Useragent string modification via extension stops working from 1.13 -> 1.14



  • I noticed since the upgrade from 1.13 Vivaldi (stable) on both Fedora 26 Linux (vivaldi-stable-1.13.1008.44-1.x86_64 to vivaldi-stable-1.14.1077.50-1.x86_64) and Windows 10 (1.13 to 1.14.1077.50 (Stable channel)), that extensions which would normally allow you to alter the useragent string no longer function.

    The same extensions, with the same settings, work in the current version of Chrome: Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit). I have tried many different ones and they all appear to have the same difficulty: User-Agent Switcher for Chrome, Custom UserAgent String, User-Agent Switcher

    Example using http://www.useragentstring.com
    Chrome's normal useragent string:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.167 Safari/537.36

    Activate the extension and I get:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Windows NT 6; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.12 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.587.0 Safari/534.12

    A successful switch for a Windows 10 Chrome which can now impersonate being my Linux machine! The extension did exactly what it should have done.

    However, in the 1.14 versions of Vivaldi (at least the Windows 64bit and RPM 64 bit packages), the same extension with identical settings produces:

    Vivaldi's normal useragent string:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.170 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.95.1077.50

    Activate the same extension with the same settings as before and I get:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.170 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.95.1077.50

    Nothing changed.

    I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this situation as well and/or has a possible fix?
    I have tried completely re-installating Vivaldi and wiping out the entire configuration settings and only installing the useragent changer extension, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

    It is like Vivaldi lost the ability to change useragent strings in the upgrade from 1.13 to 1.14. (note: I'm still running 1.13 on my production machine with the extensions in place and they work fine, but I would like to upgrade to the newest version for some feature/security fixes included in 1.14.)

    Many thanks,
    -- Tim



  • And nevermind :) It would appear that I downloaded the latest snapshot 1.15 and it fixes this issue. So it must be a known bug. If anyone else gets this, I loaded 1.15.1099.3 (Official Build) (64-bit) and this fixed the issue under windows. I now just have to see if this fixes it for Linux tomorrow. So 1.14 seems to have a bug with extension useragent manipulation.

    1.15 snapshot got the useragent string of:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Windows NT 6; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.12 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.587.0 Safari/534.12

    which is exactly what it should be (at least for Windows 10).

    -- Tim


  • Moderator

    @tkl said in Useragent string modification via extension stops working from 1.13 -> 1.14:

    I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this situation as well and/or has a possible fix?

    I don't have any problem with UA spoofing. It's for Linux users.
    There are two ways:

    1. Dev Tools: open the website, hit F12 - select Network on the Menu >> click on Network Conditions >> unckeck Select Automatically for User Agent >> pick the new UA from the dropdown menu and refresh the page.

    ua1.md.png

    1. Using command line switch :p

  • Vivaldi Translator

    @lamarca „ It's for Linux users“. — No. It’s a standard feature of the Developer Tools themselves. it means it’s present on Mac, Windows & Linux.


  • Moderator

    @zmeypc said in Useragent string modification via extension stops working from 1.13 -> 1.14:

    it means it’s present on Mac, Windows & Linux.

    Thanks for the info. I didn't know Dev Tools is Multi-Platform.



  • Aye, I could do it via Dev tools, but not via extensions. I use one of the extensions that let's me assign a URL a specific useragent string since Duo (https://duo.com) refuses to believe that Vivaldi is capable of performing u2f functions (sigh). So if I change the Duo frame to report being "chrome", it works perfectly.

    I just checked this morning on my office machine using 1.15.1099.3 (Official Build) snapshot (64-bit) and the extensions that did not work under 1.14 are working fine. So it has to be something about the handling of useragent strings in the 1.14 version since 1.13 works perfectly, 1.14 breaks, and 1.15 snapshot works perfectly.

    Thanks for the help!
    -- Tim


  • Moderator

    @tkl Yes, that is a bug in 1.14 Stables where extension couldn't change webrequest in browser.
    That is fixed now in 1.15 Snapshot.



  • @gwen-dragon Thanks for confirming, wise Gwen Dragon. May a thousands Perls of non-obfuscated regular expressions fill your day with unlimited joy :)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.