- Vivaldi Browser
- Vivaldi browser for Windows
- [1.14.1077.41] Random high CPU usage in latest version
Most webmail issues have been resolved. Again, sorry for the inconvenience. In case you still have some issue please contact us.
[1.14.1077.41] Random high CPU usage in latest version
After the last update or so, a random vivaldi window will sometimes just start burning CPU cycles like its life depended on it. I typically have 3 windows open and it's never easy to tell which one. Sometimes it happens just in a window displaying only a "speed dial" type screen, so it's not an issue with any third-party content.
Is there a fix for this?
[modedit] added missing version in title
LonM last edited by
I've seen this happen too, sometimes. It is worth opening the task manager, via Menu > Tools or with Shift+Esc. That will let you know where the cause is.
Unfortunately when I do this, the cause usually ends up being in the browser background page which isn't super helpful for figuring out the cause. however, it might show you an extension, which you can then disable / bug the developer about.Reply Quote 0 1 Reply Last reply
Starting with an earlier iteration of Vivaldi version 1.14 for Windows (I'm running on Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1709; Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz; 16gb RAM; 4gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980), Vivaldi always zooms to high CPU usage when I open a browser window at outlook.live.com to check my email. And it only occurs when I turn on the beta version of that email page. As soon as I turn off the beta version and reload, the high GPU goes away. Perhaps there is a common source to our problems, in the way these webpages have been coded by their authors. The CPU problem continues in this latest version of Vivaldi (1.14.1077.41 (Stable channel) (32-bit)).
Hadden89 last edited by Hadden89
I noticed sometimes.
Few times was due wrong adblock whitelist - maybe on a site affected from cryptominer which use our CPUs to do money.
Other time was just an abnormal cpu usage on streaming sites or heavy social sites like fb (I'm not sure yet what trigger this - bug, wrong setting, missing patch or update).
Still happening and not localizable to an extension - seems to be vivaldi's own "background page" process, whatever that is.
Vivaldi is starting to get hard to trust properly. I really don't want to switch back to either Firefox or Chrome either, though.
Have you seen this thread: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/24302/vivaldi-uses-all-of-the-available-memory-after-udate-to-1-14/42
High CPU, Sometimes memory leak + crash
Reply Quote 0 1 Reply Last reply
Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.