[Windows Defender] How to make your Vivaldi Browser more Secure

• Microsoft just launched a new extension that uses their phishing and malware service. Same one used on Edge.

You can install it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/windows-defender-browser/bkbeeeffjjeopflfhgeknacdieedcoml

This is of course only for Windows users. Will not work on Linux or Mac.

Microsoft's smart filter service achieved a higher ranking in catching phishing and malware sites than the ones from Google. I think it was 99% vs 87%. But this extension does not seem to disable the build in protection so now you have both working which is better.

And yes, I did a quick test and it seems to catch things that neither Chrome/Vivaldi does or my current antivirus. So I think it lives up to the reputation so far. Better security is always better 🙂

• @terere Microsoft helping Chrome users after forcing them to use Edge? Hmm!

• The extension has a list of sites it checks against, just like what google does on chromium. They should really work together on this and crosscheck their lists and merge 😛

Now this raises the question how the companies benefit by not cooperating and pushing their own products – in the case of microsoft it's a chrome extension.

• @luetage said in [Windows Defender] How to make your Vivaldi Browser more Secure:

The extension has a list of sites it checks against, just like what google does on chromium. They should really work together on this and crosscheck their lists and merge 😛

Now this raises the question how the companies benefit by not cooperating and pushing their own products – in the case of microsoft it's a chrome extension.

That is how it works if you have it installed. I think it should check both. Several of this services actually work together and are open collaboration projects. But MS probably gets additional info from its own sources that Google has no access.

• @stilgarwolf said in [Windows Defender] How to make your Vivaldi Browser more Secure:

@terere Microsoft helping Chrome users after forcing them to use Edge? Hmm!

Not really helping Chrome users. But making Windows users more secure. People don't blame Chrome when they get malware online but Windows.

And Microsoft can get some data from those Chrome users. Microsoft is just doing what they do with Android. By releasing tons of great Android apps, they are not entirely left out of the mobile world. I suspect they are going to do the same with extensions for Chrome as people are not switching to Edge.

• @luetage said in [Windows Defender] How to make your Vivaldi Browser more Secure:

The extension has a list of sites it checks against, just like what google does on chromium. They should really work together on this and crosscheck their lists and merge 😛

That would be a good idea, Vivaldi should download all 3 to their servers, Google, Microsoft and maybe also the ones that Firefox uses, which I think is Phishtank. Then once an hour this is downloaded to users computers since you need local checksum so that is fast. Doing this remotely would be insecure, add latency and waste bandwidth. All Vivaldi would do on their server side is merge the lists and remove duplicates, then users browsers pull this on each start or every time there is an update to the list.

Now that would make Vivaldi more secure than all three browsers combined when it comes to dangerous sites since its using all 3 lists.

• As one who tends to wear both a belt and suspenders when it comes to the security of my computers, I have installed the extension on my only Windows machine. The extension does not seem to conflict with the G tool, as some security tools do, so I'll keep it.
    An article from last October seems to indicate that the MS tool is superior... (?) though limited to windows machines.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.