Shortcuts are messy!

• I'd like to know what's technically possible, difficult, hard, etc., about customizing shortcuts on webpages.

What I'm getting at is text editors on the web. For such things to work smoothly, the user or the web designer has to be able to decide whether each shortcut is captured by the browser or sent to the web application, on a per-site basis.

I'm editing a multi-author manuscript on an online editor. Because I'm an emac user, I've chosen the emacs-style shortcut set. (Apparently, the developers of the online editor are tech-savvy enough.) But, many of the standard emacs shortcuts don't work.

I asked the customer support. A partial answer was that the browser prevents some of the shortcuts from being re-assigned. One example was Ctrl+W. The tech support person states that this one cannot be re-assigned because its the tab-closing shortcut on Windows. (I use the Mac, and I don't know whether that's really a correct answer.)

This is a dealbreaker for me for going cloud. Is there any comprehensive solution to this problem? Or should one have to abandon the idea of keyboard shortcuts when one wants to go cloud?

• In my experience, this just will not work properly. Better to just stick to emacs.

@ryofurue You can simply reassign any shortcuts that you wish to use so that they are not used by Vivaldi. For example, remove the Ctrl+W shortcut, and use Ctrl+F4, or use the x button, double-click the tab, or assign a different shortcut for Close Tab

• @pesala Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. But, that's not my point at all. I mentioned Ctrl+W just as an example, because that's what the customer service said is impossible to re-assign. My questions are, rather,

1. Can one re-assign any shortcut at one's will?
    2. Will Vivaldi (or any other browsers for that matter) have a feature that shortcuts are customized on a per-site basis?
    3. Better still, can JavaScript re-assign any shortcuts (after obtaining the permission from the user)?

For web applications to work smoothly, the answer to question 3 must be yes. It would be a lot of work on the part of the user if she/he would have to customize the shortcuts for each site.

The text-editing features are so different from site to site, shortcuts are so different and incomplete, that it's extremely frustrating to edit text online.

• @caine If you predict future from your past experience, I agree with you 100%.

But my question is whether this is a fundamental technical problem. Maybe it's not. It's possible that the development is just taking time and in the future, online applications may become as capable as the desktop counterparts. If so, the browser will become the OS. (Incidentally, that's Google's idea behind their Chrome OS.)

• @ryofurue It is fundamental in so far that if OS and applications have identical keyboard shortcuts then you have a conflict that cannot be generally resolved. Either one of them takes precedence, you execute both (not generally possible), or you need an shortcut escape/prefix command (Like C-c in emacs for mode-specific commands or edit/command mode in vim).

@ryofurue said in Shortcuts are messy!:

Can one re-assign any shortcut at one's will?

There are a few reserved Windows shortcuts like Shift+F10, which won't work even if they are assigned to execute Vivaldi commands. Any command in Settings, Keyboard can have its shortcut removed to avoid conflicts with website shortcuts, or have a different shortcut assigned to it.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.