Path of .exe file not in application

• Vivaldi has install path: ...\V in folder V we can see two folders: Profile and Application. in Application folder we can see vivaldi.exe it's not comfortable to use .exe not in root of install folder. Can you move .exe file into ...\V folder? [img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7647/16744177769_258ecae408_o.jpg[/img]

• I have to disagree. I prefer the application sub-folder to be where the executable (and other program functional files) reside - in a single, compartmented package. With such an arrangement, in part when updates of the browser occur, they don't risk messing up the user's profile sub-folder by writing "above"it… I don't want installers even messing around with the installation's root folder.

• If you're disagree so need option to user. Now it's not comfortable to use without shortcut (portable version).
    Also, just make application folder is main and move profile folder there. I mean v-folder = application folder's files + profile folder.

• That's a "problem" pretty easy to solve.

You can use a real (Unix like) symbolic link

Just open an admin prompt in the Vivaldi directory

Then type

mklink Vivaldi .\Application\vivaldi.exe

Thats all. The path is relative so it still works if you move the Vivaldi folder around.

–--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway it works just on modern filesystems, so is not a solution for pendrives, if formatted FAT16/32

If your case is the latter, you can have almost the same effect trough the fake (win95 like) links, aka shortcuts.

Just go to the Vivaldi folder create an empty link and paste this

%windir%\explorer.exe .\Application\vivaldi.exe

in the destination field

Leave the following field blank (delete anything inside).

Then customize the icon, if you want.

This works on FAT and on network mapped drives too, but likely you will have to set the icon again if you move the folder around, because looks like the relative paths aren't allowed on icon's field

You can also use both types of links at the same time, with the same (apparent) name.

• @HiMyNameIs:

If you're disagree so need option to user. Now it's not comfortable to use without shortcut (portable version).
    Also, just make application folder is main and move profile folder there. I mean v-folder = application folder's files + profile folder.

I'm not sure, but I think the following test installation image illustrates the setup you're wanting. If so, see how to do it in this post in the other thread that you started on the same subject.

The stp.viv file contains only the relative path "..*" (without the quotes). If you want the Profile folder to be contained inside the program version number folder (1.0.142.32 in this case), use ".*" instead (but this probably isn't a great idea as your next update will be in a new program version number folder).

Finally, bear in mind that beginning with the latest Developer snapshot 1.0.151.7, Standalone installations now name the profile folder "User Data" instead of "Profile", but the files contained in the folder are the same.

[attachment=1026]VivaldiTEST.1.0.142.32withvivaldi.exeand1.0.142.32DictionariesandProfilefoldersinStandaloneinstallationfolder.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• gdveggie
    you can see how it's in opera (not good with old junk folders, but cosy with .exe + app + profile in main folder for portable):

• @HiMyNameIs:

Well, like I said, if I understand what you're asking for (from both your description and the Opera folder screenshot), the method I described seems to be how you can achieve it (with a few minutes of manual tweaking). If you try it and it isn't what you are want, please clarify further what you are wanting instead.

But maybe I've misunderstood and you're requesting the Vivaldi developers to redesign the folder structure their installer creates. If so, that would be up to the developers.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.