Complete freeze when starting page requiring authorization from an external click
iherman last edited by
(The events are a bit more complex, but I could not get everything into a title...)
Consider the following:
- Vivaldi's window is not visible (ie, Vivaldi is in the dock only)
- My mail app is in a separate screen (more exactly, it is a full screen app)
- I click, in a mail, on a http link to a page that actually requires authorization (in my case, as an example, it can be https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/ )
- At that point, due to a bug already reported elsewhere (filed as "VB-37120"), Vivaldi's window does not pop up. So I have to switch screen manually and click on Vivaldi in the dock.
- The window comes up and the system freezes. Note that the separate pop-up asking for my credentials does not show up at all (which may be the reason of the complete freeze) although I cannot even change tabs.
At that point my only option is to shut down Vivaldi via Mac's force quit feature.
Manually adding the URL like the one above works.
Needless to say, it is annoying. It may be related to the bug I was referring to.
Running Mac OS 10.13.3, ie, the latest version of High Sierra, on a Mac Book Pro. Vivaldi version is 1.14.1077.50
Must be a Mac-only issue. :(
As it works on Linux and Windows.
Can you please report the freeze to Vivaldi devs.
How to do a bug report for Vivaldi
Report each bug separately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
Describe the issue as precise as you can.
Add some information about extensions you use.
Add information about the operating system and version you use.
Add some information which security tools you use.
If you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics
Add a exact link to the page where the issue comes up and can be tested.
After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as
attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX
bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).
Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!
iherman last edited by
O.k. I have just submitted a report.
Confirmed. You can also trigger this with the following steps:
- Set Vivaldi as the default browser
- Ensure that all Vivaldi passwords are cleared
- Launch Vivaldi (Vivaldi opens with Start Page)
- Minimize Vivaldi window to the Dock
- Open Terminal and issue the following command:
- Click on Vivaldi icon in Dock to restore window
Result: Vivaldi Freezes.
Also, a "Force Quit" is not required; "Vivaldi / Quit Vivaldi" from the macOS menu bar works... and (usually) triggers a crash.