Dead bird on webpages having audio



  • I noticed the dead bird occur first with google, usually when I search for the definition of a word. I tracked this down to the audio file linked for pronunciation.

    Apparently the following is enough to reproduce the issue with a local file:
    <audio src="a"></audio>

    The only condition is that the file 'a' should be a valid audio file (The bug is not reproduced with an empty file).

    The issue first happened when I tried to force-kill an instance of nc (netcat) using 'pkill -9 nc' (not a good idea, I reckon) while I was also using vivaldi. I'm using the i3 window manager - and the entire gui crashed (can't remember if the x-server itself crashed -probably not). I don't know if nc matched something that runs in the background to play audio for vivaldi.

    What does vivaldi use to play audio files in linux? Is there a way to disable audio completely until I find a fix.

    Vivaldi version:

    Vivaldi 1.13.1008.34 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision b6fccac0c52b4c99d9e782ecd46c3537fbea1b28-
    OS Linux
    JavaScript V8 6.2.414.43
    Flash (Disabled)
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.97 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.94.1008.34
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi --always-authorize-plugins --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end

    $ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
    Release: 16.04
    Codename: xenial

    'uname -a' gives the following strings: 4.4.0-116-generic #140-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux


  • Moderator

    It appears to be a lack of codecs. Vivaldi must be able to reproduce the three videos on the test below:

    https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

    Let's us know the test result. Also, your version is outdated



  • @lamarca that link gave me the dead bird error again. But then I updated the 'vivaldi-stable' version as you hinted and after that it worked. All three videos played (I assume the audio was working as well - I didn't want to play it loud in the office)

    This is my current version:
    Vivaldi 1.14.1077.60 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision 44919e4fea5e7e6a209f00d1780f799bf211e559-
    OS Linux
    JavaScript V8 6.4.388.46
    Flash (Disabled)
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.189 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.95.1077.60
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi --always-authorize-plugins --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi

    It appears to work on the troublesome google page as well, and I can hear the pronunciations. Thank you very much. I'm still puzzled though why it suddenly stopped working with the old version I was using earlier.


  • Moderator

    @tiva Linux has some small issues with proprietary Audio and Video.
    On Vivaldi Help (F1) pages there are two handy scripts to enhance Vivaldi:

    1. HTML5 Proprietary Audio and Video on Linux
    2. Manual installation of Widevine

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.