Remove "Validate" from context menu

• I don't know who use it. It's mostly useless.
    Even vivaldi.com is invalid!

@kurevska_registracia Web developers use it to check their code. The option was on the old Opera 12.18 page context menu.

Requests to remove features are unlikely to gain any traction. Vote instead for the option to edit menus.

There is great value in stripping menu items that one seldom uses as it speeds up access to features that one does use. This is my heavily edited Opera Context Menu. As you can see, there's no "Validate" option there.

0_1517922102048_Opera Context Menu.png

If I did sometimes need to use it I would use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+V in Opera. The command is not yet available in Vivaldi, so the menu item is essential for those who do use it.

• @pesala Hmmm... I voted. But I don't think editing of menus is planned feature... :|

@kurevska_registracia Well, no. That is why we have a Feature Request forum.

Any that are already being worked on are tagged as PIPELINE

• @pesala Ok. But because editing of menus isn't done, I requested this feature.

@kurevska_registracia The request makes no sense. Why not remove "Cast" or "Inspect Element" or "Back, Forward, and Reload" because I never use any of them.

Every user is going to have his/her own features that he/she wants or does not want on the menus. Removing one is sure to annoy someone, so why would the devs do it?

• Just this suggestion doesn't make sense, but in general the OPTION to edit context menu would be nice. More options in Vivaldi all around would be nice, hide them deep somewhere so they aren't there to confuse users who don't care for them but would still be available for heavy users.

@shadess But the thread does not request the option to edit the Context menu; it merely asks to remove the "Validate" item.

• Upvoted because removing a option from the pop up menu does NOT remove that feature, it simply changes the default behaviour of the user interface. My suggestion is to move it by default to the "tools" menu.

Even if and when there is a chance to edit the menus (I really hope so, and soon) we still may discuss the default layout.

The "validate" feature is good and it should stay. Having it by default on the main pop-up menu looks like the typical option made by coders ("hey! this is super useful to me, it must also be so to everybody") that forget that most users do not need it.

• Voted for Editing of Menus instead because it's a general solution to this and similar problems.

The thing is, this is on the page context menu because it relates to the page, as do view source and inspect element.

I agree that these items don't interest the majority of users, but if they are removed many would not discover them hidden on the tools menu or in Developers Tools (which may be where they best belong).

I think discussing what should be on the default menu would only lead to fruitless debate. If the menus can be edited, that will avoid the need for any debate: Don't like it? Then edit it to suit yourself.

The default page context menu in Opera 12.18 is similar to Vivaldi's and full of clutter that I never use. Compare to my customised menu above.

0_1518121705071_Opera 12 Default Page Context Menu.png

• @pesala said:

I think discussing what should be on the default menu would only lead to fruitless debate. If the menus can be edited, that will avoid the need for any debate: Don't like it? Then edit it to suit yourself.

So should I propose that we stop having menus at all? Bunch it all up in one mega menu, and then each user defines its setup? That would be silly, right?

Anyway, your current argument is a good one - I don't agree, but it is a good argument. My main point about the previous argument was that it was too narrow, as removing an option from a menu is not the same as removing the feature.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.