Dead bird on webpages having audio

• I noticed the dead bird occur first with google, usually when I search for the definition of a word. I tracked this down to the audio file linked for pronunciation.

Apparently the following is enough to reproduce the issue with a local file:
    <audio src="a"></audio>

The only condition is that the file 'a' should be a valid audio file (The bug is not reproduced with an empty file).

The issue first happened when I tried to force-kill an instance of nc (netcat) using 'pkill -9 nc' (not a good idea, I reckon) while I was also using vivaldi. I'm using the i3 window manager - and the entire gui crashed (can't remember if the x-server itself crashed -probably not). I don't know if nc matched something that runs in the background to play audio for vivaldi.

What does vivaldi use to play audio files in linux? Is there a way to disable audio completely until I find a fix.

Vivaldi version:

Vivaldi 1.13.1008.34 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision b6fccac0c52b4c99d9e782ecd46c3537fbea1b28-
    OS Linux
    JavaScript V8 6.2.414.43
    Flash (Disabled)
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.97 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.94.1008.34
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi --always-authorize-plugins --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end

$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
    Release: 16.04
    Codename: xenial

'uname -a' gives the following strings: 4.4.0-116-generic #140-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

It appears to be a lack of codecs. Vivaldi must be able to reproduce the three videos on the test below:

https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

Let's us know the test result. Also, your version is outdated

• @lamarca that link gave me the dead bird error again. But then I updated the 'vivaldi-stable' version as you hinted and after that it worked. All three videos played (I assume the audio was working as well - I didn't want to play it loud in the office)

This is my current version:
    Vivaldi 1.14.1077.60 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision 44919e4fea5e7e6a209f00d1780f799bf211e559-
    OS Linux
    JavaScript V8 6.4.388.46
    Flash (Disabled)
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.189 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.95.1077.60
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi --always-authorize-plugins --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi

It appears to work on the troublesome google page as well, and I can hear the pronunciations. Thank you very much. I'm still puzzled though why it suddenly stopped working with the old version I was using earlier.

@tiva Linux has some small issues with proprietary Audio and Video.
    On Vivaldi Help (F1) pages there are two handy scripts to enhance Vivaldi:

1. HTML5 Proprietary Audio and Video on Linux
    2. Manual installation of Widevine

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.