Whatever happened to HTTP resume?

• I cannot find any function or extension that allows interrupted files to resume downloading. I frequently have an unreliable internet connection and long downloads are dicey. In the old Opera, I could click 'resume' and the HTTP resume function would continue downloading where the previous download failed. How can I get this functionality in Vivaldi?

Just to be clear, I am not talking about the feature that allows pausing downloads and resuming them later. I am talking about continuing an interrupted download where it left off.

@chuser Vivaldi supports this automatically if the server where the download is hosted supports it. If the server doesn't support it, nothing can be done.

I do not know what HTTP resume means in a technical way.

I guess, it is the HTTP feature to fetch byte ranges.
    That works on servers who allow to fetch parts of files or data streams with ranges.

• The point is, even if the server supports HTTP resume, there is no way that I can see to command Vivaldi to do so. How is this done?

IIRC it uses Content-Range to continue downloading a partially downloaded file. I believe the relevant RFC is 7233, though I could be wrong.

• @chuser I think if you pause something in the downloads panel, and the start it, resume will automatically be used if it is supported.

• @chuser said in Whatever happened to HTTP resume?:

In the old Opera, I could click 'resume' and the HTTP resume function would continue downloading where the previous download failed.

IIRC, in Chromium-based browsers, resuming a download (on supported servers) only works if you pause the download. If it fails for whatever reason you can't resume like you can in Opera 12. I didn't test though.

• @lonm

@lonm said in Whatever happened to HTTP resume?:

@chuser I think if you pause something in the downloads panel, and the start it, resume will automatically be used if it is supported.

No, no...I'm not talking about pausing the download. I have an unreliable connection and the download gets interrupted. Rather than start all over and have my download interrupted again, I want to resume the download just like Opera.

• @chuser in that case it starts to sound more like buggy behavior.

Though if chrome doesn't have that then it may be intended from chromium's ends.

Might be worth a feature request to have auto detect if the server supports resume, and if so pause a download if it fails.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.