Regression of viewing videos in vivaldi (and flash)

• I'm running version 1.14.1077.41 on Windows 10.

I've been using Vivaldi for quite some time as my default browser and was pretty happy about it's behavior. I use it on a daily basis mostly for viewing videos, but unlike other users I don't like to wait for the buffering. That's why I prefer to start a video, pause it, wait until it's fully downloaded and then I can watch it without any issues. Some of the HTML videos weren't able to be used this way, because they were always buffering just a short period ahead of currently viewed time, but there was a possibility to use the flash player which was preloading the full video instead.

And everything was fine until the two last versions, but the update to 1.13 changed the game which wasn't fixed in the version 1.14. Currently even the flash player buffers only a portion of video (30 seconds ahead of time) and there's no way to enable full preload.

I've seen few topics about that issue on the Internet (mostly regarding chromium), but none of the fixes is possible to be implemented (one of them is to use the chrome://flags/#prefer-html-over-flash flag, which is not implemented in the vivaldi).

Please note that some old browsers like Firefox 50 with the newest flash (28,0,0,137) is working correctly, so they allow to preload full video not just a small buffer.

Also there's one fun fact about the vivaldi and flash - in private mode the flash is not working as it should - meaning it's not working at all. If I open the page: https://get.adobe.com/pl/flashplayer/about/ in normal window it shows correctly installed flash: "You have version 28,0,0,137 installed", but when I open it in private window it shows me that the flash is not installed. Even though there's a setting that the flash should always be allowed and for that particular site as well. I have just a context menu with the option to "enable flash" after clicking which the page... refreshes without flash.

If you consider your browser to be used by the power users then why don't you let the users to decide themselves how they want to consume the Internet media? And if you don't give your users the power to set their browser the way they like, but force them to just "one-fits-all" solution then what makes you different from "yet-another-chrome-like-browser"?

Such issues with Flash Player are really ugly for some users.

@qwedsa said in Regression of viewing videos in vivaldi (and flash):

chrome://flags/#prefer-html-over-flash flag, which is not implemented in the vivaldi).

Not, it is not a Vivaldi implementation issue. That flags does not exist anymore in newer Chromium 64 versions and as a fact in Vivaldi 1.14 and 1.15.

@qwedsa said in Regression of viewing videos in vivaldi (and flash):

Currently even the flash player buffers only a portion of video (30 seconds ahead of time) and there's no way to enable full preload.

How and where can i test it?

• Ok, I investigated a little and it turns out that the issue is due to the native m4v display.
    You can check it here for example:
    mirrors.
    standaloneinstaller
    [com]/video-sample/jellyfish-25-mbps-hd-hevc.m4v [remove space]
    If you open it with vivaldi only the first 20 seconds will be downloaded and then it will be stopped. While on the Firefox the whole file is downloaded and cached.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.