Ted Talks

• Personallly, I feel uneasy with bash shells and alien packages from other distros. Will Vivaldi one day deliver a product that isn't crippled? You delivered a Ted Talks icon for use in Vivaldi, yet Ted Talks do not work as delivered, without a mish-mash of stuff that only developers understand. As I try your offers of help my anxiety level rises to a point where I would rather quit Vivaldi that risk crippling my current distro. I'm old and I take very little on faith anymore. I really like your product and its features, but even my old Firefox ESR can play Ted Talks. And that without eye of a newt and toe of a frog.

• @albert-wagner
    Uneasiness with the bash shell and Linux does not mix well.
    Video on most websites requires proprietary codecs.
    Vivaldi is free for me to download and use so I don't expect them to pay licences to bundle proprietary codecs.
    It's up to you workout how your distro deals with the issue.
    In Xubuntu it only requires me to install one package.

@albert-wagner said in Ted Talks:

I feel uneasy with bash shells and alien packages from other distros

Vivaldi needs extra codecs as it has no licence to add them by default in browser like Firefox.
    You should install the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra of your Linux software pool.

Works to hear Ted Talks on Vivaldi Stable 1.14.1077.55 and Snapshot 1.15.1125.3 with chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra 64.0.3282.167

• @CantankRus
    I think that you missed my point.
    No one said that Vivaldi should pay for proprietary codecs.
    I simply suggest that it's not yet ready for prime time.
    I simply note that even an old obsolete version of Firefox can handle Ted Talks.
    It's not bash shells that bother me.
    It's huge bash shells that my distro blocks from execution and warns me not to use.
    It's bash shells offered without thorough testing on all linux distros.
    It's bash shells instead of proper libraries.
    And bash shells aside, it's the use of packages from other distros who did their own homework.
    I am not afraid of bash shells nor linux. Over 20 years ago, I built and ran for 5 years on Linux From Scratch.
    I am simply loathe to stir strange things into a soup that took me quite a while to make.

• @albert-wagner
    Maybe the Linux distro you're using isn't ready for prime time. 😛

On SolydX OS I can download a chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra deb

cd ~/Downloads
    wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/c/chromium-browser/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_64.0.3282.167-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb

extract the libffmpeg file

ar p chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_64.0.3282.167-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb data.tar.xz | tar Jx ./usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so --strip 4

and place it in ~/.local/lib/vivaldi/

install -Dm644 libffmpeg.so "$HOME/.local/lib/vivaldi/libffmpeg.so"

None of this is going to mess with your system.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.