Google Privacy/Tracking/History issue

• OK, thanks everyone.

Now, these extra Chrome settings, I'm wondering how the average Vivaldi user would know about them. I can't find any link in the menus. The general url seems to resolve to: chrome://settings or vivaldi://settings. I've managed to bookmark that but I can't link to it from my own webpage. Any way round that? Or any way to add a link to the Vivaldi Settings menu. I mean, I may not remember these 'secret' settings in a year's time. Opera 12 has 'secret' settings too reached via opera: config - but I can link to that from my own webpage.

Relating to this is my concern about Chrome. What actually is it? And what is its relation to Vivaldi? Wikipedia has entries suggesting it is Google code. Are there any security issues with that?

@fidcalq said in Google Privacy/Tracking/History issue:

Now, these extra Chrome settings, I'm wondering how the average Vivaldi user would know about them. I can't find any link in the menus.

As these are internal chromium settings they are not included in Vivaldi settings page.

I've managed to bookmark that but I can't link to it from my own webpage.

Works only with a bookmark or typing in address field. not as a link, that is a known bug.

Relating to this is my concern about Chrome. What actually is it? And what is its relation to Vivaldi?

Vivaldi has no relation to Chrome (that is the Google browser).

Are there any security issues with that?

If known they will be fixed by Vivaldi developers.

• @fidcalq said in Google Privacy/Tracking/History issue:

OK, thanks everyone.

Relating to this is my concern about Chrome. What actually is it? And what is its relation to Vivaldi? Wikipedia has entries suggesting it is Google code. Are there any security issues with that?

You may want to read what the chromium browser is.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)
    Being open-source I sincerely doubt google is going to slip anything nefarious into the code.

• @fidcalq said in Google Privacy/Tracking/History issue:

The general url seems to resolve to: chrome://settings or vivaldi://settings. I've managed to bookmark that but I can't link to it from my own webpage. Any way round that?

I use Vivaldi Notes to save these chrome:// links (and add a description of what is there).

Relating to this is my concern about Chrome. What actually is it?

See https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/25513/vivaldi-built-using-chromium-but-different-from-chrome/

• OK, thanks. Guess I'll just have to accept it's probably safe but it's not surprising there's confusion when it's claimed to be chromium not chrome yet the hidden settings url is called chrome and both chromium and chrome set up by Google who I wouldn't trust any more than I'd trust a jackal to guard a hen house. 😉

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.