Sync doesn't automatically start

• From time to time, I realize that Sync hasn't started. I go to Settings > Sync, type in the password and the encryption key, etc., to start Sync.

Does the login status expire after a certain period of time?

@ryofurue said in Sync doesn't automatically start:

Does the login status expire after a certain period of time?

No.
    The Sync starts after about 10 seconds, may be there was a login problem or a server reset in the past, then you need to re-login.

• @gwen-dragon: Thanks.

may be there was a login problem or a server reset in the past

Yes. I read the Vivaldi' team's announcement a while ago that the server program was modified and all users' sync was reset so that everybody had to re-login.

My question is, then, has the server problem gone away? Like yesterday morning, I had to re-login to Sync once again this morning.

@ryofurue In case of server restarts or temporary downs or errors Sync logs out on browser. A auto-re-login is not implemented yet. That is the reason why you have to re-login for Sync.

• @gwen-dragon said in Sync doesn't automatically start:

@ryofurue In case of server restarts or temporary downs or errors Sync logs out on browser. A auto-re-login is not implemented yet. That is the reason why you have to re-login for Sync.

What about today (31 March 2018)? Did the server go down? A few minutes ago, I launched Vivaldi and found

1. I was logged in to Sync; but
    2. Sync hadn't been started.

Is this one of the normal states?

If so, we have three states: 1) Logged out, 2) logged in but not sync'ed, and 3) sync'ed.

In any case, my ultimate question is, is this behavior I'm seeing a bug or an expected behavior on the browser's side? (This problem may be due to the server, but that's not what I'm asking.)

• @ryofurue
    Hi, I am working on 3 different systems today an all start syncing after start of Vivaldi.
    At moment on a HP ProOne 440 G3 AiO 2TP33ES#ABD Pentium with a Opensuse Live system and Vivaldi 1.15.1137.3

Cheers, mib
    EDIT: Sometimes I am logged out from Server but after login all work fine again.
    As already mentioned.

• @mib2berlin: Thank you for your comment.

After the weekend, I started Vivaldi five minutes ago and I had to login to Sync again.

(By the way, is Vivaldi's password manager supposed to also handle the Sync password? Each time I have to type the password and the encryption key.)

If this continues for a few more days, perhaps it's not due to problems on the server's side. Perhaps I'd file a bug report.

@ryofurue Every time I open Vivaldi, irrespective of delay, it logs in to sync automatically.

That said, whether I have used it the same day, or within the same hour, or within the last day or two, it will sometimes show as not connected. Then I have to log in again with username and password. There is no case wherein the username or password are automatically supplied. You have to type them. If only the upload commit is failing, then I have to log out and back in again.

• Today, Sync didn't start on the other computer I use. So, I submitted a bug report: VB-39124, although I'm 90% sure the problem is known.

Today, as before, Vivaldi had logged in to Sync but Sync hadn't been started.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.