Remove Speed Dial, Bookmarks, History bar (again)

• I tried removing this in a new instance of Vivaldi on another computer and got this output. What is wrong? Thank you.

drew@dell:~$ su
    Password:
    root@dell:/home/drew# gedit /opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi/style/custom.css

** (gedit:2539): WARNING **: 11:18:59.682: Unable to connect to dbus: The connection is closed

(gedit:2539): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:18:59.737: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(gedit:2539): dconf-WARNING **: 11:18:59.755: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(gedit:2539): dconf-WARNING **: 11:18:59.765: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
    Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)

(gedit:2539): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:18:59.922: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(gedit:2539): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:18:59.922: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(gedit:2539): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:18:59.922: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(gedit:2539): dconf-WARNING **: 11:18:59.969: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(gedit:2539): dconf-WARNING **: 11:18:59.971: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(gedit:2539): dconf-WARNING **: 11:18:59.973: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

• @llewellen
    Not that I fully understand permissions and DBUS but it probably has to do with how you're logging in.
    This opensuse forum post has a similar issue.

If I want to login to a terminal with root privileges I use sudo su
    As a normal $USER does gksudo gedit /opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi/style/custom.css work?

If you use @Gwen-Dragon's script as in THIS post, you don't need to create the custom.css file as root.
    Create the file in a location owned by you and the script will prompt for your Admin passsword
    to copy your custom file and patch the browser.html file.

• @CantankRus : Thanks for this. That other computer has crashed, for reasons unconnected with this Vivaldi issue, so i need to reload the O/S on it and then try your suggestions.

• @llewellen
    ok. Good luck.
    Some light reading for you. :-)
    Understanding the difference between sudo and su

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.