Make Address Bar Autocomplete Less Aggressive

• When I'm typing something, and press [ENTER], I always get the first matching URL, although I just want to send a search request for the word, so I have to delete autocompleted part.

I would like to see a behavior closer to bash, where you have to press [TAB] to get autocomplete result.

If you want to see how it looks like in bash, watch this: YouTube Video

Thanks.

• I believe it's standard behavior in all modern browsers.
    Can't you just press space before enter?

• @greenenemy @hoytridge

Standard - (sadly) true
    Annoying - also true

I don't mind this as a default behaviour if I only can disable it via settings.
    Sometimes I know better than browser where I want to go.

I am sure that that every user experienced "typetypetype-ENTER-whaaaaat?" moment in history...

• Yes, totally agree.

Option to use [TAB] to validate the auto-completion would be a nice solution!
    However, it would mean using [TAB] then [ENTER] to validate the full address. We coud add an other shortcut, like "[SHIFT]+[ENTER]", to do it all in one.

The behavior would be (optional setting):

• [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar without auto-completion, and go to URL / start search
    • [TAB] ➡️ Accept the current auto-completion, but do not validate address bar.
    • [SHIFT] + [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar with auto-completion, and go to URL / start search
    • [CTRL] + [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar without auto-completion, and add ".com" (already implemented)

The here-upper behavior could be an option, so that default settings work exactly like now (no unexpected change for other users). This would invert [ENTER] and [SHIFT]+[ENTER] actions, see here-under:

Default settings:

• [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar with auto-completion, and go to URL / start search
    • [SHIFT] + [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar without auto-completion, and go to URL / start search

• The auto-completion is indeed aggressive. Most of the times when I want to go to the homepage of a site I visited before I have to constantly delete the URL and be very careful.

Example, I want to go to example.com and Vivaldi fills example.com/something/visited/before

Sometimes when I delete everything very quickly until the .com part Vivaldi still goes to the full complete URL and not the homepage. Maybe a bug.

• @greenenemy said in Make Address Bar Autocomplete Less Aggressive:

I believe it's standard behavior in all modern browsers.
    Can't you just press space before enter?

NO 🙂

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.