Open-source Vivaldi

• This is probably never going to happen but for the sake of completeness: Release Vivaldi as open-source.
    Open internet needs open browsers.

( And I am curious how often the goto statement is used by Vivaldi developers :-) )

• I'll link it here (again for completeness' sake), the source of the chromium part of the codebase can be downloaded from here: https://vivaldi.com/source/?lang=en_US

This what Jon said on the topic:

A few words about Open Source & Vivaldi

February 19, 2016 3 comments
    I got a question from users while doing AMA on Twitter regarding the license of Vivaldi. I replied with a short answer due to Twitter’s character limitation but I thought I would post longer answer here.

Our source code package is available here: vivaldi.com/source. This links to a copy of the Chromium source code with the changes we made to allow our HTML/CSS/JS UI to run.

All our changes to Chromium source code are under a BSD license and hence can read by anyone. The details are explained in the the README and LICENSE files, within that package.

In addition, all of our UI code (included in normal packages) is written in plain, readable text. This means that all parts of Vivaldi are full audit-able and open from that perspective.

Posted in: Blog, Technology
    Tagged: browser, open source

Posted by Jon von Tetzchner

• I am aware that the main parts of Vivaldi are available in source. But will this continue to be the case? Will the (possibly available) email client also be available in source? Will you be able to use your own server for Vivaldi's upcoming synchronisation feature?

My definition of open-source is also slightly larger. It additionally relates to the open development of a software. E.g. being able to see features commited to public repositories, checking out the most recent version of Vivaldi (at the moment, vivaldi.com/source does not list version 1.14), and also accepting contributions from the community.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

Vivaldi is Open Source, but not GPL or free soft. Do not confuse these concepts. Open Source does not mean more than the Source Code is available, but not necessarily that it is also free to create another browser for another company, but if it is free so that the user can create a Vivaldi based on this source code to your size or suggest codes to improve its operation for other users.

• @catweazle This feature request is not about dumping Vivaldi's source code once in a while, it is about developing Vivaldi in the open.

I would like to see Vivaldi developed in a public repository (what about https://github.com/vivaldi ?), where people are able to fetch the current state of development any time and are able to submit contributions that can be discussed in public.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@christian-rauch said in Open-source Vivaldi:

@catweazle This feature request is not about dumping Vivaldi's source code once in a while, it is about developing Vivaldi in the open.

I would like to see Vivaldi developed in a public repository (what about https://github.com/vivaldi ?), where people are able to fetch the current state of development any time and are able to submit contributions that can be discussed in public.

This may one day come true, but for now Vivaldi has some unique features that other companies would like, Google with Chrome first.
    Vivaldi being still a fairly new browser that also wants its share of the market, completely releasing its code would be suicide.
    It is understood therefore that Jon at the moment wants to safeguard his inventions

• @catweazle
    Soo, we just have to help Vivaldi kill Chrome and Firefox, and then it can safely become free software?
    Got it. Will recommend it to all the people.

• Contributions are usually welcome, it's already happened (on github)
    Vivaldi chromium patches if found are checked up from devs and merged if/when possible :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.