[SOLVED] Ted Talks videos doesn't work

• Vivaldi 1.14.1077.45 64 bit. Ted Talks videos doesn't work.
    Ted talks are using HLS player format. How to install this format in Debian based Linux?

• You need a non-open source codec, which are generally not provided by debian because of their free software guidelines.

But you can get these from ubuntu in debian packages that are easily installed and updated. This is how I did it on my debian system.

#1 add repositories from ubuntu to your existing sources.list:
    /etc/apt/sources.list:

# chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra from ubuntu to play H264 videos:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu devel-proposed universe
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu devel          universe

#2 add preference to allow only these selected packages from ubuntu into your debian system:
    /etc/apt/preferences.d/my-sources.pref: #new file in that directory, .pref suffix important

Explanation: block all ubuntu packages
    Package: *
    Pin: origin "archive.ubuntu.com"
    Pin-Priority: -1

Explanation: do not block ffmpeg-extra but lower priority than debian
    Package: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
    Pin-Priority: 476

Explanation: another h264 package from ubuntu like ffmpeg-extra, also lower priority than debian
    Package: oxideqt-codecs-extra
    Pin-Priority: 476

and finally, just like any other package, including full checks for conflicts and dependencies

apt-get install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra  

The really nice thing about getting these codecs in this manner is that you stick to the debian package management system to update software, instead of blindly copying shared libraries that might interact with other, possibly future, applications that you might install.

And, of course, every time you run apt-get update, you'll find out about new versions of these packages, just like any other package installed on your system. I see new versions of this codec package about every 6 weeks.

• Thanks both of you!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.