Vivaldi closes after 10 seconds

• Tried to open Vivaldi snapshot on Linux Mint 18.3 - 64bit, it opens and then after about 8-10 seconds it closes. Is there a log that I can upload that would provide some technical info. I used it without any problems some 18 hours agos.

@ineuw In that case, I'm betting that if you delete current and saved sessions files, it will once again open without problems.

• Prior to Ayespy's advice, launch V from the terminal, not your standard Applications Menu GUI launcher [but using the identical launcher string that the menu uses]. Copy any/all subsequent error messages that appear in terminal once V launches then closes. Paste here.

• As I am reading the error messages pasted below, should let you know that the sync was on (from last night) and there was a fresh data set on the server, uploaded from Windows, but used the same password.

Here are the messages:

Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Failed to execute program org.freedesktop.secrets: No such file or directory
    ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
    [15067:15067:0415/223435.216795:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(375)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
    [1:15:0415/223438.891526:ERROR:adm_helpers.cc(73)] Failed to query stereo recording.
    [14997:15029:0415/223439.374215:ERROR:connection.cc(1945)] Passwords sqlite error 2067, errno 0: UNIQUE constraint failed: logins.origin_url, logins.username_element, logins.username_value, logins.password_element, logins.signon_realm, sql: INSERT INTO logins (origin_url, action_url, username_element, username_value, password_element, password_value, submit_element, signon_realm, preferred, date_created, blacklisted_by_user, scheme, password_type, times_used, form_data, date_synced, display_name, icon_url, federation_url, skip_zero_click, generation_upload_status, possible_username_pairs) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)
    Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Failed to execute program org.freedesktop.secrets: No such file or directory
    [14997:15421:0415/223447.808884:ERROR:get_updates_processor.cc(244)] PostClientToServerMessage() failed during GetUpdates
    Illegal instruction (core dumped)

• @ineuw I know nothing about Sync [don't use it, on principle], & can't directly help solve your problem, but presume that a Dev will be able to make sense of what is causing the core-dump to occur.

Linux Mint 18.3 --> yes but what DE?

I used it without any problems some 18 hours ago --> given this, IMO you next should follow Ayespy's advice to get you going again.

• Hi, check with a new profile, sometimes it is faster to start from scratch-
    I need 10 Minutes to setup Vivaldi as I like it and 10 to write this message. ;)

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/10388/refreshing-or-cleaning-your-profile

Cheers, mib

• Hi @ineuw , in addition to @Steffie suggestion, you can use:
    vivaldi -sustart in Terminal (i don't know if it's the same result about Steffie hint), anyway shuold be faster ;)

• @marko-indaco
    what does -sustart do?

• Thanks again for all the answers, but nothing helps because

a. If any of the above posts require accessing features from within Vivaldi, then you missed the title of the post. :-).
    b. I have no idea where are session files folder and what the filenames would be.
    c. Been searching the web for the past hour for info for Vivaldi for Linux file locations.
    d. vivaldi -sustart gives the same result as /usr/bin/vivaldi-snapshot %U pasted in the terminal.
    e. What is "DE"
    f. How to create a new profile in Vivaldi?

• Just go to About Vivaldi (on the Help menu) and see where it says your profile path is - or is it longer than 10 seconds to get the menu to display? Should be in ~/.config/vivaldi or something like that - mind you, folders starting with a "." are normally hidden in Linux, if you haven't told your file manager to show hidden files you may just want to type ~/.config in the location bar and go from there.

@ineuw Give ma a moment to boot into Linux and I will answer these for you.

@ineuw OK. Your profile folder is in /home/(username)/.config/vivaldi/Default.

If you're running the Snapshot, then that will be /vivaldi-snapshot/Default.

If you simply rename the Default folder, it will give you a fresh profile - and if that works, you can move the critical data from your old folder to your new one. If you want to simply delete the session files, they are in the Default folder, and are any files with the word "session" or "tabs" in the name.

• @ineuw said in Vivaldi closes after 10 seconds:

Thanks again for all the answers, but nothing helps because

a. If any of the above posts require accessing features from within Vivaldi, then you missed the title of the post. :-).

None does.

b. I have no idea where are session files folder and what the filenames would be.

0_1523860131429_20180416_009.png

e. What is "DE"

Desktop Environment... is your Mint DE Cinnamon, KDE, Mate, LMDE, Xfce?

f. How to create a new profile in Vivaldi?

Hang on, will post a link here to Ayespy's instructional post, unless he beats me to it...

• Thanks again to all. Moved the /user/.config/vivaldi-snapshot folder with all its subfolders and this created a new profile within 10 seconds, Then I restarted the sync, This may have been a brutal move, but it was the best thing to do. My bookmarks and password files, extracted from Firefox, are saved separately and that is all I need for my work. Good night y'all.

Do you use Sync?
    I get crashers on Mint after updating from 1.15.1111.3 to latest Snapshot.

• @cantankrus hey, for what I can say it open the chosen application with SU privileges by loading also Terminal and giving log info. I cannot explain better because I'm new with Linux. What I notice is the fact the Terminal windows takes priority to application (and related GUI), indeed you cannot close the application without even closing the Terminal window.
    Sorry for few info about but I don't find anymore the webiste where I found that command...

• @marko-indaco
    Never heard of sustart and google shows nothing.
    If I run here, vivaldi -sustart it does nothing and in fact gives the same result as running vivaldi -strangeword
    I think it may be a flag related to one particular application.

• @cantankrus Hmm yes, it's weird. Google dodn't show nothing. Anyway, after some try I got this: command works only whit Vivaldi and Firefox but not with Chromium nor Chrome. At this point I guess shuold be realated with some library or whatever.
    It seems a browser-related command. LOL it's really weird cause if I try - for example - GIMP it say: Unknown option -sustart

I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 (Cinnamon - 64bit) - Vivaldi 1.14.1077.60 (Stable channel) (64-bit) - Firefox ESR 52.7.3 (64bit)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.