Make Address Bar Autocomplete Less Aggressive

• When I'm typing something, and press [ENTER], I always get the first matching URL, although I just want to send a search request for the word, so I have to delete autocompleted part.

I would like to see a behavior closer to bash, where you have to press [TAB] to get autocomplete result.

If you want to see how it looks like in bash, watch this: YouTube Video

Thanks.

• I believe it's standard behavior in all modern browsers.
    Can't you just press space before enter?

• @greenenemy @hoytridge

Standard - (sadly) true
    Annoying - also true

I don't mind this as a default behaviour if I only can disable it via settings.
    Sometimes I know better than browser where I want to go.

I am sure that that every user experienced "typetypetype-ENTER-whaaaaat?" moment in history...

• Yes, totally agree.

Option to use [TAB] to validate the auto-completion would be a nice solution!
    However, it would mean using [TAB] then [ENTER] to validate the full address. We coud add an other shortcut, like "[SHIFT]+[ENTER]", to do it all in one.

The behavior would be (optional setting):

• [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar without auto-completion, and go to URL / start search
    • [TAB] ➡️ Accept the current auto-completion, but do not validate address bar.
    • [SHIFT] + [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar with auto-completion, and go to URL / start search
    • [CTRL] + [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar without auto-completion, and add ".com" (already implemented)

The here-upper behavior could be an option, so that default settings work exactly like now (no unexpected change for other users). This would invert [ENTER] and [SHIFT]+[ENTER] actions, see here-under:

Default settings:

• [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar with auto-completion, and go to URL / start search
    • [SHIFT] + [ENTER] ➡️ Validate the address bar without auto-completion, and go to URL / start search

• The auto-completion is indeed aggressive. Most of the times when I want to go to the homepage of a site I visited before I have to constantly delete the URL and be very careful.

Example, I want to go to example.com and Vivaldi fills example.com/something/visited/before

Sometimes when I delete everything very quickly until the .com part Vivaldi still goes to the full complete URL and not the homepage. Maybe a bug.

• @greenenemy said in Make Address Bar Autocomplete Less Aggressive:

I believe it's standard behavior in all modern browsers.
    Can't you just press space before enter?

NO 🙂

• What everyone said. This issue needs more attention and votes please.

• I'm not a fan of the tab solution...
    For me, the best behavior would be using the down key instead of the tab key. I know that even multiple tabs have a meaning of cycling through the option on a command line, but in a browser I use tabs to cycle through controls on a page, not for other things...

If I type forum.vival and then Enter, the browser would try to go to http://forum.vival ;
    If I type forum.vival, then the Down key and then Enter, it might go to this page, for instance, if it was the first in the dropdown
    And if I want the second or third in the dropdown, I just press down a few more times. As a matter of fact, that's already how it works 🙂 So the only thing to implement, really, is to stop autocompleting so aggressively (and granted, the default could still be as is, as that seems to be an industry standard, and the option not to autocomplete would be just fine for me).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.