Page loading extremely slow
Page loading seems to initially stall for a really long time (>20s). Even vivaldi://about takes several (sometimes >5) seconds to load.
The issue went away for a while but is now back with a vengeance. Loading vivaldi://about now takes >14 seconds. Approximately same delay when opening developer tools.
Running version 1.15.1090.3 (Official Build) (64-bit), Revision c8346f3cb5895ae369a5deae4eaeb7a90690c81d-
@r0brain There's something interfering with Vivaldi's normal functioning. The two primary suspects for this would be one or more extensions, and/or security software.
Thanks for replying @Ayespy. Naturally I tested with all extensions disabled but no change. I also tested latest stable version:
1.14.1077.45 (Stable channel) (64-bit) Revision 416aa8c28dba11af9ad54090f9e67662438acc75-
Same result. Still using the same profile though. And a lot of open tabs (39 to be exact).
There is a manged ESET security software running on the machine. Is this known to interfere with Vivaldi? Both have been running on the same machine without problems for months so the issue is fairly new.
@r0brain ESET has, indeed, been implicated in interference with Vivaldi functioning in the past. I don't know whether it has sufficient whitelisting options to stop this interference altogether, but it couldn't hurt to try. We have sometimes seen that security software will have no problem with Vivaldi until some update or other, at which point the Boolean logic of the AV suddenly decides Vivaldi or some aspect of it is a potential threat - at which time Vivaldi either gets blocked altogether, or every time it tries to do something like open a page, the operation gets passed through the AV and "inspected," which slows things down immensely.
To test if it is or could be an extension instead, it is necessary to do more than "disable" them. Rather, one should refresh one's profile. This will also cure the instance where the current session contains a problem tab which is crippling the browser.
Disabling security software does not stop all of its background activities like screening files and operations. The only way to do that is to remove it from the system. Same with extensions. Disabling them does not always remove their impact on browser operation. Removing them does. A profile refresh is a rather quick and simple process and a good first step to see if what's wrong is confined to the browser. If It's still unusually slow after a refresh, then one needs to be looking into interference from the system.