Bulk deletion of passwords does not work in Windows or in Linux

• Subtitle: Import of passwords also fails in Windows.

Needed to empty the Vivaldi passwords so that I can reimport a new clean set from Firefox. This new set was cleaned of some sixty invalid and duplicate passwords.

In Windows

The password bulk deletion methods don't work. With sync disabled, I exited Vivaldi and deleted the Sync Data folder and the Login Data file, but the import of the new passwords failed. So, now I have no passwords in Windows and hope that the new sync from Linux will rebuild it.

In Linux

I had the same problems as in Windows. The password bulk deletion methods don't work. Disabled sync, exited Vivaldi and deleted the Sync Data folder and the Login Data file, but import from Firefox succeeded.

@ineuw You want to remove all passwords on your hard drive? (delete or rename the Login Data file) Or remove all passwords on the server? (use the Clear Data on Server feature in Sync settings.)

• I know how to delete the server data (which I did.)

I needed to delete all passwords from Vivaldi in Windows because they were no longer used, or were duplicates of websites which switched from http:// to https://. But the built in clear data doesn't work!

So I removed the files described above. I included the Sync Data which would have re-added these old passwords. Also deleted the Login Data file. Then, I tried to re-import the cleaned set of passwords from Firefox, but the import also did not work.

Then, I tried to repeat the same in Vivaldi Linux where clearing all passwords also doesn't work. So, I deleted the above mentioned files in the Default folder, and tried to import again from Firefox. The import of passwords from Linux worked.

I hope it's clear.

@ineuw I have never tried to import from Firefox, but I have read it can be problematic for Windows. More than one user has reported that they can't import passwords or history. I don't know why. It sounds as though bulk deletion works fine for you - but import from Firefox does not.

If you are able to get the import to work in Linux, why not just then sync that with your Windows copy, using Vivaldi?

• @ayespy said in Bulk deletion of passwords does not work in Windows or in Linux:

@ineuw I have never tried to import from Firefox, but I have read it can be problematic for Windows. More than one user has reported that they can't import passwords or history. I don't know why. It sounds as though bulk deletion works fine for you - but import from Firefox does not.
    If you are able to get the import to work in Linux, why not just then sync that with your Windows copy, using Vivaldi?

Thanks Ayespy, I noticed that many features are waiting to be implemented. No problem. Deleting the Login file worked just as well. Ended up syncing as you suggested. Vivaldi in Linux imports passwords from Firefox and then synced it to the server and back in Windows.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.