into this.

• @xyzzy I'm running El Capitan too, maybe it isn't dependent on operating system version.

@luetage It's also entirely possible that I could be doing something wrong. 🙂

I added a note to the bug that you were able to confirm it along with a link to the original post, just to make sure that it doesn't get closed too quickly if another tester cannot initially reproduce it internally.

• @xyzzy
    I don't seem to be able to modify the bug report, but here's a screencast of it happening. Oh, and also, it's not only the left pane. Both panes sometimes exhibit the problem.

Also, in case it matters, I'm scrolling with the mouse wheel.

https://www.screencast.com/t/yZNQFcs3gyY3

@jakepaint If you have any additional information to add, simply reply to your bug confirmation email. You can attach files, provide links, or clarify your steps-to-reproduce should you find a more consistent way to reproduce an intermittent bug.

• It can also happen without tiling. I remember having seen this before and I got it again.

0_1524849829708_Screenshot 2018-04-27 19.22.09.png

This is the bug on an untiled vivaldi forum page. It doesn't go away with reloading, you have to actually close the tab and open in a new tab to fix. It endlessly scrolls on top and bottom. And it has nothing to do with the forum mod running, I can disable and reload and the bug is still there.

@luetage I was able to trigger a bit of a glitch while scrolling with a Magic Mouse and clicking while the scroll effect was "rubber banding" at the bottom of the page.

I might also not be the best person to test this. The last time we had HORRIBLE (for some) scrolling problems on macOS, it was just a minor annoyance (slightly laggy scrolling) for me.

• @xyzzy This is not the "rubber-banding" thing. I know that effect very well, but as you can see in my screencast I linked to, this is simply scrolling past where it should, then the page just stays there. When that happens, it also disables manually grabbing the scroll bar to move the page.

@jakepaint Thanks. Since this may be a hardware-specific issue, what model of Mac are you using?

• This post is deleted!

• @jakepaint That's your operating system version, not your hardware.

• @xyzzy
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Is that what you're looking for?

@jakepaint Thanks. That's exactly what I was asking for.

(...and to explain why: some bugs, for example, only trigger on HiDPI systems.)

FYI, an update... despite our best efforts, so far we have not been able to reproduce this issue internally. Several people have tried, with both our day-to-day Vivaldi installs as well as with a clean install (no extensions, default settings, default flags) with the latest Stable and Snapshot builds.

I've tried with and without hardware acceleration enabled. I've also tried enabling Smooth Scrolling... which should have no effect on macOS, but still.

I'm not sure what could be triggering this. I'm also still searching through Chromium bugs, past and present.

Does this happen on all sites or only on some? Can you reproduce this with extensions disabled or with a clean install in a test account?

Is anyone else able to confirm this scrolling glitch?

Thanks very much for any additional information that any of you are able to provide.

• @xyzzy I've just tried completely different sites and was able to trigger the bug.

However, I have some new information: it only happens when I use the mouse. Using the trackpad, I could not make it happen. In fact, after trigger the bug by scrolling with the mouse wheel, if I then using the trackpad and try to vertically scroll, the bug fixes itself and again prevents scrolling past the top/bottom of the page (except the little bounce as expected). Then if switch back to the mouse, I can trigger the bug again by scrolling up and down with the wheel.

Hardware
    I'm using a logitech MX Anywhere 2 mouse when I have the problem. I just tested this with a Apple "magic mouse" (the kind with the smooth top which is kind of like a trackpad), and I can not trigger the bug. I only have the one mouse with an actual scroll wheel to test with, so I can't test with other traditional mouses.

I use the MX Anywhere mouse all the time, and don't have any other scrolling issues on other browser or application.

@jakepaint Did you also install Logitech mouse driver software on your system? There have been some known interoperability issues (pertaining to scrolling) with Google Chrome on macOS. Chrome and Vivaldi are both based on the same browser engine, and there may be additional interoperability issues with Vivaldi.

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D5310000510e0SCAQ/how-do-i-stop-the-jumpy-scroll-in-chrome-using-a-mac-anywhere-mx2-mouse

The support article also points to a Logitech Smooth Scrolling Extension for Chrome but I don't know what impact this would have on macOS or if it is even compatible with Vivaldi.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.