Use Trash Icon to Show the Clear Private Data Dialog

• Include an option to bring up the "clear private data" dialog by clicking on the trash icon in the tab bar.

Something like opera 12.xx where clicking the trash icon revealed the dialog while holding down left mouse showed closed tabs.

@cantankrus I don't see this behaviour in Opera 12.xx

All is see is LBM click to show the closed tabs, and RMB to show the context menu to customise the toolbars.

RMB context menu would probably more discoverable than any combination of Shift+Click, etc.

• @pesala
    Been a long time since I've done anything in opera 12.16 except view mail.
    Looking in opera > appearance > buttons it appears I added some custom buttons.
    ...and from my bookmarks may have been from HERE which amazingly is still up and works.
    You can add a hold button or a button with a secondary arrow.
    0_1522201839559_075.jpg

• This should be optional because otherwise someone could click that by mistake and have all his cookie and browsing data cleared can be very annoying for some users that have logged into a lot of different sites.

@terere It would show the Clear Private Data dialogue, Just press escape or click cancel if you open it in error.

0_1522405414726_Clear Private Data.png

The dialogue will remember your last used setting.

• @pesala, even so, I prefer to keep things away from the menus that are not frequently used by most people to avoid visual clutter.

Personally, I don't delete the cache from Vivaldi as often because it is my main browser. I use another browser that deletes the cache automatically on closing it for that kind of stuff or just use the private mode on Vivaldi for quick testing instead of bothering to delete data all the time.

I can totally understand that some people may use this button one click away but this should be optional. The reason is I don't want to babysit my cursor now if I clear the history in the trash icon (it is small enough already) in case I slight miss it and press the other option. If there is only one option it requires less mental training. The more options you add to any menu, the less comfortable it gets to use.

I also find it faster to use the shortcut and CTRL+SHIFT+DEL. Since deleting the browsing data is not something an average user continually does in daily use, it makes sense that power users already use the shortcuts for those type of operations if they use them a lot.

Personally, I don't even use the Clear All option on the trash icon. The only times I click on the trash icon is to restore a previous tab which is not the last one since for that I find it faster just to use CTRL+Z

@terere It is difficult to right-click by mistake when you meant to left click. Also, difficult to Shift+Click when you meant to Click.

In my opinion the best option is long click. Try long click on the back or forward button. Perhaps you did not even discover that menu yet?

• @pesala I already right click on the back button sometimes but since my hands are most of the time on the keyboard I find it easier to use shortcuts instead. I prefer to also use the mouse gestures for going back and forward on sites.

The right click on the back button is something different. That is to go back in your current tab or site, the trash icon is to restore closed tabs/sites. CTRL+Z re-opens the last closed tab. While similar they do different things.

• @terere
    Everyone has there own use case scenario.
    I predominantly use the mouse and frequently delete my history.
    The trash Icon seems a logical place to bring up the "Clear private data" dialog.
    There is no visual clutter as the icon already exists.

• @cantankrus said in Use Trash Icon to Show the Clear Private Data Dialog:

@terere
    Everyone has there own use case scenario.
    I predominantly use the mouse and frequently delete my history.
    The trash Icon seems a logical place to bring up the "Clear private data" dialog.
    There is no visual clutter as the icon already exists.

The option would go under or above the Clear All option. That is the clutter I was referring too. Not really something to be concerned, just saying...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.