Put All Platforms sub-forum first

I would like to suggest placing the All Platforms sub-forum over the platform specific sub-forums. I believe this would reduce the amount of non-Windows specific discussions going into the Windows sub-forum. I believe many, specially new users, simply miss the All Platforms sub-forum as they stop when they see the Windows sub-forum. This may happen on the other sub-forums as well but I don't follow them as closely.

• @An_dz:

I would like to suggest placing the All Platforms sub-forum over the platform specific sub-forums.

Just to clarify, by "over" I think you mean first in the list (undoubtedly just me, but at first I imagined a hierarchical arrangement with All Platforms as parent and platform-specific sub-forums as children).

Hmm… interesting idea. I wonder if it would work as you imagine (I think it might, and one can always hope)... ...but I can also imagine the opposite, with more Windows-specific traffic mistakenly posted in All Platforms.

Yes, I meant first.

Better to have Windows stuff in All platforms than the opposite.

As I pointed I rarely look the Mac & Linux sub-forums, so I miss a lot of the stuff there. Mostly I look the Linux forum when I'm on Linux and I believe that many who have a Mac does the same as me, just check their own OS and All platforms, so they may miss a lot of non-OS-specific discussion that goes on Windows sub-forum. I see that the ratio Windows/non-Windows specific threads is too low so if Windows specific question go inside the All platforms the ratio will be much lower.

• I would be even more drastic, removing completely the dedicated sections.

The whole forum is a relatively low traffic one and having separate sections is more a complication than a simplification.

Just asking the users to mark clearly the questions could be enough.

I mean something like

[Linux-bug ]dependency problem
    or
    [Windows-problem] slow startup

Good solution, the platform specific are only for bug reporting as most suggestions should affect the browser on all platforms.

• @The_Solutor:

…The whole forum is a relatively low traffic...

With every review or mention of Vivaldi elsewhere on the Internet, it seems to me that traffic is accelerating rapidly, with lots of newcomers who aren't very familiar with their own OS, let alone other OSs. If Vivaldi is anywhere near as successful as we "enthusiasts" hope, traffic will likely grow exponentially in the not too distant future.

Just asking the users to mark clearly the questions could be enough….
    [Linux-bug ]dependency problem
    or
    [Windows-problem] slow startup

Good luck with that. :P I think getting most users to entitle their posts this carefully would be 10x-100x more difficult than getting them to find the correct OS section of the forum.

…And with the rapidly increasing traffic, I could easily imagine the volume overwhelming a single-section forum and answers needing to be unnecessarily qualified ("If you're using Windows..., but if you're on Linux..., and if you're on Mac, then..."). Even now in the Windows section alone, there are any number of posts that I would hesitate to answer if I couldn't "just assume" the user was actually using Windows.

@An_dz:

Good solution, the platform specific are only for bug reporting as most suggestions should affect the browser on all platforms.

There certainly are a lot of cross-platform issues, and I agree "most suggestions should affect the browser on all platforms." I'm also still intrigued by your suggestion to put All Platforms first in the list (the more I think about it, the more it seems like a good idea).

But from my perspective, basic differences between Windows and Linux (installation paths, registry entries, etc.) seem to warrant separate forums. The majority of questions I tune in to and/or reply to are of the "how-to" variety, not the bug-reporting variety. Many are cross-platform, but many are Windows-oriented. I barely know enough Linux to (usually) know when to not answer a Linux question (which is most of the time :P). And I wouldn't even presume to answer a Mac question. But I would rather not have to sift through all the Linux and Mac questions to find the Windows users I may be able to help.

Now I think that as well as putting All platforms first also rename it to Vivaldi browser suggestions.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.