Videos often don't play (YouTube, StackSkills, etc)
StackSkills is set to play HTML5 videos, but those don't work at all.
Here's an example:
Click on the Watch Promo link. The video will open, but nothing happens when I click on the play button.
Here's another link which should work without logging in:
On YouTube live videos don't work, for example.
Promo video has content blank tab. Same on other browsers like Chrome 65 or Firefox 59.
Image in video appears.
Can not reproduce your issue with 1.14.1077.55 and 1.15.1130.3 on Windows 10 Pro x64.
Please check if you have use extensions which block.
and/or try opening vivaldi://flags and resetting them.
TbGbe last edited by
Both those videos just show an empty browser window (Safari on a mac?) but the audio plays fine for me - Win 10 Pro using Vivaldi 1.15.1130.3.
I also watched a live video on Youtube with no problems earlier today!
So be sure to make the checks @Gwen-Dragon suggested.
I have just installed this browser today and resetting any flags doesn't change anything.
The promo video plays fine in Chrome.
Using Vivaldi 1.14.1077.60 (Stable channel) (32-bit) on Windows 10 Pro N x64. The only extensions I am using are uBlock Origin--which I have disabled on the sites which are giving me problems--, Awesome Screenshot and SwitchyOmega. I am using those same extensions in Chrome without problems. In a private Window those extensions don't get loaded and I've got the same problem there.
The YT livestream also complained about missing HTML5 capabilities even though most YT videos play.
Windows 10 Pro N x64
Pro N does not have all codecs installed.
Install Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN editions
@gwen-dragon Thanks for the tip, but it didn't change anything. The videos did work in Chrome before.
The videos did work in Chrome before
Chrome is irrelevant in this case as it has its own builtin codecs.
but it didn't change anything
Perhaps some old settings or broken profile distrubs the playing of video.
Try to reset your Vivaldi browser profile.
and recheck without installing extensions or making any settings.
I re-installed and started with a fresh profile and without any extensions and am getting the same results.
Running out of options here so I guess I will have to stick to Chrome for a while. May try again at a later date.
Thanks for your help!
I fear it may be a issue with the video hardware acceleration and decoding.
Perhaps your GPU is blocked in Vidaldi/Chromium code.